The promised Kitchen Reno Photos Stage 1 and 2

OK, to LynneH and others who are interested, I am doing a demi DIY kitchen installation (which means I am chipping off the tiles and arranging the subbies!:p) and I have never done a kitchen before. Huge learning curve!

OK, Picture 1 is part way through the 'making safe' stage; unfortunately the oven with its gaffer tape bandaid holding the door on has already gone.

Picture 2, the next day (today, Saturday) and everything but the tiles remain. My job. Sitting here with the dirtiest hair possible (will wash tonight when all done) and cuts on my hands. Kitchen looks like a murder scene with blood - on the walls, the tiles, and all over the broom handle. Home alone at the moment but if son comes home he will think I have been murdered (Darling hubby is off trekking on the Himalayas as we speak - I planned it that way!)

I have learnt that you get the tradies in 3 times minimum - before removal, after removal, and after installation. Funny, usually I totally stress out and have to know all the details before I do something - maybe because it has been Son's year 12, Schoolies, Trip to Hong Kong, Year 12 results, Christmas break, son turning 18, waiting on any Uni Offers!, hubby off trekking - well, I am just going with it and people are so helpful to us 'mature ladies' who seem to be without a male person immediately available! Giving lots of advice, giving me their tilers number etc etc. Ringing them for me - the tradies must feel so sorry for this silly woman who has no clue! Seems to be working for me ;)

It is funny the things that are found when everything disappears. The plumber found a very scorched paper plate that had fallen through the gap at the top of the cupboards located on top of the wall oven!! :eek: How that didnt start a fire beggars belief!

Also, the flue at the top of the vent above the cooktop was not connected to the fan, and at the top of the flue - it is blocked off by the roof. I was always curious about how this could have been vented to the outside, when we have a 2 storey house, and no sign of a pipe upstairs. But my spatial IQ is pretty poor so I just figured, it must happen. But it doesnt - it was absolutey useless! :p No wonder the damn thing never worked!

OK, so now I am off to Banner to get something else to pry these tiles off - I think they are set with concrete.

(For those who are interested, son got into Commerce as his first preference. TER's for University were way down this year because everyone wants to go work in the mines! His TER was way above what was required for Commerce - he wants to be a merchant banker so will do a double degree in Finance)

Stage 3 - Thursday pm - the beginnings of the installation.

Attachments

• Somer1.jpg
    Somer1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 217
  • Somer2.jpg
    Somer2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Pushka

What a lovely mess!!!!! :D Only wish I could do the same to my kitchen right NOW! :(

I see what you mean about the tiles. We've usually had the opposite problem with tiles - they are all too eager to fall off!

QUOTE: well, I am just going with it and people are so helpful to us 'mature ladies' who seem to be without a male person immediately available! Giving lots of advice, giving me their tilers number etc etc. Ringing them for me - the tradies must feel so sorry for this silly woman who has no clue! Seems to be working for me

Have found this with the tradies, too - 'tis amazing the amount of information and help that one receives with a few 'dumb' questions and a helpless look on one's face! :p

Am looking forward to more photos as the installation progresses - have fun, and don't forget to put a bottle of Bolly (or whatever) on ice to celebrate the transformation! :)

Cheers
LynnH

P.S. And congratulations to your son for achieving such good results and getting into the degree he wanted!!!

Well Puska ... you have certainly done it this time...good on yer girl!:) Tis not an easy task for us older-renovators to get in and demolish a kitchen. I've done it myself and those old screws that are well and truly rusted in, can give us muscles on our muscles. What a great learning curve...yep...that's how I do it...dumb questions, lots of notes and a Google here and there.

I have actually borrowed a rivet gun this weekend. Have no idea HOW to use it....but will Google for destructions! :D Afterall, it can't be that hard, now can it!;)

Good old Google...there's nothing like the pop rivet video for a blow by blow of how-to:
http://www.askthebuilder.com/Pop_Rivet_Tool_Video.shtml

Last edited:
I was 29 when we did our first big PPOR renovation, had a baby on the hip. Next big PPOR reno I was 36, third baby on the hip, but still feeling a bit like a "yummy-ish mummy". Builder was probably a few years older than me.

