The Big Bad Question.

This is a serious question and I would really like serious, well thought out responses. No references to the Da Vinci Code either.

How many of you are religious?

Not bothered with what denomination you are, just if you are religious and are actively religious in your daily life. I would also be interested to know if people here are religious because they have faith themselves in a spiritual god or just because that's what their parents were and they are following suit.

i was christened, confirmed and attended catholic schools. i excelled in RE.

but i am not a religious person. not all all. not one bit.

faith is something that has always interested me though - again regardless of denomination. the ability to put faith in something and/or a system that may or may not be there completely baffles me. really, i can't understand it.

i am well up on the histories of most major religions, i have read much about paganism, Constantine, the 80 gospels, the dead sea scrolls, the old testament and it's conversion errors from old hebrew to greek, the fact that jerusalem aint where it;s meant to be and the saudi's attept to cover it up - the whole box and dice. right up to the present day motives behind the Mossad and the Illuminati.

yet i still can;t find it deep within me to have faith in a God.

maybe because i've got analysis paralysis, orthe fact that the deeper i dig, the less "godly" events and things i discover and the more "constructed" the whole argument seems.

i believe the meaning of life is to improve your children's life, make them a better person than you are and make sure they pass that on to their children.

i certainly don;t want to challenge anyone's faith, i believe it to be a beatiful thing. i just wish that sometimes i could have a bit too and would be interested to know if others have it or desire it or if it's just me.

Hi Blue Card,

I am not religious as I believe religion is something that was created by certain people to manipulate the masses.

I do have faith that a higher spiritual level exists, I think of earth as God's ant farm.

Karma exists to encourage us to respect each other.

very dangerous topic.

I'm not religious, but I am ok with anyone who wants to be peacefully religious.

Last edited:
i'm the same as macca - i don't consider myself religious, but i do believe in a higher force (may the force be with you!) and i call it "the universe".

however, i have nothing against anyone who embraces organised religion - as long as they don't use it as an excuse for violence or non-action, or try and push it down my throat.

peace and harmony to all men (and women)

i don't think it's a dangerous topic on a forum full of educated minds. i'm only asking why someone has faith, not questioning the morals behind said faith or the legitimacy of one over the other.

why do you have faith in a higher power, Macca/lizzie? what brought you to your conclusion if you don;t mind explaining a bit further.

i was christened, confirmed and attended catholic schools. i excelled in RE.

but i am not a religious person. not all all. not one bit.

That about sums me up. I'm sure I'll look into my beliefs and religion one day, but at this point in my life it's not a priority.

Having said that I have no problem with anyone else and their religion, as long as they don't interfere with others. Unfortunately, religion is THE biggest killer man kind has ever known, and will continue to be in the future.

yeah but i'm not trying to discuss religion itself - more why people have faith. i'ts something i don;t understand and would like insight into from some people that do.

we all know about the wars, inquisitions, sanctions, genocide etc. no need to open those cans of worms.

Disclaimer: I hope no one is offended by what I have to say about religion as I will be expounding my view of religion and do not have any intention of degrading any faith or belief that people may have in thie forum.

Recently, I have come to a conclusion that a religion has one big common factor: to keep order in society. Religion creates values or rules to keep a community or society in order. People pertaining to those religion may choose to internalise the rules and create values or morals. Others just obey the rules on the surface and do not put much faith in the values as they have not internalised in their own belief system. And those people who have trully internalised the rules of their religion and found meaning and purpose in those rule, I call them "religious", regardless of whether they belong to a sect or not.

People who follow religious rules without internalising them, because they were just brought up to follow those rules as way of their life, they are not religious even though they may call themselves to be religious. They are just wearing the clothes of "religion"- commonly called lifestyle or culture.

By internalising the rules, that is making them your own set of rules which you base your actions which I call "values" are what I call people with faith and religious. For example do unto others what you would you yourself or do not steal, do not commit adultury etc. They do not have to worship an external being or attend religious services on regular basis to have faith or to be religious.

