The reward

Not saying this is the place to buy as an investment , but if your interested in a weekender , now is not a bad time .

We've exchanged , but not settled on our first " non investment " property . A weekender on Port Stephens . In terms of timing I was interested to note that on the south side it has one of the highest rate of delinquent mortgages in oz , so motivated vendors .

I'm looking at this as " the reward " .

Cliff

Not saying this is the place to buy as an investment , but if your interested in a weekender , now is not a bad time .

We've exchanged , but not settled on our first " non investment " property . A weekender on Port Stephens . In terms of timing I was interested to note that on the south side it has one of the highest rate of delinquent mortgages in oz , so motivated vendors .

Cliff
Well done after all you have been always able to pick the trends before most..

Cliff
Congratulations, see_change - you couldn't have picked a nicer place!
BTW The high level of mortgage delinquency is due to the high number of holiday homes, not the state of the general economy up here. I have noticed of late the market is starting to move - in the $400k to $550k family home bracket at least. Top end is suffering with very few sales and there has been a fire sale on holiday units for ages.
Cheers, Ali

Was there earlier in the year. Hadn't been for about 5 years. Was surprised how quiet it was and how many shops had moved on. Still I would love to live there.

The whole area is quiet , but we wanted somewhere really quiet , as a contrast to Sydney , so we ended up in North Arm Cove . It's cheaper than the south side but with the changes to the freeway in the last few years it's quicker to get there than the south side which to me is suburbia on the sea . We're in wahroonga and door to door its about 1 hr 50 which is doable for a weekender .

North Arm. Cove was originally chosen as a possible site for the Australian capital and a whole pile of paper subdivisions where put through around the turn of the previous century . A dodgy developer sold these off in the 70-80's but these are zoned non urban so you can't build on them . Local council has been very proactive in their opposition to these beeping re zoned. Outside these non urban blocks there are around two hundred blocks in the village which can be built on , with a fair number of these being waterfront.

Prices have dropped down significantly in particular in upper market. This particular house ( not the one we bought ) started at 1.6 mill four years ago and is now asking 799 though would probably sell for less. Complete with boat house and a shared jetty.
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-north+arm+cove-105296928

I quite liked this place
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-north+arm+cove-106182438
from the point of view it has a really nice block of land ,1/2 acre slopping down to a usable waterfront . There's enough slope from the house to the water so any possible rise in water level is ( IMHO) unlikely to be an issue. The house is solid but tired . For those guys who like a shed , this has a serious industrial strength shed you'd expect to see on a farm.
Again I'd expect it to sell for less , maybe around 750 or maybe less.

You can pick up houses on the non water front side in the 300's and some are very nice houses with views. According to the agents there is a fair amount of interest in this section of the market.

We did look at pindimar however it's very low lying and on the first day we were there , with the combination on high tide and a strong southerly I saw bits of one block being washed into the water. There were some that looked ok from this point of view , but you'd need to do your dd.

Cliff

Was there earlier in the year. Hadn't been for about 5 years. Was surprised how quiet it was and how many shops had moved on. Still I would love to live there.

At present the main shopping centre at Salamander is undergoing quite a large expansion and the existing Coles supermarket in Nelson Bay has been bought by Woolworths. When the Coles lease ends in 2014 the building will be demolished and large Woolworths supermarket plus a dozen or so shops will be built.

On the southern side of Port Stephens it is quite urbanised so you need to buy away from the shopping centres and look around the back streets to get a nice bushy block.

Tiligerry peninsula is still a "quiet backwater" type place with only one small shopping centre and lots of leafy streets.

Where SC is at North Arm Cove, is still very undeveloped and with the restrictions on building will probably stay the way for some time yet

Back