The Most Surprising Regret Of The Very Old

Very interesting articles.

I wonder, has anyone here had a near death experience such as being in an accident and close to death, and if so, what went through your mind?

When I was 19yo I got caught in a rip at the beach, was about 200m from shore. Waves were very high, I was swallowing lots of water, everything was going blurry I reached the point where I wasn't bothered struggling to stay above water anymore because it was too hard, then I felt very peaceful. There was literally nothing to worry about because there was soon to be nothing. So I felt complete peace.

Anyway somehow about 10 seconds after I gave up I randomly placed my feet on a high spot of sand all the way out there from shore. And I could stand up with the water at about chest level and take some breaths until the surf life savers arrived.

I don't think people should worry about death. Worry and regret is for the living to do. When you are about to die you realise there is nothing, nothing to worry about, nothing at all. And it's peaceful :)

When I was 19yo I got caught in a rip at the beach, was about 200m from shore. Waves were very high, I was swallowing lots of water, everything was going blurry I reached the point where I wasn't bothered struggling to stay above water anymore because it was too hard, then I felt very peaceful. There was literally nothing to worry about because there was soon to be nothing. So I felt complete peace.

Ok... my father almost drowned the same way trying to save us kids caught in a rip and he said the same, got exhausted so floated on his back and reckons it all became serene and peaceful, then remembers being awoken up on the beach.

Side note: Jim Morrison, lead singer of The Doors always wanted to experiment with death.Was facinated with it.
Curiosity killed that cat.

Anyway somehow about 10 seconds after I gave up I randomly placed my feet on a high spot of sand all the way out there from shore. And I could stand up with the water at about chest level and take some breaths until the surf life savers arrived.

I don't think people should worry about death. Worry and regret is for the living to do. When you are about to die you realise there is nothing, nothing to worry about, nothing at all. And it's peaceful :)

I've always wondered about rips... why were you actually drowning? couldn't you just tread water and let it take you wherever?

I've always wondered about rips... why were you actually drowning? couldn't you just tread water and let it take you wherever?

You'd be amazed at the ways in which water can move. I've seen all sorts of things whilst scuba diving and have dived between the heads of Port Phillip Bay (essentially 'the rip').

On more than one occassion I've witnessed and even ridden a strong current in a downward direction. Even with fins and additional bouyancy it can suck you downwars. I've watched my won bubbles follow the current downwards.

It's not a problem with the right equipment and training, but you wouldn't want to be out there dog paddling.

Ok... my father almost drowned the same way trying to save us kids caught in a rip and he said the same, got exhausted so floated on his back and reckons it all became serene and peaceful, then remembers being awoken up on the beach.

Side note: Jim Morrison, lead singer of The Doors always wanted to experiment with death.Was facinated with it.
Curiosity killed that cat.

My uncle almost drowned, had too much to drink Xmas Day, it was a backyard swimming pool, fortunately someone was sober and saved him.:)

Just re-read the article. So relevant each time I read it.

I am generally a very care-free guy. After going through a very stressful time a few years ago, I just became incredibly relaxed about life.

In saying that, I've asked to take 6 months off without pay to focus on my personal development. I have enough cash in the bank to service my loans and pay the bills.

And yet, I'm freaking out a little. I have nobody around me I can ask for unbiased advice in taking time off. Sounds trivial, but everyone else freaking out I 'have not job'. Logically I know their advice is based on THEM not having a job. Huge debts, negative geared, no savings. If I believed them at face value, I'd think I would never be able to get a job ever again (turned 27 this month).

Still, worry is contagious, it's so hard to ignore and not internalise..

Really high waves were knocking me down so I was swallowing a lot of water and losing oxygen and energy very quickly and wasn't able to keep myself above the water.

Just re-read the article. So relevant each time I read it.

I am generally a very care-free guy. After going through a very stressful time a few years ago, I just became incredibly relaxed about life.

In saying that, I've asked to take 6 months off without pay to focus on my personal development. I have enough cash in the bank to service my loans and pay the bills.

And yet, I'm freaking out a little. I have nobody around me I can ask for unbiased advice in taking time off. Sounds trivial, but everyone else freaking out I 'have not job'. Logically I know their advice is based on THEM not having a job. Huge debts, negative geared, no savings. If I believed them at face value, I'd think I would never be able to get a job ever again (turned 27 this month).

Still, worry is contagious, it's so hard to ignore and not internalise..

You'll be right, you have thought it thru, put systems in place etc. Whats to worry about except other peoples "advice". It's your life, make sure you do what YOU want to do.

My wife took a year off in her early years. I was ropeable, but she stuck to her guns and had it.

Forward to today it matters diddly squat. But she had a great time on the family farm having a bludge which is what she wanted. Well done I say.

Funny thing is, she is the exact opposite of bludge ever since..!:cool:

You'll be right, you have thought it thru, put systems in place etc. Whats to worry about except other peoples "advice". It's your life, make sure you do what YOU want to do.

My wife took a year off in her early years. I was ropeable, but she stuck to her guns and had it.

Forward to today it matters diddly squat. But she had a great time on the family farm having a bludge which is what she wanted. Well done I say.

Funny thing is, she is the exact opposite of bludge ever since..!:cool:

I pay more attention to those before me more than they think. All my uncles will reminisce about not havin taken that risk, or travelled, or time off in the past. Yet when I say I'm going to do it, suddenly it is a really bad idea. I don't particularly want a life filled with regrets. I've lived it the way I wanted so far, and it's worked, don't see why I should change now.

Thanks for the props Fence. I certainly have placed a lot of contingencies in place.

Back