The Whole Delayed Gratification Thing

I have just started commuting to work in a $20k Mazda2 instead of my Avalon Grande (RRP $49k when new).... and I must admit I don't miss much feature wise on the way to work....

Cheers,

The Y-man

i was talking to a girlfriend today about how hubby and i should go out to dinner more often - but, at home we have 320degree ocean and city views, i can cook anything just as good as a restaurant (if not better), the dishwasher does the dishes, we can have a few wines and junior can take her dad for a swim while dinner is being prepared .... then we can all nap on the couch while digesting.

not much point in going out really.

i was talking to a girlfriend today about how hubby and i should go out to dinner more often - but, at home we have 320degree ocean and city views, i can cook anything just as good as a restaurant (if not better), the dishwasher does the dishes, we can have a few wines and junior can take her dad for a swim while dinner is being prepared .... then we can all nap on the couch while digesting.

not much point in going out really.

I am with you Lizzie.

We do go out a bit but invariably the discussion is how my wife could do this or that better.

As far as I am concerned I would much rather eat a good meal at home that I know contains quality ingredients then have a second rate experience at a restaurant.

The main reason that we go out is to join friends who live away from us and we are meeting in a more convenient location or because my wife wants a night of. (but since finishing the new kitchen my wife is now starting to appreciate entertaining at home)

Cheers

The main reason that we go out is to join friends who live away from us and we are meeting in a more convenient location or because my wife wants a night of. (but since finishing the new kitchen my wife is now starting to appreciate entertaining at home)

Cheers
Ditto!

And on that note, see you at SIG tonight!! ;)

Now if only I had panoramic ocean views, I think then that I'd eat at home a lot more often too...

Cheers,
Michael.

Now if only I had panoramic ocean views, I think then that I'd eat at home a lot more often too...

i was going to say that the house was our marshmellow - but buying the ppor was a convinience and financial decision rather than personal choice.

i know that sounds strange, but we previously lived out of town at the lake but with two big kids at uni and the third in her last years at high school in town, and a bus service was regular but very very slow to get anywhere (nothing direct to uni, work or schools), i was forever running around after them - so we moved back into town where they can either walk or catch a direct bus to wherever they want - huge savings in petrol and time! the house at the lake had also had it's big growth, and had been renovated fully, so there wasn't really any more financial gain to be made on it in the medium term.

we looked at a lot of places in town to knock down and rebuild, and then stumbled on this one. nearly 15yrs old and in need of a major cosmetic (but not structural) makeover. it'd been on the market a while when we bought it privately 12 months ago - since then similar properties (views not quite so good, yet renovated) have gone up in value to around 50% more than what we paid - as we expected - so we're slowly renovating with a view to double our money (including reno costs), sell around 5 years after purchase and move to where we want to be. all lovely tax free profit - and by then the big kids will have all left home!!

question now is - where "do" we want to go? :confused: after our 6 months in france of course ... :D hubby is talking about selling up in 5 years and buying a $1mil yacht to sail the world - i'm not quite so keen ...

LAAussie,

Can I be your friend too! ;) Big boat and an apartment at the snow. Now we're talking! :D

Cheers,
Michael

Absolutely!
As long as you can drink all night (well; I think I'm younger than I am, so probably only until about 11.30pm these days) and ski all day.

I am with you Lizzie.

We do go out a bit but invariably the discussion is how my wife could do this or that better.

As far as I am concerned I would much rather eat a good meal at home that I know contains quality ingredients then have a second rate experience at a restaurant.

Cheers

I dont think you guys are going to the right restaurants :) have you been to Marque IV in Hobart? We only go there about twice a year but damn its good.

Done!

I'm ex-Army Reserves so work hard/play hard is my mantra!! ;)

Cheers,
Michael.

Mick,
I noticed you are in Nth Narrabeen; I used to go up there to junior golf camps when I was a kid. I forget the name of the camp, but there were 2 or 3 ovals, a big games hall and lots of bungalows up on the hill. I think it was near Narrabeen lake?

Got to share a bugalow with Steve Elkington for a couple of camps. He was awesome as a 15 year old; still is.

It's a fair hike to Mt. Buller where my mate's apartment is, but if you are keen to get there, we'll tee it up for next winter after I get back to Aus in April.

Are you a skier, or a boarder; or both? I'm both these days, but still prefer the skis I think.

At the end of the day, the longer you leave your assets untouched, the less you owe, and the more you have (unless using equity to fund more IP's)

It all depends on what you want now and into the future, for me, I live a very comfortable lifestyle right now while still forking out cash on the IP as it slowly turns CF+

I dont plan on pulling out any equity at all for at least another 5 years if ever, I prefer to use real cash money I save in the mean time so Ill be better off in 10-20 years time when I retire comfortably
(I hope..)
the only time Id pull out equity is to fund another IP, not a LOC, Im too young to even consider using a LOC yet anyway as Im still working hard and making money. different strokes for different folks though I guess.

At the end of the day, the longer you leave your assets untouched, the less you owe, and the more you have (unless using equity to fund more IP's)

It all depends on what you want now and into the future, for me, I live a very comfortable lifestyle right now while still forking out cash on the IP as it slowly turns CF+

I dont plan on pulling out any equity at all for at least another 5 years if ever, I prefer to use real cash money I save in the mean time so Ill be better off in 10-20 years time when I retire comfortably
(I hope..)
the only time Id pull out equity is to fund another IP, not a LOC, Im too young to even consider using a LOC yet anyway as Im still working hard and making money. different strokes for different folks though I guess.

yeah but what about that original jtm45 head that you always wanted or that slab board strat?
pieman

For me it's all about time. I teach my 5yr old's prep class one morning a week. I have all the kids 1 whole day a week. I've taken both boys swimming this week and the 5 yr old ride to school and back once a week ( i die running beside him 2 k up and down hills). It is very interesting trying to eplain to a 5 yr old and a 3 yr old (1yr old just stares and smiles vaguely) that not many dads hang out with their kids so much and that many even went to childcare while both mum and dad were at work.

Back