I well remember our last major renovation when I was 39 or 40 and for the VERY FIRST TIME I had tradies who were considerably younger than me :eek:

I actually remember the thought, like a lightening bolt, "this plumber is several years younger than I am". It was not the nicest thought, and made me feel old for, probably, the first time.

Now we have had tradies who could nearly be my son's age and I am more used to being a bit older, but I still remember back to that "lightbulb" moment.

I also have a friend who goes rather overboard with the fluttering eyelashes thing. I find it highly amusing. She has dropped some heavy hints about how she doesn't have a man at home to do all the things I get done for free. I tell her they are not free :p . I know my hubby finds her very irritating and he doesn't have enough time to keep me happy :D so I keep quiet and don't offer his services.

We also know that any help would definitely be the thin edge of the wedge, so I just keep my mouth shut and don't offer. I feel mean, but she earns more than we do anyway, so what she doesn't get with the fluttering eyelashes, she has to pay for.

Well Ladies, I got myself some 'secret men's tools' :eek: and most of the tiles are gone, along with some heavy duty plaster, oops :eek: heavy duty spakfilla here I come.

Totally sexist, but I just wish I could talk to a 'man' in our local hardware. Instead, there are young girls (22ish) and there is no way they could have any first hand tips about reno's.

I have damp mopped the kitchen now, as it is a through way to the family room, and even though it looks evil, it looks 'better"

OK, gotta go know, son has just brought hime some Thai takeway and I am about to crack a bottle of wine - all for myself :p

Hi Pushka,

We are about to start something similar. Couldn't stop smiling! And its been a few years since we did this last time.

Great start!

Well, we have a tenant problem. Our cat (Pushka ;)) has put in a complaint to the tenants tribunal. Noise, dust and loss of facilities. We have lodged a counter claim of too much use of the kitty litter, but we will settle for a reduction of rent.

Will let you know the outcome!

Hi Pushka

Know how it feels, we are in the middle of two 'redecorates' at the moment. Just don't go crazy with the filler and end up with high spots where tiles will go later.

I also have a friend who goes rather overboard with the fluttering eyelashes thing. I find it highly amusing. She has dropped some heavy hints about how she doesn't have a man at home to do all the things I get done for free. I tell her they are not free :p . I know my hubby finds her very irritating and he doesn't have enough time to keep me happy :D so I keep quiet and don't offer his services.

Had an eye flutterer this week!!!:( (and then a screamer and then a cry'er)

Am co-ordinating the install of fire doors in a block of units where we own a couple. Just arrived to check up how the boys were going when one of the other owners comes down and asked whether the boys have a spare key.

Turns out they had just finished fitting her door, explained the workings of the new lock and then handed over the keys which she had promptly dropped in her had bag. It appears she then went next door to speak to a neighbor, the door automatically closed as part of the fire regs is an auto closer.

Of course all keys were handed over as they should have been well first it was the fluttering etc (in her time she would have been a bit of a stunner) then the rage, then the crying and a cycle through all these a number of times.

Bottom line there was nothing that could be done apart from a locksmith ($40) which she refused to pay for so for the next 3 hours she hung around as she could not leave waiting for her husband to arrive.

I just hope that in the end they organized a locksmith as any damage to the door is going to be very expensive for them.

Cheers

Hi Pushka

Know how it feels, we are in the middle of two 'redecorates' at the moment. Just don't go crazy with the filler and end up with high spots where tiles will go later.

Ah, now this is another problem. I simply cannot remove some of the 'adhesive' AKA CONCRETE that the former tiles were fixed with. If I manage to remove it then I also remove the actual plaster (grey) that adheres to the bricks. So at the moment I have unremovable high spots. I think the tiler thought he was building for Armageddon. What can I do........

Well, we have a tenant problem. Our cat (Pushka ;)) has put in a complaint to the tenants tribunal. Noise, dust and loss of facilities. We have lodged a counter claim of too much use of the kitty litter, but we will settle for a reduction of rent.

