The Block 2012

The two brothers seem awfully friendly for brothers. I think they are in with a good chance.
A soft spot for the bloke with the sleeve tatts and the tiny chick though :)

No hot water for a shower! NO way. I would not have survived.

Must be very annoying to be pulled away from working on the renos to take part in challenges, but, I suppose that's all part of the competition.

Would love to have been able to see the plans better. What would you do with the front room? I agree with one of the contestants that it's a VERY important room - it's this room that will provide the first impression potential purchasers will get of inside. I'm all for as many bedrooms as possible (with built-in storage) but only if it doesn't come at the price of a spacious living area. Will be interesting to see what the contestants choose to do.

I missed a lot of last nights' show - was too busy googling flood lines, flight lines and council website before finally signing the contract for our land purchase.

Did see NO HOT WATER in Melbourne. Hmmmm, methinks if there is power on to the site I'd be boiling my own water!

Also didn't get to see the enitre plan of the house, so not sure about layout ... but ... not keen on guest bedroom first thing in the door and it does seem a bit of a "pike out" option. There were 3 beds/2 baths upstairs, so perhaps and office/library/sitting room with fold out bed ... or knock thru to the living area (archway?) to make formal dining - wouldn't do formal dining as a completely closed off room as would never us it.

Did they have the option of relocating the stairs?

I would personally knock the wall down and have open plan living. It wont win the room prize, but I think your house would be worth more in the long run.

Anyone know what area in Melbourne the block is at?

Massive fail moment when the brothers hit that pipe digging that hole during the challenge... thought the botanic gardens grounds-people would have had some sense and called Dial Before You Dig beforehand!

Good to start seeing some actual renos from tomorrow night's episode, if the previews are to be believed.

I'm sorry - but this year the show is really starting to cheese me off.

The absolute first and unchangable rule of renovating is make sure your roof is watertight before starting ... even of only over the renovating area ... FAIL. This is something the producers should have done before anyone moved onto site.

Secondly - taking the teams offsite, with no prior warning so they could organise trades/fittings etc, for 3 days out of 7 during a double room (including bathroom) reno was ridiculous.

And then the poor organisation of the producers to get basic trades in to Dan and Dani's house means they were very unfairly disadvantaged.

Bit hard to start reno-ing when there is no floor installed :rolleyes: (first week) - and then this week their windows took 2-3 days :eek: longer to install than the other teams so Dan and Dani couldn't build their dividing wall and hence begin their current reno - so put days behind due to circumstances that were in the control of Keith ... and then they were told the cupboard installer couldn't get to them until the following day because they were building someone else's cupboards.

That all totally sucks - Stegbar needed to get more teams on the job, and Keith needed to make sure all the teams started with a level playing field.

I am quickly getting disgusted at the incompetence of the lack of the underlying production requirements.

I am quickly getting disgusted at the incompetence of the lack of the underlying production requirements.

Agree. Also, I'm falling asleep when it's on. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz boring - especially the brothers. Also, the room I liked best last week came last and the room I liked the least, won.

I admit that I keep thinking that "if I was on the show" ... I'd have paid my handyman to come down for the entire series.

He's extremely competent, able to think for himself and inexpensive. So, even if you just paid him for a 10 hour day for 3-4 days/week - then sent him home (cheap airfares) to his missus for 3-4 days/week ... he would organise and crack the whip on so much.

I am disappointed that the only couple doing anything a little "wow" and different are Sophie and (what's his name) ... and I can't stand their shabby style. Did love the light last week tho.

I am disappointed that the only couple doing anything a little "wow" and different are Sophie and (what's his name) ... and I can't stand their shabby style. Did love the light last week tho.
What is she actually doing though. I haven't seen her "do" anything on the entire series. Didn't have a go of the nail gun. Never seen her with a paint brush. each episode looks like she its of shopping, or off to complain to the other contestants about Dale.

What is she actually doing though. I haven't seen her "do" anything on the entire series. Didn't have a go of the nail gun. Never seen her with a paint brush. each episode looks like she its of shopping, or off to complain to the other contestants about Dale.

At what stage did you contemplate changing the channel after all that?

good point.

probably should have changed.

BUT - block is round the corner from our house - so has extra interest factor.

Have elected not to watch "challenge" episodes though.

Have elected not to watch "challenge" episodes though.

Good decision.

Watching a property renovation show with a contestant that doesn't actually renovate seems a bit wrong to me.

I've gone one better; I've elected not to watch any episodes. :D

Much prefer to watch recorded episodes of the Colbert Report. very funny

Speaking of funny; does anyone watch Tosh.O?

He's shameless.

Sorry; off topic. :eek:

Well, I'm loving it. The challenge episodes are a bit annoying, but I find it interesting to see the way they handle winning or losing. I'm finding Danielle a bit of a princess, and Dan a bit of a hunk but also a bit annoying. Why he doesn't reign her in, I don't know...

There have been a few times that she has reminded me a bit of Kim from Kath and Kim.

I like Dale and think he would be a lot of fun.

We're renovating Matt's new house. We're living our own "block".

I've gone one better; I've elected not to watch any episodes. :D

Much prefer to watch recorded episodes of the Colbert Report. very funny

+1 to not watching fake reno shows.

Colbert's line "reality has a liberal bias" is priceless though too.

As much a I find them dull, I'm glad the brother's room won this week.

I LOVE those big wide skirting boards some of the contestants are using - to me they look sensational, especially painted white.

Not that I know the area at all but if the suburb is an upmarket one, Sophie and Dale are possibly not decorating appropriately for the market - as although their style is creative, original and appears to be executed well, it still has that 'cheap/second hand and making-the-best-of-what-we've-got-because-we-can't-afford-decent-stuff yet' budget/first home buyers feel about it.

Agree on Sophie and Dale.

The block of four was bought fire 3 mil I understand. My assumption is they will be targeting well into the mil to 1.5, in which case your point about styling is definitely direct.

I liked the challenge episode last night.was a good cause and really well done.

Back