tenants with dog

The Pm has found a tenant for my new IP who have a dog. Is it a problem to have a tenant with a dog in the property? Could anyone please tell me about their experience about this?

Yadeh

Tenants with pets are very often very reliable and responsible. Just make sure that the lease agreements states that they have to clean the carpets and have the house and garden sprayed to get rid of ticks and fleas.

I own a few properties that I allow dogs in and I'm also a tenant with a dog.

I would suggest that if the property has tiled floors and is not rented furnished then you should be ok.

You should be very careful with carpets!

In my experience a tenant with a pet will stay longer cos it can be hard to find properties that accept pets.

Many people have strong ideas about tenants with pets but I think each case should stand on it's own.

For the first time, this year we have a tenant with a dog.They pay $10 pw for the privelage.:D [To be honest we were a bit nervous in the beginning.
They have also paid a pet bond.
They keep the house in great condition and are extremely grateful that they have a home that their beloved dog can stay in with them.
Dont disregard pet owners as tennants.Just make sure you have the lease drawn up to cover all probabilities, and carpet cleaning etc.
cheers yadreamin

ps quite often pets are better behaved than some children and adults :eek:

Rolf Schaefer said:
Just make sure that the lease agreements states that they have to clean the carpets and have the house and garden sprayed to get rid of ticks and fleas.

All good ideas.

I'd suggest that if they are responsible pet owners they would have the garden sprayed when they move in as ticks and fleas can come from anywhere and as a person owned by a pet I hate to have ticks and fleas anywhere near me or my boy!

I've attached a picture of my boys cunning plan to surprise a few cats :p

Attachments

• Cat Food.JPG
    Cat Food.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 90
I allow pets at all of my IP's. I would be a bit of a hyprocrite if I didn't since I own 5 cats. The only stipulation is that the animal is well cared for & no damage is done to the property. Tenant, of course, to pay for damages. I have never had a problem.

The only time I was nervous about allowing pets was when we accepted the latest tenant into one of our IPs which backs onto our PPOR. The PM informed us that they had 1 bird, 2 cats & 4 dogs. We were having a bit of trouble getting it let at the time, so reluctantly let them move in. We were a little concerned that having 4 dogs would be too noisey & we would regret our decision.

Turns out that 3 of the dogs are kept permanently in enclosures at the back of the yard (built by tenant). They are show dogs, so are VERY well looked after. The fourth is a retired show dog & their pet. He has the run of the yard & house & is a lovely placid old soul. None of them make a noise.

They are brilliant tenants. Never a cent behind with the rent. House kept in better condition than our PPOR. They have now planted a vegie garden. Bought fans for the house that we installed. They look like they are here for a long time.

The only problem we have encountered is one of their cats hates one of our cats, but since ours are rarely outside, that is a minor issue.

I only have one thought, not neccessarily valid back in Oz, its not quite as litigous there as here.
Include tenant insurance and a big rider for dog bites in the lease
Here in Canada, landlords are equally responsible if the tenant dog bites, unless the lease specifically includes limited liablility clauses.

A good point Bob.

Though it might be covered under public liability rather than tenant insureance (is that the same thing as landlord insurance?)

Cheeks said:
I'd suggest that if they are responsible pet owners they would have the garden sprayed when they move in as ticks and fleas can come from anywhere and as a person owned by a pet I hate to have ticks and fleas anywhere near me or my boy!
I've attached a picture of my boys cunning plan to surprise a few cats :p

I also have to agree as my cat has picked up fleas from my dog through cross contamination.

Attachments

• pic22025.jpg
    pic22025.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 97
Last edited by a moderator:
maybe if you ask to see records to check that the dog has been vaccinated/desexed/microchipped/etc? chances are, if the owners are caring and responsible for their pet, and pay vet bills on time, they are probably caring, responsible people who pay bills on time in general? you'd hope anyway...

AlmostBob said:
Here in Canada, landlords are equally responsible if the tenant dog bites, unless the lease specifically includes limited liablility clauses.

Wow are you serious! That seems a bit rough on the landlord. I don't think that applies here - dog owner is fully responsible for dog bites and that dog is not able to get out. I don't know about fences though - if fence is broken and tenant does not tell landlord and tenant's dog gets out and causes injury who is at fault - tenant or landlord? My guess would be tenant as they are responsible for the dog.

I purchased a house with a sitting tenant and dog and dog bit my building inspector on the a*** as he leapt over the fence to escape (tenant was home at the time). That worried me a bit having a savage dog in one of my properties to be, but I think tenant was much more worried he would be sued by building inspector:D

Dogs can be ok provided :
1. there is sufficient space indoors and outdoors for the type of dog and its typical behaviour.
2. it's kept clean and doesn't smell
3. any damage is paid for by tenant - lawn, carpets, furniture, interior, blinds.
4. tenant pays for a professional pest spray the day after vacating.
5. pet doesn't become a hazard or nuisance to neighbours.

cheers
crest133

Back