Termite damage

I'm doing some renovations and have discovered what I suspect is termite damage in a wall. Initially I thought there was water damage to the gyprock so pulled some off to see what was going on and have discovered the studs to be falling apart (they crumble easily by hand). See the attached photos.

Does this definitely look like termite damage? I have not seen any live termites there as of yet.

I am trying to work out the order of things I need to do:

1. Get an invasive termite inspection to determine scope of problem? (Had a B&P one previously however this wall was covered in carpet).
2. Rip out all the gyprock on the wall.
3. Get a carpenter in to rebuild the stud wall
4. Gyprocker/plasterer in to redo the wall.
5. Electrician in to reconnect power points.
6. Then paint

Regards,

Jason

Attachments

• 2012-10-28 14.48.29.jpg
    2012-10-28 14.48.29.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 164
  • 2012-10-28 14.48.37.jpg
    2012-10-28 14.48.37.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 2012-10-28 14.48.49.jpg
    2012-10-28 14.48.49.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 130
Yep that is what termites leave behind after a feed.

The wall was covered in carpet? Maybe they were hiding it?

I would definitely want to see if there was further damage.

Your order is correct.
I hope you got it at a good price. Mightn't be too bad though. Sometimes it's just one area.
Good luck. I hate those surprises.

With the damage shown in the pics you will need to open a lot more of the wall structure to check the extent of the damage.

Showing in one of the pic's is a sub next which shows that there is a heavy infestation which is why I suspect you are only seeing a sample of the full damage.

Regardless it is easier to repair the gyprock by taking all the gyprock of the wall as the repair will be seamless.

You should also look in the area above the damage either in the attic or the next story.

Some of the termite damage we had to repair.

Another wall virtually none existent

and in the joists

Lets hope it is not as bad as we had as we basically had to rebuild the bottom story of our house.

Cheers

We had some surprised termite damage in one we've just added to the magazine's portfolio. Pretty much did the same - had to dig to find the extent of it (ended up essentially rebuilding a room and stairs...). Still working out to a profit thankfully.

Is it really worth having an invasive pest inspection in the first place? Ours was in an area known for termite damage so we almost expected it, despite the standard B&P inspection not picking up on it.

All the damage is fixed now though :)

It's best not to disturb the termite further. They are sensitive to disturbance and will scurry away. Only to come back at a later time. Best fix is a baiting system that will kill the whole nest. But it's expensive. Perhaps you can talk to your neighbour and share some of the cost.

Ideally, give this problem to a builder, rather then manage it yourself. Because he has to fix the damage and provide termite protection as well. And there's the 7 years guarantee.

Finally, which ever way you decide make sure you have a "passive" termite protection system. Just don't end up having to spray ever 2-3 years

G'luck

I'm doing some renovations and have discovered what I suspect is termite damage in a wall. Initially I thought there was water damage to the gyprock so pulled some off to see what was going on and have discovered the studs to be falling apart (they crumble easily by hand). See the attached photos.

Does this definitely look like termite damage? I have not seen any live termites there as of yet.

I am trying to work out the order of things I need to do:

1. Get an invasive termite inspection to determine scope of problem? (Had a B&P one previously however this wall was covered in carpet).
2. Rip out all the gyprock on the wall.
3. Get a carpenter in to rebuild the stud wall
4. Gyprocker/plasterer in to redo the wall.
5. Electrician in to reconnect power points.
6. Then paint

Regards,

Jason

if the wall is not structural, then no major stress

ta
rolf

Being a bracing wall there is a fair chance it is a structural wall.

Yes you will need to pull off the gyprock or get a pest man in with a camera and drill holes so he can look behind the walls to locate the damage.

Me I'd rather just pull off the gyprock and hopefully track the damage down and rebuild. In saying that sometimes its not as simple as that because they may have left a section where you are and gone to the other side of the house and dined.

You will also need to find where they have come in may not just be one location and also get the place treated. I prefer a barrier (termidor) however there are other options.

Your plan of work is fine the hard part is to find all the damage.

Brian

Back