Will let you know the outcome!
Dear "Pushka the cat",
I'm with you on this one. My LL (AKA Mum) did the same thing when we relocated to The Beach House. Renovations were not finished. In particular, she had not (and has still not) finished installing the wires around the balustrade, and I actually fell off and landed on the wheelie bin before hitting the ground. :eek: Fortunately I was not injured! But being deaf and blind, I had problems finding my food and water bowl, my bed was in a different place (relocated under the sofa). I lodged my complaint by weeing on her new tiles, and she quickly put up a temporary fence so I wouldn't have another fall. In the end I got compensation via reduced guard duties when the LL installed security lights.

So stick to your guns, meow loud and clear, and don't forget to lodge your complaints on the floor...they have to take notice then!:)

Cheers
ABK9 Sailor "the dog"
Never a ship sails away...but it takes my heart as a stow-away.

Ah, now this is another problem. I simply cannot remove some of the 'adhesive' AKA CONCRETE that the former tiles were fixed with. If I manage to remove it then I also remove the actual plaster (grey) that adheres to the bricks. So at the moment I have unremovable high spots. I think the tiler thought he was building for Armageddon. What can I do........
Basically you need to get it level or below the level of the wall.

Judging from your previous picture it looks like spotted adhesive which you should be able to chisel off.

We now have a special grinders that does the job but prior to buying it we would use a wood chisel and just work away at it.

If it is actual cement that the tiles were adhered with then you have no choice but to get a jack hammer to do the job and then fix the damage subsequently.

Cheers

Judging from your previous picture it looks like spotted adhesive which you should be able to chisel off.

Those tiles were easy to get off with a chisel. The other ones had 'all over' adhesive, which was about 1 centimetre thick. There was no angle I get into behind the adhesive and the plaster; I think it was actually easier to get between the plaster and the bricks! They are the ones under the bench and to the right - the kitchen sink area.

If it is actual cement that the tiles were adhered with then you have no choice but to get a jack hammer to do the job and then fix the damage subsequently.

That was very prophetic of you! I have been in the 'mans store' today. They all keep saying it will chisel off. Well, it wont. Went back in to buy myself a mini jack hammer, but they said I didnt have a licence and might kill myself :p so this other guy gave me a big mallet and have been simply bashing away. Guess what, there are bricks under there :eek: And even after all the bashing, there are still some bits there, but I have had enough for the moment.

Is it hard to do plaster work :(

Hi Pushka

I think you will find it's bricks then render and then plaster.

I use a GMC tool called a " Rotory Drill" costs about $70 and works like a mini jack hammer. Brilliant on tiles that have been stuck on with cement.

Knock as much off as you can, try not to knock to much render off.

Buy a bag of render ($10) mix with water, you want it to the consistancy of scone dough. ( if you throw some at the wall and it sticks, then thats perfect) use a large retangle trowel and trowel it on like icing sugar.
Do not work it to much, try a keep it level with any good wall, wack it on as smooth and level as you can in 2-3 strokes, let it set a bit and then with a large damp (not to wet ) sponge smooth and level it out.

Then retile, a few low spots etc wont worry the tiler, you can sand any high spots missed when you sponged it once it dry - overnight.

If you have areas that will be seen that needs plaster. Get some Gyproc
" Final Finish" it's in the tradies section of bunning not DIY. It is premixed costs about $10, trowel it on the same way as render but thinner.
and instead of smoothing off with a damp sponge let it dry over night and sand it, I use one of those little sponge sanding pads and do it buy hand - less mess.

Hope this helps :D

Hey Celeste, just the info I needed! And yes, it is render not plaster. That horrible grey stuff that plasterers love to slap all over your carpets.

Ok, I have maybe 1/3 square metre worth of um, rectification with render to do. First thing tomorrow I am off to get the materials you suggested. That jack hammer sounded brilliant, but everyone tried to tell me not to do it. Next time,,,,,,nooooooo, never again :eek:

Hey Pushka, I had a similar problem with the render coming off back to the bricks.

