Tenants... they just dont get it

We have decided to sell one of out IP, two reasons...we need the cash at the moment and we had difficult tenants.

The agent rang the tenants to say the property was on the market... and was greeted with
dont think you will be bringing people through all the time. We wont have an open house...and you cant show people through while we are on holidays...( going to Vanuatu while they are late with the rent....another story)

The agent let it go and another agent rang back the next day explaining that they could be easy to get along with or the agent would issue 24 hours notice and then bring people through... that if they wanted help looking for another place then it would be to their benefit to be helpful.... Times for open houses were agreed upon.

Today the agent gets a call what will their compensation be....

I dont know whether to laugh or cry....

Hi Startled,

Have you really though this through? Most tenants are not so bad. If it were not for these losers would you be making this decision to sell? When is their lease up? It would be a shame to sell a property primarily to get rid of a tenant nightmare, if the fundamental reasons why you purchased haven't changed. It might be hard to sell while they are in there too by the sounds of it. Can you get them out if they are behind with the rent?

Louise

They just dont get it.... they cant control the situation..they have been difficult tenants..they know their rights etc...and now they dont have any say. the house is being sold they have to let the agent in and hopefully it will sell very soon and they then become somebody elses problem.....

We need the cash at the moment....so selling is the best decision.. we will buy another ( more) IP next year when I go back to work but for now it is best to sell..

selling with tenants in place is very difficult and will cost you bucks. The tenant has all the power here... your role is just to pay the bills. seriously: get the tenants out first, then sell.

Ausprop,

There is no way they would go without a fight if we did try to get rid of them, having said that I knowthe amount I am prepared to sell for and if I dont get that then we will sell another property instead...this is just the best choice... ( dont know how I will get rid of the tenants then....
Still at the moment they have agreed to times for inspections and the fact they will be looking for another place to rent might keep them in check.
As for compenstaion....NO WAY !!!

Today the agent gets a call what will their compensation be....

startled, you might laugh but have you ever lived in a property that is for sale, I bet NOT.
And if you have it would be to fill your own pocket, what does the tenant get out of this hassle NOTHING!
Having strange people enter your private space when they feel and having to keep the property in top condition deserves compensation.
Ever done a 12 hr night shift to arrive home and trying to prepare your children for school while some rude agent and clients want's to make comments about the state of the house while you are battling away.

The person I feel that does not get it is YOU!

Louise
If it were not for these losers would you be making this decision to sell?

Suddenly losers , now come on , good enough to pay rent but suddenly losers when they are trying to live in a property they pay to live in.

Some people here are totally rude and have no clue!

Yes it is unfortunate for them that it has to be this way....and I can understand the inconvenience but it is not my fault they rent.....They were consulted and decided upon the times they were prepared to have inspections... and yes I have lived in properties that have been for sale...MINE. and they are not shift workers.....or have small children... so the way I see it TOUGH.

Getting annoyed wont change the situation and only make it harder for them to find somewhere else to rent...

No compensation.. they dont pay their rent on time ... where is my compensation....

There is some merrit in what you say Muffin man, but remember, it was mentioned they're going on holiday to Vanuatu, but can't pay rent on time?- Now that is also rude.

Yes it is unfortunate for them that it has to be this way....and I can understand the inconvenience but it is not my fault they rent.....They were consulted and decided upon the times they were prepared to have inspections... and yes I have lived in properties that have been for sale...MINE. and they are not shift workers.....or have small children... so the way I see it TOUGH.

Getting annoyed wont change the situation and only make it harder for them to find somewhere else to rent...

No compensation.. they dont pay their rent on time ... where is my compensation....

I never stated it was your fault they rent, and so what if they do!
Not every one can afford to buy a property , life does hand out people some bad luck at times.
There is a BIG difference between living in a place your are selling then living in a property you are paying rent to be sold!
You are being rewarded they are NOT but you cannot see pass that. ( shame shame)
Not only do they need to find a place to move to, they have to maintain yours and have their privacy invaded when the agent decides.
I have lived in this situation and understand fully why they are acting like this.
My landlord treated my family like rubbish and so did the agents, class me as a lower class because I was a renter..lol
I could buy and sell my landlord 12 times over, instead of finding another 300k box rental I simply decided to turn and buy a 750k house.
As for the jerk agents they will never list a property or mine ever. Did I have a laugh to myself when they phoned me wanting to list my a 3 mill property I own and another at half that..lol
To me you are coming across as if you think they are lower class, as clearly you have NO respect for their privacy.

Who really knows their reasons for going to Vanuatu and I'm sure your agent would put their own spin on that as they have a habit of telling lies.
As for late on rent their could be a million credible reasons why, at least it's only late. I'm sure you have been late on some thing..

Who really knows their reasons for going to Vanuatu and I'm sure your agent would put their own spin on that as they have a habit of telling lies.
As for late on rent their could be a million credible reasons why, at least it's only late. I'm sure you have been late on some thing..

So being late with the rent while going on overseas holidays is acceptable to you then is it?
(see you later guys, have a safe trip, dont worry about the rent I'll be right)

I dont see any credible reason for not paying rent, especialy when a trip to Vanuatu has taken priority.

