The horror!

I decided that, being a cheapskate and not going to make much (if any) money from the sale of my PPoR, that I will just touch up the chips and half-stripped bits of the skirting boards instead of painting them a nice colour like I would have done if we were to keep living here.

So down I went to the local hardware store, grabbed a bunch of dark brown sample cards, and went and compared them to my skirtings.

I now need to go out and buy a tin of ... mission brown :eek:

Kind of dates the last painting that was done on this house ...

Lmao

Hehe, that reminds me of a job i did for a Development Company here in Bris a few years ago. The director of the company wanted a quick fitout of his offices, and had no plans at all. I eventually convinced him that a reception area of 9 SQM was a little on the small side once the counter etc went in, so out came the partition walls and in went a nice curved feature wall. Then there was the issue of the colour for the feature wall? He left it up to me so we went with the very modern looking "Esspresso", a lovely neutral toned colour.
As soonas he walked in his first reaction was- you guessed it- "S*#T you painted it mission brown!" :eek:
After 6 years it still looks great, and i have even offered to repaint the wall a new colour to keep it looking fresh but HE LOVES IT.:p

Go figure

Adrien
www.mametconstructions.com.au

For those who don't know about it, I have had great success colour matching paint with the optical spectrometer at my local Bristol store. They only need a sample about the size of a fingernail.

It's always generated a perfect match for me.

Hehe .. mission brown is so NOT espresso :)

For those who don't know, it is the darkest shade of brown you can get on most of the paint charts (the top right corner of the Accent chart at our local hardware store). In a room with poor lighting it looks black. I don't know why anyone in their right mind would use such dark colours in smaller buildings, we can kind of get away with it with 14' ceilings and a 5.5m long family room, but still ...

I went out to buy Aubergine paint and ended up choosing dark brown. Painted one coat before hubby came home. His first words "what were you thinking......?".

However, we love it. Sometimes we are so daggy, that we find we are back in fashion :p.

Attachments

• DSC00698.jpg
    DSC00698.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 107
Yep - bought a house then, too, Pushka - Mission Brown EVERYTHING!! :rolleyes:

Cheers
LynnH

Heeey, maaan;

This is not correct.

what about the orange and lime laminex, and the amber bottle-base glass panels in the doors and wall dividers. :D

I remember there was some contrasting fawn with the mission brown as well.

On the wall behind the side board; right over there next to the fondue set. :D

Reminds me of the old joke: Mistress versus Wife

Man is making love to his mistress, he asks how is it, she replies, "great, great, I think its great."

Man is making love to his wife and asks how is it?, she replies "Beige, Beige, I think I will paint the ceiling Beige"

No offense intended, Peter

Thanks Learnings and Roadrunner. We love the colour, but wonder if we would need to paint it a less "in your face" colour if we ever sell the house.

I was nervous as a kitten when I rolled the first section. I thought hubby would flip but it works well, especially as these rooms don't really get as much use as the rest of the house. (Dining room gets used often, but cannot remember when we last sat in the living room. It is just the room set up that we inherited with the house.)

Here is the dining room, taken facing the other way. These two rooms are in the middle of the house and really are big hallways from the other living areas to the bedrooms and kitchen. Sometimes I wish I could reconfigure the rooms, but I do love the colour. I am sure others would equally hate it :D.

Thanks for the compliment.

Attachments

• DSC00700.jpg
    DSC00700.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 92
Heeey, maaan;

This is not correct.

what about the orange and lime laminex, and the amber bottle-base glass panels in the doors and wall dividers. :D

I remember there was some contrasting fawn with the mission brown as well.

On the wall behind the side board; right over there next to the fondue set. :D

You're right, Marc! I was thinking of the outside of the house. Inside was a real riot - and I do mean riot - of colour. :eek:

Living/dining room: Blue/green/purple shagpile carpet, orange/tan/gold wallpaper in a beautiful geometric pattern.
Kitchen: BROWN/orange/cream kitchen carpet, BROWN cupboards and benchtop, orange/lime/BROWN/cream walltiles.
Family Room: BROWN/cream flecked carpet, orange/gold/cream wallpaper.
etc,etc ....

We missed out on the amber bottle glass and the fawn ..... but we did have and orange and BROWN fondue set! :D

Ah, the good old days! :rolleyes:

Cheers
LynnH

Oh gawd, we have had both a mission brown and a fawn lounge suite. And kind of golden mustard laminex benchtops, and um, pottery stuff. Pottery was very big back then. Mission brown in fact.

And the door - we had a half circle of amber glass, and a side panel to match!

Never did shag pile though, always thought it was very manky.

Hey, Pushka, be kind :p - that was the way it was when we bought the place! :eek:

It underwent a HUGE makeover before we sold it - silly buggers that we were!

Cheers
Lynn

You mean "Moosy". I know he is a red dear but was christened Moosy long, long ago. We love our room but I imagine it would be very polarising to others. Moosy isn't in the same room as the telly but visiting kids love him and a friend of ours puts puts a different hat on him each time he calls by :p.

I did ask one real estate agent recently whether he thought the room needed to be a "normal" colour if we sold and he also liked it. I reckon we could ask another and get the opposite answer.

If this was our living room, I wouldn't have it that dark, but these are really night time rooms.

Back