Depending on the size and shape of the hole, if you are going to tile over the top you don't need to render - you can simply screw/bond cement sheet or even plasterboard onto the bricks and then tile over that.

Rendering may be a bit of a PITA. Unless it's a very small area.

Dear "Pushka the cat",
I'm with you on this one. My LL (AKA Mum) did the same thing when we relocated to The Beach House. Renovations were not finished. In particular, she had not (and has still not) finished installing the wires around the balustrade, and I actually fell off and landed on the wheelie bin before hitting the ground. :eek: Fortunately I was not injured! But being deaf and blind, I had problems finding my food and water bowl, my bed was in a different place (relocated under the sofa). I lodged my complaint by weeing on her new tiles, and she quickly put up a temporary fence so I wouldn't have another fall. In the end I got compensation via reduced guard duties when the LL installed security lights.

So stick to your guns, meow loud and clear, and don't forget to lodge your complaints on the floor...they have to take notice then!

Cheers
ABK9 Sailor "the dog"

Dear Sailor the Dog

I hope that you are feeling better now. What do these owners (actually, we own them but that it our little secret ;) ) think when they undertake such stupid ideas. Let's face it, all we need is a nice comfy bed, that is under a small roof so we keep nice and dry, a nice bowl of food and a bowl of water. Some toys are nice to play with.

But no, they think they need things like a kitchen, a bath :eek:, televisions, swimming pools and so on. And then because they have all these things, they need to pay for someone else to look after them.

Humans! :rolleyes:

I am currently sleeping on HER bed.

Well, I have done a search around and even my cat food place has disappeared. They better keep feeding me or else ;)

Now updated, Part 2A

Fair enough FirstHomeLooker, I asked for that. Yesterday in the midst of the tile issue I did speak to 'a man'. And he said I must be using a 'girly hammer'. :mad: Sigh. So I am back to talking to females.:p

Cecile, I got some of the powder you mentioned and it has worked a treat. Son mixed the powder as you described, and it was easy to spread and now looks fantastic. The pictures today are pre repairs!

The brown timber 'flue' and shelving is now a lovely clean white, and the walls (above the cupboards) have been repainted.

And yes, below the timber shelf, is wood - near the kitchen sink! Oh well, plaster will work wonders - it did for the last few years......

Attachments

• somer3.jpg
    somer3.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 92
  • Somer4.jpg
    Somer4.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Somerset5.jpg
    Somerset5.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 80
I know it will be worth it, I know it will be worth it.....

Gawd, the installation of the cupboards was supposed to take 3 days. Well, five days later, with days starting at 6.30am and finishing each night at 11pm:eek: they are in. One night I just told the installer to get out, take all their gear with them and put it outside (they had been leaving it inside where I had to squeeze around metal boxes, drills etc to get to the laundry which was my makeshift kitchen sink), then slammed the bedroom door until they had gone. I had had enough for a day :eek:

One time I decided I had to have a shower and wash my dust encrusted hair. So of course, while I am in the shower there was something that had to be asked urgently. I yelled to them to wait for a bit as I quickly got dressed. I opened the bedroom door and there he was, just outside the bedroom door! Now, our doors are old and there are some gaps :rolleyes:

Still, for $5,500 for granite benchtops, white high gloss finish, and wire type pull out baskets and a monster pantry, I am laughing...

The worst day was last Wednesday when the electrician and plumber were going their hardest destroying the walls. Crap everywhere!

If I hear one more 'We have problem', then look out :p

The tiler came to check it out - I had been warned that he was a bikie, but he is the nicest gentlest person- extremely polite and a very 'can do' type of person. He is going to fix up all my plaster chaos from removing the tiles - YAY.

The electrician is here as I type, I have no power so this is on dial-up so it is very slow. Lucky the laptop was charged!

Anyway, I am pleased to show you this so far......I am in love with my granite benches.......I pat them......:eek:

(The photos were taken late at night, will post some nicer ones when the electrician has installed the oven in a moment!)

Attachments

• somerset 8.jpg
    somerset 8.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 127
  • somerset6.jpg
    somerset6.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 95
  • somerset7.jpg
    somerset7.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Back