Tenants just moved in sent us a breach notice!

Point out to them, again, that they should have told you the INSTANT they couldn't get the power connected instead of making you wait 3 days to fix the problem. You should only have had to wear the weekend charge from the electrician.

Word it like you would have sent the electrician out straight away IF they had told you, but you had to wait because of them.

And next time don't start leases on a Saturday - try a Wednesday or something so there's lead time before the weekend to get utilities connected.

typical bunch of tightass LL..
fact is without electricity able to be connected place wasnt ready to habitat and tenant needs to be compensated. 1 week free may sound like a fair compromise but its not unreasonable for them to want to be more specific.

Pay them nothing. Start looking for new tenants.
This is the beginning of your troubles with them.

My thoughts as well.

If you still dont have a binding lease signed by both parties, get your PM to do some work for you and look for new tenants.

Have tenants paid rent in advance and bond? If so, and no lease signed, get them out and reimburse them due monies after outgoing inspection carried out.

This sounds as though one of many future claims by the tenant (especially when they think they will be reimbursed for having days of work and motel costs)

On the days of work issue, as other guys have mentioned, there was no reason for them to take time off work. That again is what a PM is for. In QLD, PM's can enter tenants houses with insufficient notice if attending to some major issue (like no power) and can arrange for the sparkie etc. You don't even have to be there.

Hope all works out, and let us know of result.

Cheers

fact is without electricity able to be connected place wasnt ready to habitat and tenant needs to be compensated. 1 week free may sound like a fair compromise but its not unreasonable for them to want to be more specific.

Yeh, you might as well add to the claim their dying grandmothers medication pills and the dogs vetinarian bills.

In terms of compensation, I would limit this to the days inconvenienced by the power outage.....certainly not a week, and nothing else. (and this is based on being proactive and genuinely giving a damn.)

Obviously you don't have a single property. It's not that easy.

It's not illegal for there to have been no power when they moved in, LL has done nothing wrong, the issue is with the tenant, they and PM should've notified Olive as soon as they noticed there was no power.

One week rent free is plenty, tenant shouldn't have bought perishibles, and there was no reason for BOTH tenants not to have gone to work, and they probably used a sick or personal day and still got paid for it. Also no reason for staying in a hotel, when there is a blackout do you stay in a hotel, uh no! You get out some torches and candles.

Typical tenants thinking that LL are all tight@rse's, maybe you should get your facts straight and learn the rules of realestate before you jump on a forum with thousands of us, hey..?

Yes maybe you should go there and make them breakfast in bed to.... ha ha, no i am not tight but i do think 1 week is more than generous and they should be thankful they got offered that. If they dont like it maybe they can buy there own house?? or maybe they dont know the difference between a rental and a resort??
I would also play there game and breach them everytime they even breath the wrong way.
Best of luck with it but i would be getting a new PM and kicking them out a soon as you can.

The electricity company itself can take several days to connect the power when you move - they have no obligation to do it same day. It is a very, very good idea not to move into a house until you're damn sure you've got power on.

The issue here is the tenant took a few days to tell the landlord they couldn't get the power on and expect to be compensated for it.

i find it very hard to believe tenant would delay informing pm over such a necessity as electricity. more like LL delays to avoid paying weekend rates to builder and electrician

also blackouts go for maybe 3 hours not 3 days...3 days of torches and candles? anyone would be pissed and you would certainly be getting compensation for it from a power company

i can only hope these poor tenants werent a young family and house wasnt all electric. god forbid they would want to shower and cook :rolleyes:

HA!

You obviously don't know much, do you..?

If you had read through each post you would see the problem lies between tenant and PM, not LL. LL has done everything in their power AFTER they knew of the power outage to repair it ASAP.

If the LL had done something wrong the posts that followed would've said "Olive it's your problem", but they didn't. Every poster on here has seperate views and opinions, but we will stand up for who ever is in the right, in this case it is LL.

AND to add to this, there are plenty of cases where power outages go for long periods of time, and i don't think i've ever heard of the electricity companies giving people over $400 in compensation because they didn't know how to use a torch.

Why would anyone move into a house before the electricity is connected? Especially on a weekend! That's just plain stupid in my view.

Also, why are them moving into your house before signing a lease and paying two weeks upfront + bond?

You have done all you could in the circumstances by getting the electrician out to the house as soon as you were told there was an issue.

I would not be paying a single cent. Let them fight for it and make it as difficult as possible for them.

