Tenants... they just dont get it

Don't let the tenants control the situation. You need to ask the PM how best to move them along. If the PM is not on your side get a new PM. If they behind in rent can't they be sent a letter of eviction?

Don't throw away $30K due to emotions. I think you are being driven far too much by emotions and too little by the best financial outcome.

I know its frustrating but its time to be well advised and make well thought out decisions or it will be very costly.

The OP stated a while ago that they were now current with the rent

The OP stated a while ago that they were now current with the rent

Its gone from bad to worse...just about ready to give the property away just to be done with it....
Now they are going to the tribunial for to challenge the rent increase from before I decided to sell. The rent is not being paid on tiime and the best offer is about 30 000 under what I want....

A recent post suggested still onging issue...

Hi Startled,

This situation sounds like it has arisen due to poor management by your pm.

I read in an earlier post where you stated that you would like to buy more IPs when you return to work next year. Would it be possible to take up some part time work now so that you don't need to sell the property? Or, have you a LOC attached to the property that you could use to pay some of the holding costs this year until you return to work next year? This would be a cheaper strategy than selling and buying back in again next year. If you adopted either of these strategies I would also recommend removing the existing tenants and putting some different ones in. Your existing tenants are troublesome.

However, if you really want to sell the property, is it possible now to issue the 66 days notice (if the property is in Victoria) and get the tenant out? I am not sure how far advanced you are with the tribunal hearing?

I know that you would loose more time doing this, but the tenant has no recourse unless they are on a lease?

Try not to waste your energy worrying about the tenant. Your objectives are far more important. Work out the most efficient way of removing the tenant from the picture. There are plenty more available if you so require!

Regards Jason.

Had some really promising offers over the weekend, so will think a bit more before I make a decision.

Again only half the rent has been paid...so waiting on the pm to get back to me about this, now 6 days late with the remainder..

Want to evict the tenant if I can as even though a few more weeks rent would be nice I may not get it even if they stay......

Startled, hope your LL policy is paid up! :D

I just double checked last week to make sure I opted for the rent default cover with the tenant I'm about to evict.

Hadnt even thought about claiming it on insurance... mind you insurance was the first thing I double checked to make sure I had when things started to turn sour...

If they dont pay is there anyway I can get this put on their credit rating...

Hi Startled

The world is truly full of strange people with strange ideas about life. Unfortunately you seem to have one of these people in your place. These people tend to not only be strange but they are also unpredictable so it is probably a good idea to get them out of the place before you sell. Once they are gone, ask your property manager if he can get them black listed on a tenant data base for all their trouble. I know the one in Adelaide is called TICA not sure about Melbourne.

Startled, you could always try this approach instead of PM and tribunal:

For a small fee, send a couple of big beefy bikies around to the house to convey your message to the tenant politely but firmly that the rent needs to be paid.

Not that I would condone this! Haven't done it myself, but I've heard from a couple people it's a very effective method! ;)

Startled, you could always try this approach instead of PM and tribunal:

For a small fee, send a couple of big beefy bikies around to the house to convey your message to the tenant politely but firmly that the rent needs to be paid.

Not that I would condone this! Haven't done it myself, but I've heard from a couple people it's a very effective method! ;)

Until they get shot by a petrified renter protecting his family, whilst police investigation uncovers that said bikies were instructed by the landowner to convey message.
Landowner, hmmm five years jail, entirely worth it.

Until they get shot by a petrified renter protecting his family, whilst police investigation uncovers that said bikies were instructed by the landowner to convey message.
Landowner, hmmm five years jail, entirely worth it.

Yes, you are entirely correct. I retract the above statement wholeheartedly, and wish to express my regret for any anguish it may have caused any forum members or their immediate families and friends. I have no excuse for what I said, and will refrain from making such statements in the future........ :rolleyes:

It was a joke, hence the winkie face! Check out my actual serious advice further up in the thread. Trying to get a bit of humor out of Startled ongoing problems with the tenant as I feel sorry for his situation. Sheesh....

The property has been sold for only a few thousand less than what we wanted.....the loss is worth it to get the tenants out of our lives........only a few more months of having to deal with them..... today its the dishwasher that needs repair, who knows what else they will come up within the next 8 weeks.... still have the tribunial for the compensation for the inconvenience of the open houses ( half of which were while they were on holidays) and only half the rent paid this month but still it will be all over soon........

Know how you feel

I had a tenant that could never pay the rent on time. I only lost them because there marriage ended. I did agree with them for them to come up with a payment plan to get the rent up to date over 6 months as their income was not regular.
Even though my agent had a policy of starting eviction after 4 weeks of no rent I agreed to the payment plan which the tenants followed exactly as promised.
I also later agreed to let them break the lease when their marriage ended without any penalty.
I did find it annoying that the rent was behind but I did agree to the payment plan which worked out ok.
Another thing you could try is for them to pay weekly as a smaller amount each week can be easier for tenants to pay rather than having to save up for a monthly payment.

I did sell one of my properties under a tenant due to my own financial situation of being unemployed and I felt bad for doing that to my good paying tenant but I had no choice as I would have run out of cash flow in the long run.

Back