Tenants with pets

Diito to Biggles.

I have 3 tenants with 3 dogs. All diff sorts. Great tenants who look after their animals and their enviroment. ie the house.

I don't trust cats though....

I have had more trouble with cats than dogs...I have one house where the window frame has been scratched almost out of existence by cats coming through the laundry window.

This tenant had long haired cats and when I had the gas furnace checked prior to winter, I was told that it was so full of long cat hair it was a wonder it had not caught fire!!!

Dogs tend to stop intruders when the tenant is not at home

Chris

I have had more trouble with cats than dogs...I have one house where the window frame has been scratched almost out of existence by cats coming through the laundry window.

Isn't that an example of the pet owner not caring properly for their pet?

This tenant had long haired cats and when I had the gas furnace checked prior to winter, I was told that it was so full of long cat hair it was a wonder it had not caught fire!!!

There must have been a few cats in that house. You'd be hard pressed finding cat hairs at my place, let alone in a gas furnace :confused:.
Dogs tend to stop intruders when the tenant is not at home

Stopping intruders is a problem ;). I think you may be a bit biased.Chris

Dogs can pose just as many, if not more problems in regard to property damage than cats.

Humans are probably the worst of the lot, but they are the ones that pay the rent.

We have some tenants with 2 fox terriers who are allowed inside. We inherited the tenants with the house when we bought it - we probably wouldnt have allowed pets, however since they were already there we thought we'd give them a go.

They are wonderful tenants and we cant see any damage done by the dogs. The house is better maintained than our PPOR. As a bonus the tenants are likely to stay for a longer term as other rentals that allow dogs are hard to come by.

Our experience with these tenants has made us rethink allowing pets - I definitely would again.

Having said that, my 12yo golden retriever still digs up everything in sight - I wouldnt rent to me :)

One of my tenant wanted to get a pet two months after moving in. I told the PM following:

- Rent needs to be increased by reasonable amount ($360 to $370?) per week
- Extra weeks (2?) of bond needs to be taken
- tenants should agree to bring property up to same standard when vacating
- tenants need to cover costs to clean carpets, flea treatments, damaged flyscreen doors, irrigation etc.
- sign a paper stating the yard will not be destroyed and kept clean (Please take lots of pictures of the yard)
- Any costs for drawing up the lease will be their responsibility
- Tenants need to provide dog registration papers

I didn't think it was unreasonable but tenants decided not to get a pet :)

I don't do pet leases because damage is covered by the standard lease (I just add number, type, description to the lease, under additional conditions)?

What extra weight do these special leases have over a standard lease, and are they proper tribunal paperwork that allow things like extra weeks bond?

What extra weight do these special leases have over a standard lease, and are they proper tribunal paperwork that allow things like extra weeks bond?

Depends on the state. In Vic pet bonds aren't legal. However, if the rent is over $350pw you can charge extra bond if agreed by all parties - But this cannot be changed once the lease has commenced.

Things like cleaning, and lawn maintenance is covered under a standard lease.

I'd always include pets in the lease, however extra conditions of having a pet in the property aren't usually worth the paper they're written on.

I haven't really had any problems with tenants with pets, I've even had one with four dogs :eek:, two little ones who were allowed inside and two larger ones who lived outside. Never any issues.

Weg,

No not biased just stating the facts.

My son lived in the same house with 2 cats and they did not do any damage nor did they cause any problem with the same gas furnace.

It was actually 2 long haired cats...very long haired cats, a very dirty tenant and a useless Property Manager.

I have the furnace cleaned and checked every year and each year the plumber was concerned and told the tenant that she had to clean the hair out..in desperation he phoned to warn me of the fire danger.

Chris

Look at the applicants address..take a drive, knock on their door, and then make a decision.
Some of our tenants have offered to have us meet the dog before deciding.

Part of our property rules concern the behaviour of pets. If they are troublesome/vicious they are required to vacate (pet, not owner).
We have had to move one dog...thankfully the owner left too.

Weg,

No not biased just stating the facts.

My son lived in the same house with 2 cats and they did not do any damage nor did they cause any problem with the same gas furnace.

It was actually 2 long haired cats...very long haired cats, a very dirty tenant and a useless Property Manager.

I have the furnace cleaned and checked every year and each year the plumber was concerned and told the tenant that she had to clean the hair out..in desperation he phoned to warn me of the fire danger.

Chris

Sorry misread. I thought you were saying cats generally were a bigger problem than dogs.

What it does tell you though, is the pet owners weren't clean and did not look after their pets - in this case cats.

In my view it's the tenants that are the problem.

Lil Skater, I don't think a legal tribunal lease exist in SA or that you can demand special consideration like 2 extra weeks, bond if someone has a pet.

Just wondered because I've read this before, and wondered if it was legal.

I'd focus more on the human rather than the dog.

If all checks out with them, I wouldn't be overly concerned with the pup.

We've allowed pets in all of our IPs and haven't experienced any dramas yet (touch wood). As would have been mentioned previously - tentants with pets have a hard time getting a rental so tend to be longer-term tenants. I'm also yet to find a dog that's capable of drawing on the walls.

If it puts your mind at ease - the internet tells me that a minature bull terrier resembles a chihuahua more than a traditional bull terrier http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bull_Terrier_(Miniature) so granny flat lady shouldn't be overly concerned.

Cheers

Jamie

You should have seen a rental application I got the other day,

she has a cat, a dog, 2 rabbits, some rats and a snake

They could end up being fantastic, but could just as easily be the opposite.

Tenant of mine who recently left, had a dog and quite a few reptiles (reptiles were contained) and he turned out great.

If she appears great in every other way and you are still concerned, it's worth getting their existing address and sending a family member over to knock on their door (under the pretence of looking for someone) and have them give the place the smell test as well as look down at the floor inside of the entrance.

I'm serious :eek:.

Last edited:
They could end up being fantastic, but could just as easily be the opposite.

Tenant of mine who recently left, had a dog and quite a few reptiles (reptiles were contained) and he turned out great.

If she appears great in every other way and you are still concerned, it's worth getting their existing address and sending a family member over to knock on their door (under the pretence of looking for someone) and have them give the place the smell test as well as look down at the floor inside of the entrance.

I'm serious :eek:.

haha! Who said I rejected their application? ;)

in fact, they are moving in today, I believe

We're in our first rental for over 15 years while we build, and we're so grateful at being allowed to have our dog - although we did have a backup plan of farming her out to family.

I don't know if it helped, but when I had to drop the application back to the PM's office, I took the dog with me so that they could see she was well behaved and calm (and cute as all hell!). The whole office fell in love with her.

We have first inspection today - house is spit clean, lawns mowed and hoping we pass with flying colours.

Last edited:
Having said that, my 12yo golden retriever still digs up everything in sight - I wouldnt rent to me :)

I have a 5yo golden retriever and I agree Nemo I wouldn't rent to me either. My golden has dug up the garden, ripped up the grass, destroyed the irrigation and destroyed the back door and one window frame trying to get in the house when we were out because of a storm :mad:
I definitely wouldn't lease my IP to anyone with a Golden Retriever.

I've no problems with pets, generally.

No problems with small dogs, cats, birds etc.

If there's a pet, there's a pet bond. The more pets the higher the bond. I've also managed to negotiate a higher rent pw in compensation for allowing the pet if they buy one after the start of the lease.

Also insist that the house is flea bombed at the end of the tenancy and carpets all shampooed. Removes fleas and odours.

Any damage to carpets or curtains will be covered by the pet bond/normal bond.

Back