The thread that motivated you to join the forum

Hi Everyone,

I often wonder what motivates or inspires a person to join this forum in the first place. There are many threads that are inspirational, moving or just entertaining but there will always be one that stands out in the crowd that you can never forget.

Im interested to find out the one thread or post that made you want to be a part of the somersoft forum. It can be from any topic....good or bad but made you sign up and become a member.

It could even be a thread from the old archives...for long term members or even a post from last week.

Here are mine...In 2nd place

Kristines Apprentice

This was the most amazing thread I have ever read. I remember reading this untill 1.ooam in the morning and could not believe the twist at the end.

But, the thread that gave me the motivation to join the forum would be Steve Navras....March on the next 10 years.

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7127

This inspired me so much that I joined my first forum ever.

These questions were so thought provoking but yet,very hard to answer. It changed my whole outlook on property investing. Every now and then I look at the 10 questions just to make sure I remain focus, with a claer goal in mind.

Would any body else care to contribute :)

Mrs Bird

G'day Mrs. Bird,

And THANK YOU so much for reminding me of those two threads. Part of the problem with a forum such as this, is that so many of the great threads "disappear" after a while.

Thanks to you, these two will see the light of day once more and encourage a bunch more people.

Re "what led me to join this forum" I'd have to say "Because it was there!" And the inspiration I've received since then has been awesome !!!! In those early days, (as you say) 20 posts a week was a good week - but good things have a habit of becoming better, and so it was with this forum.

For me, it was a great learning curve (often I'd answer a poster, just to say "Hi" and to show that they weren't alone - then, I'd tend to dig a bit to come up with some ideas relating to their question) - and THAT taught me so much!!!

Then around 6 months after it all started, it seemed to "hit the big time" and we had so many worthy people all seemed to hit the forum. People like Geoff(1), The Wife, Wishus, GeeCee, Owen, Sue1, AndrewG (not the same one posting today) and so many more.

Today, the number of worthwhile posters is myriad !!! Pick a name - there are now so many, that trying to put names to them would go for pages. In the end, though, each one of us would likely have favourites (those that push our buttons) - I say enjoy 'em....... Go to meet them when there is a get-together.

Thanks once more, Mrs Bird - your thread has been an inspiration (and a great reminder) to me. May it prove the same to many more.

Regards,

PS Rating a thread is useful - and (I only found this out a few weeks ago) if you click on "Rating" in any forum, the 5 star posts pop up to the top !!! What a bonus !! This Vbulletin format has so much going for it.....

To all readers, if any thread YOU are reading pushes YOUR buttons, go to the end of the thread, and look for the "Rate this thread" button. This will allow you to vote for a number of stars (goes from 1 to 5) to allow others to seek out the GEMS !!!

For me, it wasn't a thread- it was Google search for Peter Spann which found the forum (back in the days when the search engines indexed the contents).

I was a raw learner back then. I have learnt heaps from the forum- and, as I've learnt and done things, I've found myself in a position to be able to give something of value back (I hope).

I've been racking my brain all day to try to remember how I first found the somersoft forum.

But its no good, my brain just isn't working as it used to.

Trawling the web, I found the Wife's 'fisherman' post. Read it and joined.

Then I read the archives.

Suggest you guys do to. There's a lot of good stuff back there...

Jas

I came here via my tennants of the time selling investment books and software, I liked what I saw and stayed.....still havent read one of Jan's books yet :eek: I do have the software though :D

bundy

G'day Jas,

Trawling the web, I found the Wife's 'fisherman' post.
Isn't THAT a Classic !!! I can't recall HOW many times people have provided links for others. If it's got a bunch of stars (it SHOULD have) then clicking in "Rating" will bring it to the top. (IF you know the forum it is in.....)

Regards,

Originally posted by Les
G'day Jas,

Isn't THAT a Classic !!! I can't recall HOW many times people have provided links for others. If it's got a bunch of stars (it SHOULD have) then clicking in "Rating" will bring it to the top. (IF you know the forum it is in.....)

Regards,
It took a couple of searches- but here's the post - still very well worth while.

Originally posted by Les
G'day Jas,

Regards,

Just starred it, and re-read it. One of the best!

Jas

After working for Onetel in Sydney when they went broke and then moving onto Dingo Blue (later to close the doors!), I also was trawling the web for property news while at work and found the forum.....have loved it ever since!

Glenn

After being handed a well worn copy of Jan's first book by my father-in-law (in response to some comments about looking to invest in dot.com stocks), I eagerly sought out, bought and read her other books.

While checking out Jan and Ian's website (link was mentioned in the book), I stumbled across the forum, and the rest, so they say, is history.

I dont know if it was a single thread that did it...rather I found this from another website.
In October 2002 I found Steve Mcknights website and through that found the ninemsn website.....I then went to their meeting in January in the city when Dale visited and he spoke about trusts.
I asked him a few questions ( a bit nervous in front of about 100 people), did not make a goose of myself and came out very impressed with Dale - got a Hybrid Trust within days. Meanwhile had seen this site in a link by "Sooshie" on Mcknights forum and was reminded of it by Michael G one day when working on his shift.
Checked it out again and was blown away by how much better it was than the other two (though they are very good also!!) - and registered then. I have gained so much knowledge in the last 12 months or so - I love this game!!! :p

Originally posted by Sim
After being handed a well worn copy of Jan's first book by my father-in-law
He sounds like a very good father in law to have had!

Has he done OK in investing himself?

(My father did well in business, and was semi retired by 50- though did dnot do well in residential property. FIL is struggling to survive now- and is actually partially relying on one of our (non R/E) investments to help make ends meet).

You owe your FIL a lot more than your lovely wife!

Originally posted by geoffw
He sounds like a very good father in law to have had!

Has he done OK in investing himself?

You owe your FIL a lot more than your lovely wife!

He doesn't say much, but he comes from a family of butchers (he has been meat manager at Coles for over 25 years) - and has done very well for himself through some surprisingly conservative investments. Put it this way - they consider Jan's strategies to be high risk !

Apparently he has just decided to retire a little earlier than planned - so things must be going reasonably well.

They don't own much property, but what they do own is unencumbered now (which was their goal approaching retirement) - and I was surprised to hear what some of it is worth currently.

The best thing I think my FIL has done was teaching my wife how to save, and the importance of investing - a skill she passed on to me.

Mrs Bird
Thanks for the link. It is great reading some of the old posts. Need more links to the oldies but goodies. Can't get on here every day/week and sometimes/often miss some really good posts.

Cheers.
Quoll

Like Jas I and others I was powerfully motivated by The Wifes Fisherman post.
My original intro to it was not through this forum but Andrew Gray's old Creative real estate investing forum. I read several posts by this amazing person called the Wife and ended up finding somersoft indirectly - I remember sinking into the archives for several days worth of reading.
I can't believe that I have been enjoying posts on this fantastic forum for over 2 years now:)

Bill

I found about about this forum from the Richdad forum (which is a pathetic example of how to run a forum IMHO). It's not easy finding other places from that forum as all links are automatically deleted.

I came over here, and being a moderator and owner of a successful forum (for professional music) myself, liked what I saw in terms of the moderation style, the forum structure, and the tight control of SPAM.

I think that's the best way to attract good people and once you have good people, the good information starts to flow.

No single thread got me hooked. It was the quality of the people here that did the trick.

Back