As to the existence of an external being or force, I do not know and I will never know. And I cannot believe because I do not know. But I have not ruled the possiblities of that external being existing completely out. But I do not argue with people who insist that they do, because I know that I never can win the argument and what is the point if I do win? If we did not have the language and ability to conceptualise do you think such word or concept of the word "God" can exist if we existed just as human beings without a language?

But I am religious according to my own definition because I have internalised some of the religious tenets and have created my own value even though I may not have a "religion" by common definition. For example I will not steal because I do not want to not because I will be prosecuted and put into jail. I will not commit fraud not because I will go to jail, but because I don't want to. I just don't feel comfortable doing those things.

How many of you are religious?

Not bothered with what denomination you are, just if you are religious and are actively religious in your daily life. I would also be interested to know if people here are religious because they have faith themselves in a spiritual god .

I'm not religious at all. No faith in anything. Everything is simply explained away with evolution and how the universe was formed. There is no afterlife, and I wish there was, but there aint. Make the most of life, because eternal nought is ahead.

I do wonder if the universe is teaming with life, or if life on this planet was just a trillion, trillion, trillion to one co-incidence of molecules and energy creating a microbe.

See ya's.

I'm not religious at all. No faith in anything. Everything is simply explained away with evolution and how the universe was formed. There is no afterlife, and I wish there was, but there aint. Make the most of life, because eternal nought is ahead.

I think you're right, but isn't that reality ok as well? I feel that the possibility that life ends when we die on Earth can also be a liberating thought, encouraging people to make important life choices that suits them; for example, studying or being a parent, travel and volunteering etc. In regard to religious individuals, I respect that only if it causes no harm to anyone else. For anyone that's interested, I would recommend "The god Delusion" by Richard Dawkins. Sometimes we just have to grow up and face facts. :)

Phil

BC, isn't it a meaningless question?

Once an adult, isn't it a matter of personal conscience whether one is religious or has religious faith?

If an adult is swayed to have or not have faith by what his neighbour believes, then are we talking about religious faith, or alternatively, some form of herd mentality that bestows a Darwinian group survival advantage????

But then, if we are swayed to have faith by what others believe, then it can't be purely a question of personal conscience. After all, people can't become Christians unless they have heard of Christ through other people.

At the end of the day, it would seem matters of personal conscience are simultaneously matters of social environment/conditioning.

Im not sure how one can say there just isnt life after death. That is something you are assuming and thats all. I too hope there is but I have no idea whats install for us after life on earth as no one else does either. I tell myself there has to be something because lets be honest, surely there is more to it than just "this life" Sure we make the most of it etc etc but at the end of the day its nothing too flash. Death, sickness, crime etc Young lives taken well before there time, while the undeserving seem to live long lives and do no good with there chance here.

Anyhow yes I am religious. I am catholic. Ah, I do believe in god. I do believe in treat others how you like to be treated, I do believe in Karma. And I do believe everyone on earth has the right to chose and follow any peacefull path they desire. The key word being PEACEFULL :)

Do I stick to all catholic rules? Not at all. I was raised catholic but not exactly an active one at that. Do I go to church? Not often. I go every easter and xmas with my wife. My wife goes every sunday because she likes to and Im happy for her to do as she pleases. I beleive there is more to being a catholic (or any other religion) than just sticking to there beliefs word for word. For me its simply a matter of doing the right thing by others and being a good person. Thats whats important, not the religion. Many catholics (including my inlaws) dont find me religious and are not happy about the way I am. But like I told them from day one, I think they should be happy with the fact that I treat there daughter well and make her happy which I think is much more important than whether im "catholic" enough for them.

I also think that no one has the right to talk another person into a religion. I have mates from all religions and mates with no faith at all. But hey they are nice people, treat people fairly and work hard so to me thats all that matters.

Jayro:)

why do you have faith in a higher power, Macca/lizzie? what brought you to your conclusion if you don;t mind explaining a bit further.

because it makes me comfortable - and i have have experienced too many "weird" coincidences to believe some of my experiences are merely fate.