Spanket - I am all for tenants rights. Hell, I have even worked as a tenant advocate. But the truth is these tenants are not playing by the rules, nor is what they are asking for fair in IMHO. You are either a genuinely ignorant person who didn't take the time to read the original post thoroughly enough, or just trolling - either way I suggest you actually make an 'informed' opinion before commenting on something, and then you might be taken a little more seriously.

i already said 1 week free rent is reasonable but i would just let them justify why they think they shud get more. my issue is with ppl who say no compensation at all i can only put that down to blind LL bias which seems to run rampant in this forum

Last edited by a moderator:
listen noobs i already said 1 week free rent is reasonable but i would just let them justify why they think they shud get more. my issue is with ppl who say no compensation at all i can only put that down to blind LL bias which seems to run rampant in this forum

Listen Spanket, there's no reason for name calling, none of us have called you anything!!

Grow up, and before you start passing judgements maybe you should go back and read through what has actually happened before coming in and saying all LL are tight.

You seem to have a very biased opinion, bad experiences perhaps..?

Not all LL are as unreasonable as you may think, or as you've experienced. Honestly though, no need to voice your opinion with name calling etc.

I don't particularly think one weeks rent is reasonable. I personably feel that no compensation at all is reasonable, athough I may depending on the priorities of the LL advocate compensation of a reduction of rent, purely for that 3 day period - no more. If they are willing to offer more then that, well then they are probably a nicer person then me - but then I really don't deal well with people trying to take advantage of me, as they obviously are of this poor LL.

The situation would suck for the tenant, but it is not the LL's fault in this particular instance, nor is it reasonable to lay the blame and the expense at their feet, when it is neither their fault and they have acted as best they are able once they were made aware of the situation.

As for LL bias, read through ALL of my previous posts and see just how bias I am before you accuse me of anything. But then that would go back to my suggestion of making an "informed" opinion. ;)

Listen Spanket, there's no reason for name calling, none of us have called you anything!!

Grow up, and before you start passing judgements maybe you should go back and read through what has actually happened before coming in and saying all LL are tight.

You seem to have a very biased opinion, bad experiences perhaps..?

Not all LL are as unreasonable as you may think, or as you've experienced. Honestly though, no need to voice your opinion with name calling etc.

i never said all LL are tightasses.. if you dont want to be called noob at least get the basics right..

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't particularly think one weeks rent is reasonable. I personably feel that no compensation at all is reasonable, athough I may depending on the priorities of the LL advocate compensation of a reduction of rent, purely for that 3 day period - no more. If they are willing to offer more then that, well then they are probably a nicer person then me - but then I really don't deal well with people trying to take advantage of me, as they obviously are of this poor LL.

The situation would suck for the tenant, but it is not the LL's fault in this particular instance, nor is it reasonable to lay the blame and the expense at their feet, when it is neither their fault and they have acted as best they are able once they were made aware of the situation.

3 days rent free is the starting point anything less the tenant is being scrwewed over. hardly there fault property wasnt maintained enough to get basic utilities connected

did the tenants explain why they both took a day off work?
did the property manger say if they had been contacted re the issue of no power?
will landlord insurance cover?
it would be interesting to see what the residential tenancy tribunal would make of their claims for compensation.

both taking time off work seems excessive and would need to be explained.
it sounds as if the property manager is not being supportive or acting in the landlords best interest.
inconvenient to be without power but it sounds as if it was dealt with as promptly as possible.

good luck. regards.

Thank you every one for your opinion.

Sorry to start any unwanted anger on this forum.

i'd like to say although we as LL of corse don't want to spend unessissary money, but we are certainly not tightarses. after all we have spend 7k on reno that we thought were needed for basic creature comfort, we look at the place and tought if we were living in there what are some of the basic comforts we would like. Mind you no tax deduction on these!!
So $460, is not an issue if we are negligent or at fault, its the fact that if we let this one go it may be a hint that we are soft.
Scare them with a breach and they will pay, we certainly don't want that to be the meassage.

Who should be liable for the death's of tenant's pet??

Hi again,
Our tenants are keeping 1 dog and 1 cat at the house which our PM has added in an Animal Clause term and condition to the original lease stating tenants are to indemnify LL for any damage caused by these pets. Now that a Breach Notice been sent we have a concern about who is liable to the tenants properties inside the house?
In particular who is liable for the life and health of their pets? For instance, what if the cat falls off the roof from a loose roof tile and breaks its legs? Can tenants give us a Breach Notice and try to claim for cat's medical bills and related costs?
Are the dogs and cats considered as tenants? or they considered as belongings of tenants?
Many thanks.

Back