The House of Hancock

If you think that's close you need a retina transplant, as did Lang :p

The actor playing Rose doesn't look/act at all Filipino. Filipino's speak English with an American accent - she doesn't have one. The actor has a Malaysian heritage. The actor's head shape is totally wrong for a Filipino. I guess you take what you can get.

I felt very sorry for Gina. It was a family company and her father treated it like it was his company. He seemed very cruel to Gina--not at all a loving father. No wonder Gina has issues.

I just watched it - entertaining. I'd guess the best is to come in the next episode. Slow to start with, but sets the scene.

Where's Gina's accent from? Did she actually speak like that? Or did the actor playing Gina get it wrong?

It sounds like a lot of South African, a bit of double bay, English and a pinch of Kiwi.

Her first husband was British, I guess this might be where she picked it up from? You could hear her British accent early in the episode, when she was addressing the group of people at the mine, prior to Lang taking over and the explosives going off.

As she got older, it was less there - maybe her second husband being a Yank may have skewed it somewhat.

Quite enjoyed the story the other night. Bit of a messed up family and interesting to see things haven't gotten much better with current generational fighting.

http://www.watoday.com.au/entertain...l-nines-house-of-hancock-20150213-13dod9.html

Why not let it air and then give an interview saying it was very far from the truth, now I just think she deserves all she gets.

She's been given the right to preview episode 2.

From the WAToday article- the second sentence is a bit worrying:
Mr Blackburn said the application was based primarily on two causes of action: malicious falsehood and defamation.

In addition, it could be argued that professional paid actors portraying real-life people could be breaching Australian consumer law

If she's successful, nobody would be able to portray a real life person.

I was surprised as thought the first episode showed in a favourable light ... that her battle with her father was for the sake of the shareholders and her children.

Makes one feel sorry for her

If she's successful, nobody would be able to portray a real life person.
I don't particularly like the chick, but; the problem is that it is no doubt quite common that people are not portrayed correctly - poetic licence and all that.

I think if I was in her shoes I would want to be able to scrutinise whether the content was truthful, accurate and unbiased, etc

I have read a fair bit about Lang..................i always thought he thought with his d^%& sometimes.This http://www.smh.com.au/national/rineharts-halfsister-speaks-out-on-family-20120703-21fia.html didnt get a mention as yet.

A spokesman for Ms Rinehart confirmed changes had been negotiated: "I can indicate that Channel Nine has agreed to excise certain scenes, and to include appropriate disclaimers."

The disputed second episode is said to feature Ms Rinehart's troubled relationship with her stepmother, Rose Hancock, as well as her half-sister, and ongoing legal action surrounding her children.
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...t-with-nine-over-tv-show-20150214-13esle.html

I don't particularly like the chick, but; the problem is that it is no doubt quite common that people are not portrayed correctly - poetic licence and all that.

I think if I was in her shoes I would want to be able to scrutinise whether the content was truthful, accurate and unbiased, etc

Sure, people who are the subject of public attention would like to scrutinise- but not everybody can afford the army of lawyers it probably took to be able to scrutinise that second episode.

If, for instance, there were to be a biopic of Schapelle Corby (speaking hypothetically) I'd imagine she would not have had the chance to stop things showing on the screen which were potentially defaming.

The actor playing Rose doesn't look/act at all Filipino. Filipino's speak English with an American accent - she doesn't have one. The actor has a Malaysian heritage. The actor's head shape is totally wrong for a Filipino. I guess you take what you can get.

Yeah the actor is Eurasian and all the better for it :)

Sure, people who are the subject of public attention would like to scrutinise- but not everybody can afford the army of lawyers it probably took to be able to scrutinise that second episode.

If, for instance, there were to be a biopic of Schapelle Corby (speaking hypothetically) I'd imagine she would not have had the chance to stop things showing on the screen which were potentially defaming.
True,

I guess in the end the (film industry) is self-governing in that they won't risk a law suit for content not truthful etc.

Last edited:
Finally found a show I like watching and can follow. The only problem is that it's only a two part series. All of the commercials late last year were going on about 2015 - House of Hancock like it was some on going tv series for the entire year, etc. What a waste man. All that for only two episodes? What do I watch now?

Back