Im not sure how one can say there just isnt life after death. That is something you are assuming and thats all. I too hope there is but I have no idea whats install for us after life on earth as no one else does either. I tell myself there has to be something because lets be honest, surely there is more to it than just "this life"...

Hi Jayro, I sometimes think people make too much out of the whole 'life after death' issue. Most people do not live beyond 80 years or so, everyone will find out very soon anyway. ;)

You feel that there must be more to 'this life' than what there is, but what if there isn't? I think life on this planet is so exciting and full of surprises without even worrying about the possibility of life after this one. Like sunrises and sunsets, the seasons, birth and death etc, all these things remind us of just how transient life is. I feel there is a certain beauty in this also.

Phil :)

G'day Phil,

Mate you are right there, we will ALL find out soon enough I guess. I hope I didnt come across as though I was saying that you were wrong? Just ment that we just dont know I guess. And your spot on, there is ALOT of things on this earth and in our lives that are just incredable. I do worry about dieing (as stupid as that may seem) And Im sure I spend too much time stressing over it and not enough time just enjoying life. I do find the older I get the more enjoyment Im getting out of things. Those simply things you mention never use to mean jack to me but these days I can certainly see what you find so appealing about them. In the last 12 months Iv become an uncle to a little nephew (from my brother) and a neice (from my wifes sister) and I was never one for kids but I just cant believe how special they are and what they bring to the families.

I use to live and breath fishing. Gamefishing was all I read and wanted to do on weekends but these days id much prefer the things like dinner and a bottle of red at a waterfront with my wife and friends just enjoying good times or coffee with my wife at the local cafe or on the beach. Thats a reason I got into property. Hopefully it will over time give the freedom to get the most out of life.

And I guess Phil, even though I do believe there is life after death if there isnt life after this one then so be it. But I guess thats certainly a reason to make the most of our time here. We are certainly in the best country to enjoy our time here so why not.

Jayro :)

Hi BC,

I believe that there is a spirit life after death because of my personal experiences.

I prefer not to put them on here but I am in no doubt whatever.

I tend towards another plane of consciousness as being what religions describe as heaven, but I don't know that.

G'day Phil,
I hope I didnt come across as though I was saying that you were wrong? Just ment that we just dont know I guess... I do find the older I get the more enjoyment Im getting out of things. Those simply things you mention never use to mean jack to me but these days I can certainly see what you find so appealing about them. In the last 12 months Iv become an uncle to a little nephew (from my brother) and a neice (from my wifes sister) and I was never one for kids but I just cant believe how special they are and what they bring to the families.

No, not at all mate. I find the same now too. Today my wife e-mailed me a few things that we could do over the Christmas break (we don't have kids) and one of them was a visit to a bird / butterfly aviary. 15 years ago, the excessive drinking / smoking Phil would have laughed at the idea, today I thought "cool", I would really like to do that. We change as we get older.

Just enjoy life for what it is and enjoy the scenery. The rest will take care of itself. All the best,

Phil :)

Big Bad Question

Big bad question all right!
What are you trying to do Bluecard?

I will bite.

I am an athiest.

i.e. A-Thiest

That is, I do not believe in theism.

Theism as in organised religion.

Athiests get a lot of bad press, but I am pleased to admit to being one.

I do not believe in organised religion at all. It is just the social side of spiritualism I reckon.

I would never dare to be so arrogant as to believe that a personal god is taking an interest in me.
We are just a massive ants nest.

When something treads on the nest, the ants die. Ants do not go elsewhere. They die.

I'm a Christian. I believe in God the creator of the universe. i was not bought up actively Christian, in fact my parents were taken aback when i was baptised as an adult ten years ago.
I look around at the sunset, at the incredible universe, at my children and I cannot get my mind around the chances of them all evolving, it just cannot be. And the more I read of the Bible, the more it just sits right and true inside me.
And ... I dont like organised religion and I know religious-ness has caused a lot of grief in the world. I do go to a small family church and I pray. I think being Christian is more about having a relationship with God than just about anything else.

Back