Thermal insulation retrofitter

Usually we buy home as is and we have 2 options use as is or try to improve.
I wander if anybody has any major insulation success with modest investment.

I have few problems like single glazed aluminium windows that are major heat loss/gain and timber doors that bow away from insulation foam strip.

For a year foam did its job an was OK, now looks that lock holds that door in the middle, but top and bottom seems to have developed tiny gaps, which are caused by foam pushing doors back – just my opinion and I might be wrong.

I wander what would be the best way to bend the doors the other way?
I can make small attachment holding top and bottom of the door and small screw pushing against the middle.
I also thought about 2 extra locks on top and bottom of the doors, but this might make pain to use and some eyebrows going up, wandering “what we are trying to protect with 3 locks”?

Or some kind of metal angle attached to the door to give it more strength, but how to hide it?

Not sure if we have “Special insulation thread for existing buildings”, but I could not find any.

I have few problems like single glazed aluminium windows that are major heat loss/gain and timber doors that bow away from insulation foam strip.

Providing you don't mind the loss of some light you can use some insulating tint on your glass. The insulating foam strip rolls come in various density and thicknesses. Try a low density and a thickness that won't require compressing the foam to much, it will still do the job just as well if not better. Look at industrial foam suppliers instead of the local hardware shop, they have a wider range of products to suit the job. Your local aircond manufacturing workshop may also be able to help you with the foam.

Or some kind of metal angle attached to the door to give it more strength, but how to hide it?
If it got to that stage wouldn't installing a new door be easier/cheaper ?

cheers

Harb,
Thanks for suggestions

Providing you don't mind the loss of some light you can use some insulating tint on your glass.
I checked a Bunnings and appears they have thermal window film too.

Would you have any suggestion on how to insulate metal window frames?

Look at industrial foam suppliers instead of the local hardware shop, they have a wider range of products to suit the job.

I wander if can you mention name of any firm?
So I can look up if they are in NSW too.

If it got to that stage wouldn't installing a new door be easier/cheaper ?
It is only 1mm or 2, so I thought to bend it back, especially that it was so easy to go one way.

Aren't you going a bit over the top for a 1 or 2 mm bowing? Heat gain from windows can be addressed pretty well with very thick curtains and pelmets.

I've got an entire house with no roof insulation here, and its just going to stay like that for a few years, as it sort of needs a new roof - or at least will sometime in the next couple of years - and we'll insulate it then. Way Too Hard to do it now.

I checked a Bunnings and appears they have thermal window film too.

Would you have any suggestion on how to insulate metal window frames?

A lot of car window tint places also do homes with thermal tints, could work out cheaper to buy from them then Bunnings
There are some ceramic based paints you could use on the metal frames, if you really want to go that far.

http://www.insulationsuperstore.com.au/Products/InsulatingPaints/index.php
http://www.australianpaints.com/Therma_Shield.htm

I wander if can you mention name of any firm?

I use Tesa products but I think 3d and Durafoam also make a variety of sizes.

It is only 1mm or 2, so I thought to bend it back, especially that it was so easy to go one way.

Sounds like a hollow cored cardboard/mdf type door in which case you are wasting your time with it.

Harb,
Thanks a lot, and appreciate your help.

I know that grand improvements make big differences, but little things can make some difference too.

Few years old place unfortunately doesn’t qualify to replace existing windows with double glazed.

But anybody who has to replace windows, at least should look at double glazed and possibly timber frame too, or something that doesn’t conduct heat as bad as metal frames.

Back