The Vine: $215pw to live on a balcony

It's all about choices.

It's also about desirability, dollars and demand.

If something is desirable - with high demand - then (in our capitalist society) those with the most dollars will get.

That's just how it works - always has and always will. Doesn't mean it's fair or not fair, it's just how it is so you can either play the game by "how is" and improve your lot or you can whinge about it.

Perhaps he wants Newtown for it's LGBT lifestyle.

That would be a fantastic place to live as a youngster for a summer. I know exactly where he is. King Street is great: Dendy cinema, great food, big and small bars open late, small live music venues (including his backyard), buses to the city at the door and a train station down the road. He's living the dream and all his mates would be envious.
All the inner city suburbs prior to the late 60s were where the poor, the migrants and blue collar workers lived. Then when young people starting sharing houses, they gravitated there because it was cheap. With them, came the cafes and cheap food places and bars etc that have now made these places desirable - and expensive.
Ah, the irony. The baby boomers made the inner suburbs desirable, and now their children can't afford to buy there.

"I hated this for a long time, and I wanted to move, but I’ve sort of made it my space now."

That would be a fantastic place to live as a youngster for a summer. I know exactly where he is. King Street is great: Dendy cinema, great food, big and small bars open late, small live music venues (including his backyard), buses to the city at the door and a train station down the road. He's living the dream and all his mates would be envious.

You would suspect he feels the same or he wouldn't be there.

The rent sounds cheap after all. Someone tell the LL :D.

To me, it doesn't make sense to put people with limited financial resources in places with limited services, infrastructure or employment.
I don't recall anyone "putting" folk anywhere - unless they are in line for Gubbmint housing.

Yes, but a very large number do have to commute, especially in the newer housing estates in the outer suburbs. I lived with my parents in such a suburb before moving out and the lifestyle is terrible. I had to commute for two hours each day to go to/from work (equates to 1 month per year, in case you're wondering) and by the time you get home, you have no time to do anything. Your day pretty much consists of work and travelling to and from work. And we wonder why obesity and mental health problems are increasing. Sure, you can buy a big house for cheaper than elsewhere but how much is your time/health/family relationships worth? Thanks but no thanks.
Where we live and where we work is our own choice.

I've done the hour plus commute...just like anyone else - my decision and choice.

And then I changed it. Not always easy to do, but your choice is live life and hate it; or change it.

No big deal unless you want it to be, and whinge about how you "have" to commute to work for XYZ hours as people do.

Last edited:
Back