Tennis "Grunters"

I really enjoy watching the tennis but what a pity it has been spoilt with ... and we have to listen to the "grunters". I know there is such a thing as a mute button .. but sometimes the commentators are worth listening to!:(
Frizzle

i dont mind the odd serious grunt or a really intense game being a little noisy, but these chicks from Belarus are just plain annoying. one of them makes 2 separate noises before even striking the bal!!!!

i was really hoping the belarus girl would (didn't make it to the end, so did she?) because i didn't want to hear her ever again ... what was it? ... ahhhhhh-(hit)-ping.

even on her serve! soooooo annoying!

Last edited:
i was really hoping the belarus girl would (didn't make it to the end, so did she?) because i didn't want to hear her ever again ... what was it? ... ahhhhhh-(hit)-ping.

even on her serve! soooooo annoying!

yeah that's it! it was like the old Atari Ping Ping sounds....

ahh*thock*ping*bounce*ugh*bounce*ahh*thock*ping*bounce*ugh*bounce*

The grunting seems worse each year.

On another note, I find it interesting two of the top players and likely winners, Federer & Henin both wear main colors like the background of the courts. I know when playing tennis it's a lot harder to see someone who blends into the background. This is why they are above the rest, they have that X Factor and that means being aware of everything so they can win as well as having special and a variety of shots. ;)

I can live with the grunters but what really annoyed me was Henri Leconte's over-the-top commentating during the Tsonga vs Almagro match. I had to mute the TV on that one. Also annyoing is Roddick's constant whinging... he's really a jerk that's why he's never won another slam - he concentrates more on what can complain at rather than his game.

I tip Federer and Henin for the win!

I can live with the grunters but what really annoyed me was Henri Leconte's over-the-top commentating during the Tsonga vs Almagro match. I had to mute the TV on that one. Also annyoing is Roddick's constant whinging... he's really a jerk that's why he's never won another slam - he concentrates more on what can complain at rather than his game.

I don't mind Roddick's whinging as most of it is true like when the umpire didn't bother to try and find out who was yelling out when players were serving. Roddick pointed out that they have video etc. McEnroe was also unpopular in his day but I enjoyed his tantrums as it was better than the usual boring tennis players back then. Now he's a legend

As for commentating, I don't remember her name but the American woman who commentates on the Womans games is constantly saying "Too Good" on nearly every winning point, seems to have a lack of other phrases which is a serious flaw for a commentator in a grand slam.

I would like to see Henin win but I certainly hope Federer doesn't, BORING!.

I don't mind Roddick's whinging as most of it is true like when the umpire didn't bother to try and find out who was yelling out when players were serving. Roddick pointed out that they have video etc. McEnroe was also unpopular in his day but I enjoyed his tantrums as it was better than the usual boring tennis players back then. Now he's a legend

I hated McEnroe's antics but I do agree that he was a great serve and volleyer... as for Roddick, his serves bore me. Clearly we have different tastes.

As for commentating, I don't remember her name but the American woman who commentates on the Womans games is constantly saying "Too Good" on nearly every winning point, seems to have a lack of other phrases which is a serious flaw for a commentator in a grand slam.

You must be referring to Tracy Austin... she gives good insights as she was a former #1 player and US Open champion (when she was only 16 years old). I don't think she always say "too good" though...

I would like to see Henin win but I certainly hope Federer doesn't, BORING!.

If you play the game then you wouldn't find Federer boring... you would know how his skills are one of a kind and his mastery of the game and the versitility of his shots are tremendous, without exerting much effort at that! Same with Henin. But nothing wrong with not playing the game... I'm just saying that most of the people I know that are non-Federer fans don't play (just my observation).

I want Marin Cilic to win the mens, curently playing roddick at the moment. He has won the first two sets into the third now :D. If Cilic doesn't end up beating roddick then i want roddick to win! As for the ladies, i would have liked to see Clijsters win but unfortunately she lost to Petrova in the second round. I think one of the williams sisters will win it, but i would like for Henin to win.

I hated McEnroe's antics but I do agree that he was a great serve and volleyer... as for Roddick, his serves bore me. Clearly we have different tastes.
Yes very different and a different way of thinking too :rolleyes:

You must be referring to Tracy Austin... she gives good insights as she was a former #1 player and US Open champion (when she was only 16 years old). I don't think she always say "too good" though...
Yes that is her and I have no doubt in her ability as a player and I actually enjoy her commentary but I get annoyed at her constantly saying "too Good" as I said after each winning point. Now if you don't see that then you are obviously not a big tennis fan or have you seen many matches in the womans games as she says it all the time.

If you play the game then you wouldn't find Federer boring... you would know how his skills are one of a kind and his mastery of the game and the versitility of his shots are tremendous, without exerting much effort at that! Same with Henin. But nothing wrong with not playing the game... I'm just saying that most of the people I know that are non-Federer fans don't play (just my observation).

yes I have been told this many times when I have made my comments of his royal highness known. I do realize how good a player he is and his bag of various shots but I still find him extremely boring mainly as the opponent is made to look like an amateur player. I would much rather watch Andy Roddick slog it out for 5 sets (well 4 & a half) like the other day instead of watching a straight 3 sets victory like we seen against Hewett.

I have never made out that I'm a serious player so I'm not sure what your trying to get out. It seems I have hurt your feelings by not getting down on my knees and kissing Federers butt like all his fans do. :p

As for the record of my tennis, I have played national tournaments when I was in my mid 20's and played a few circuit games but I have not played a lot lately but plan to when in the right situation.

yes I have been told this many times when I have made my comments of his royal highness known. I do realize how good a player he is and his bag of various shots but I still find him extremely boring mainly as the opponent is made to look like an amateur player. I would much rather watch Andy Roddick slog it out for 5 sets (well 4 & a half) like the other day instead of watching a straight 3 sets victory like we seen against Hewett.

I have never made out that I'm a serious player so I'm not sure what your trying to get out. It seems I have hurt your feelings by not getting down on my knees and kissing Federers butt like all his fans do. :p

Ahh.. typical non-Federer fan answer. It's not his fault that he's too good to play against most of the players. :rolleyes:

By the way, Roddick lost AGAIN... sigh... :p

we were a little tiddly during this match and we were laughing so much

"its unbelievable! down the line!" :D

Ahh.. typical non-Federer fan answer. It's not his fault that he's too good to play against most of the players. :rolleyes:

By the way, Roddick lost AGAIN... sigh... :p

well to be honest i really think he is very boring as a player and a person but he has got better with age. I just didn't want to hurt your feelings anymore. I still realize he has great ability, just not a fan of all his self indulgance and fans that would lick the sweat off his back.

well to be honest i really think he is very boring as a player and a person but he has got better with age. I just didn't want to hurt your feelings anymore. I still realize he has great ability, just not a fan of all his self indulgance and fans that would lick the sweat off his back.

Ok, I guess I have to realise that not all are the same so I'll leave it at that... just very passionate about the game...

On another note, there have been some good matches in the Open like Henin vs Dementieva and last night with Murray vs Nadal... sad that it was halted abruptly though... Nadal knees would be his achilles heel.

Bernard Tomic... not sure about his game... not sure about his future. Give him one or two years in the tour and let's see what happens. He's got lots of confidence though so that's a plus.

The Tsonga v Djokovic match was great up to the 5th set and it became a little boring. It was interesting to hear the French commentator Leconte in there with Sandy & Jim. I started to want Djokovic to win as Leconte was so one sided even though he is quite funny. I think the other two just gave up and let him do the talking and yelling, Jim looked a bit cheesed off but handled it well. :)

But I will be rooting for Tsonga to beat Federer :p

Back