Tenant wants to install Austar Satellite dish

Hi There...

Our tenant wants to install an Austar Satellite dish on our rental property.

Should we let them? What are the pro's and con's of this? What happens to the satellite dish when the tenant leaves - do they take it with them and fix the damage caused to the roof?

Thanks.

Andy

If you have no real objection then just approve it but with conditions.

1 - Installed by professional installer - they should prepare a plan to be provided to you. This will ensure that no building issue should arise and if they do you have someone to point the finger at.

2 - Ones installed it becomes part of the property and is left behind upon vacancy.

I have a block of units and have been approached by 2 tenants to install foxtel (austar). Their intent was to hang a dish of the wall outside of one of their windows - great look when all 15 units want to do the same.

To get foxtel to install cable was $2k+ (that was for 12 units different block) so the pirce for 15 would have been more.

So to avoid these costs and because one of the tenants happens to have an installer in the family we are now in the middle of installing one dish with splitters to sevice all the units. The gear will cost me $200. We have a cherry picker to install things on the roof 4 stories up. So way short of the foxtel install cost. Forgot we have wired each unit for cable and tv as we renovate them.

This will become a selling point for any future rentals.

Cheers

Foxtel antenna sometimes remain property of the company. Truethfully, I am not sure you really have much choice but to allow them (alot of tenants wouldn't even bother to ask). So long as they are paying for it I don't see an issue.

I had a tenant who had Austar installed without her knowledge...her ex husband had it done as a surprise!!!!

What became an even bigger surprise was that Austrar installed it on next door's roof... "As the Reception was Better."

Owner of next door insisted on it being removed and roof sheet had to be replaced.

Tenant decided she didn't want it after all that !!!!!

Chris

haha. When I was a tenant I got permission for foxtel but ended up having to have it removed cos the old lady in the villa next to me was upset cos she didn't like the view outside her dining room window

It's a hard one, most tenants won't ask permission but it is a benefit to have at the property. Just ensure the tenant provides you a copy of the installation receipt so if there are any future issues relating to the work done you have the information of who to contact in your file.

Make sure you add the condition that:

1. If the dish malfunction or breaks during their time as tenants, they fix it.....

Regards
Michael

After its installed check the gutter. The installers have a nasty habit of running the cable around the house in them as its faster. Never mind it provides a block for leaves.

Not just one instance I have seen it many times as a sparky. Reporting it has never achieved anything which just shows how useless the cabler's license fees I pay every year are.

If you have no real objection then just approve it but with conditions.

1 - Installed by professional installer - they should prepare a plan to be provided to you. This will ensure that no building issue should arise and if they do you have someone to point the finger at.

2 - Ones installed it becomes part of the property and is left behind upon vacancy.

Thanks to everyone's replies...just a few more questions...

I think my greatest concern is what happens to the satellite dish after the tenant's lease is over.

1/ If the satellite dish is left behind, can new tenants re-use it if they want to subscribe to foxtel/austar? Or will foxtel/austar return to take the dish away as I presume it is their property?

2/ Can the tenant request to take the dish with them once their lease is over? If they choose to do this, I presume they are liable to fix any damages done to the roof.

Thanks.

Andy

1 - Generally the satellite is left behind and the tenant only returns their austar/foxtel box which is connected to the TV, the wall point and satellite remain untouched and can be used if future tenants want to have austar/foxtel connected.

2 - the satellite isn't their property so it would be very, very odd for a tenant to want to take the sattelite with them. If they want to have austar/foxtel at the new property they just contact them and arrange a connection date at the new house and again, they come out, install the satellite and do any works required.

Just to cover yourself put together an agreement that the tenant signs that they are allowed to install austar providing that the satellite remains when the tenant vacates and that any damage done to the property during installation (including but not limited to roof tiles, gutters, walls etc) or as a result of the equipment being installed that the tenant is liable to arrange these repairs be it under warranty or through an independent contractor approved by the landlord or his agent (an approved trade ensures that the tenant will not be using their cousins, husbands, friends, neighbour).

You shouldn't have any issues but better safe than sorry.

Back