The Nest

Is a 6 part serial on SBS on Saturday nights at 7.30pm, part 4 is on tonight.

It is a social experiment about adult children who haven't left home from 3 families.

First episode - the kids had to move out of home and share in 2 houses (under 25 years olds and over 25 years olds).

Second episode - the 3 groups of parents had a weekend away together to talk about their kids and how peaceful the house was. Also the kids spending budget was checked + how the kids are learning about sharing a house.

Third episode - the kids moved back home and had to take over the duties of parents and the parents did the kids duties!

Fourth episode tonight! :)

Regards
Sheryn

I watched episode 1 & 2 as it had replaced Top Gear repeats. Missed last week. Shall watch episode 4 tonight.

Sheryn,

what was the gist of episode 3? Please share.

Good grown up family watching programme

Michael

The link twobob posted gives a good explanation of the whole series + some more interesting reading articles.

Episode 3 - the parents were starting to enjoy their new found freedom and the behaviours and personalities of the children were emerging. Last night's episode proably caught you up on the missed episode.

I was lucky enough to have my 25 year old daughter watch the last half of the episode with me because the programme validated my beliefs and values eg. kids saving for a deposit, telling kids to move out of home etc.

She had one question, why haven't the parents paid of the house loan if they have lived in the same house for 20 years?

Regards
Sheryn

Ive enjoyed watching The Nest too, although I moved out at 21.....I could never imagine still being at home in my late 20's.

That Annielka would have to be the most disagreeable person ever! I think if she ever moves out it would have to be on her own - no-one else would put up with her for long! Talk about a self-entitlement attitude - gives Gen Y a really bad name! Still, I suppose the parents have made their bed (or is it nest) and now must sleep in it... I think they may be regretting their parenting style now!:eek:

Cheers, Nadia

Yeah I caught some of it last night and we too wondered why the house was not paid off. I don't think those parents were being very honest with themselves as to why the kids were still at home and if they wanted to move or not. The fact just did not add up - bought 20 years ago, the kids contribution only covers the bills - then why did they need the kids money to hold onto the house. Nothing wrong with wanting to hold onto the house - just not clear why that is such a financial impossability. Running costs? Maybe they have borrowe againt the hosue for medical treatment (completely understandable!)

I thought Annielka was a bit scary and I really felt sorry for her. I think she is going to be a very lonely unhappy person unless she completely turns around her attitude. Why at 25 she could not afford her own car and thought her parents were keeping her prisoner because they expected her to use public transport.

Why at 25 she could not afford her own car and thought her parents were keeping her prisoner because they expected her to use public transport.

me too am finding it really interesting and eye opening...

Didn't they say that one of her new challenges for next week was to make her open her own bank account!!! :eek:

was that for real ? that's crazy if it is.

Yep...this week she has to open a bank account and she's 25 year's old.

Another interesting thing that I got out of the show was the signs of divorce (it was applied to the daughter's anger) and she displayed all characteristics.

• Conflict
  • Contempt
  • Defensive
  • Withdrawl

Tough love is hard but must be done or she will divorce herself from the family.

Regards
Sheryn

Thanks Sheryn and tbw for the goss on episode 3.

Provides some interesting insights into the dynamics of the generation(s) involved and the different family sizes.

Wonder if Annielka will get a Victim (sorry I meant Visa) Card to go with her new bank account. Maybe one step at a time. It's a pity......I feel sorry for her also. But she can change her attitude; it's a matter of choice.

i'm also loving the show - but find the attitudes of the parents just as interesting as those of the kids - especially the woman that doesn't want to move out of the large house they cannot afford because "her mother is in a retirement home down the road".

it's just a house - if you can't afford to live then there you have no choice. otherwise, when the kids leave soon, there will be three vacant bedrooms and get in some boarders.

i loooooved the comment by the expert to the lazy computer trader guy about why is girlfriend was so much more mature - he was just trying to write if off as her being female etc - but he was promptly told that she was more mature because she lived out of home.

that is so true - and something i find very obvious in the current generation of stay-at-homers.

keep up the good work sbs

Yeah what happened - did the parents with the big family sort out their finances? Did the spoilt brat single girl work out how to get a life?

Back