Dave

They were consulted and decided upon the times they were prepared to have inspections...

I dont think they are lower class.. because they rent....

The trip is for her birthday....no that the reason matters. I just want the rent paid on time...

They were consulted and decided upon the times they were prepared to have inspections...

I dont think they are lower class.. because they rent....

The trip is for her birthday....no that the reason matters. I just want the rent paid on time...

Startled
Given what you have said, you have every right to be pissed.
I don't see anything wrong with your attitude.

So being late with the rent while going on overseas holidays is acceptable to you then is it?
(see you later guys, have a safe trip, dont worry about the rent I'll be right)

I dont see any credible reason for not paying rent, especialy when a trip to Vanuatu has taken priority.

Dave

Dave talk about jump the gun ..lol all that has been stated that the rent was late.... now does that mean the rent is still owing, or the rent was paid the next day , or $20 was still owing on a $400 rental , or it fell on a public holiday.?

I love it when people jump to conclusions when not knowing the full story.
And as stated agents have a habit of telling lies to justify their jobs or just power tripping.

I must be a scum bag as my rent was late many times , reasons idiot agent was unable to give me a receipt of payment, would not accept direct deposits, I was not waiting over 1/2 hr to pay rent , agent increases rent and forgets to tell me it's now $10 extra, unable to find a car park after 20 minutes of looking in my lunch break.

You all get pissy over some late rent ...

And I bet this is what the agent informs you just like the agent informed my landlord of similar rubbish . Instead of admitting they could not perform their job correctly and show tenants some respect.

Either way you will never y know the true reasons of your tenant by using an agent and to top it off have no respect for your tenant just from your comments here.
You not only will make his life difficult he will make yours in return costing you $$ and that's all that is of value for you from what I see.

If people showed a little respect it would be shown back and I bet you would not be in this situation.

Best of luck with you tenant and maybe next time you will learn from this experience.
Show respect to others and they will return it.

Startled
Given what you have said, you have every right to be pissed.
I don't see anything wrong with your attitude.

I second that...I have rented before and was never late with the rent, I was a first year apprentice at the time earning a pittance... I think its got a lot to do with the way you are brought up. Some people feel that if they can get away with it then they will...WAKE UP PEOPLE...PAY YOUR RENT ON TIME...It's not hard, you knew you had to do it when you signed the lease...it did'nt just pop up out of nowhere!

Some people have their priorities all messed up. As mentioned in previous posts, landlords are running a business, if rent is not payed on time (or at all in some cases), then this is as good as stealing...Try going to a restaurant, ordering your meal, and when finished, tell the owner you will pay later...even better...try doing it on Lygon street and see what happens!:D

I feel better now...

Boods

Muffinman, I've rentered most of my ife sincemoving out of home. I was late payng rent a few times , due to public holidays etc... my landloards never took that as beign behind in rent, and I think givne the basic facts procided here, that this is not the case either....

My dad & brother were renting a unit hen it came up for sales, what happened ? They found another place & moved ! big deal !!!!

The landlords (yes, a PM firm.. so thTHEN e owner never ahde a real idea of the owenrs, (like err....the contract entered into !)) simlpy told them & they made arrangements, and woah & behold the biggest inconvenience was when I came to pick him TO GO OUT OF OF THE HOUSE up on a Saturday afternoon & tenants and agent rocked up at the same time (which my brother was informed in advance about) - what inconvenience, other inspection were durng th eweek while both my borhter & dad were at work....?, oh yeah, my broher whinged a bit, but my dad reminded him that it wasn't their place, then, seeing as none of us owned property at the time, he soon got over it..

If the owner makes a profit from selling his property, is that not what he set out to ahcieve ib the first place? - do you disagree with the timing of his selling or his right to sell his own property as you have left me as you have left me a tad confused ?

Startled, you are obviously feeling a little bit stressed about your current situation. The obvious thing to do to remove that stress away from yourself, is to give it to your tenants. Below are some neat ideas on how you could do this...

1) Take them to the tribunal over the late rent while they are on holidays and give your PM the instruction to get them out ASAP because you want to move in.
2) Once they are out, put it on the market and employ a debt collection agency to recover lost rent
3) make sure you list them on TICA so they can never rent again.
4) If you can get a lawyer to write them a letter advising you will take them to court if they don't move out even better.

You know you will have succeeded when ACA pound on your door asking how you could be so heartless as to evict late rent paying tenants while they were on holidays in Vanuatu...

Natmarie ..
The funny thing is I am not stressed, annoyed big time at the games these tennants have played...but as I said to the agent its your its your problem I just want the property sold and X amount of dollars for it...
unfortunately when they ask for things like compensation, the agent then has to ask me.. otherwise I am staying right out of it....

The stressful part was making the decision, now I just look forward to being able to do a few things in my own home with the money and sometime next year buying another IP. Having said that I have learnt lots from this, and know where I have gone wrong...so next time I am sure it will be much better

TICA.. what is this?

Back