This is what football, the World Game, is all about

For those of you who had the privilege of watching the Roar-Mariners A-league final yesterday, let me tell you this is a match that many will never forget. And this is what football is all about, something that you can't compare with state of origin, AFL finals, etc. This is another level people, and I know that many people out there (specially those who were at the stadium) that were skeptics, now understand why everyone loves this sport so much. The atmosphere, the passion, is at another level..

Amazing how the Roar came back from 0-2...

Now we need to get the A-league on free-to-air.

Back to the cricket world cup (yawn)

ED, undoubtedly, the A League GF last night was a great game. However I challenge you with regards to your comparison with AFL. I am a long term soccer follower, going back to the NSL days. The consistency of high quality games in both the NSL and even the A League is patchy as best. The crowds this year have never been worse for the A League.

Where I do in part agree with you, is soccer crowds however do have fantastic atmospheres. Having seen a couple of overseas games in Athens and a Premier League game at Emirates Stadium and comparing to a frequent follower of Collingwood games, where we average ~ 60,000, soccer has a better atmosphere imo.

Just a word of note, Ange Postecoglou (Roar Coach), is a Sth Melbourne great, captain of championship team in 1991 and back to back Championship coach in 97 & 98. My guess however, is that he will leave Roar and come back to Melbourne, probably to the Victory, given the parlous state of the Roar's finances (ie FFA guranateed).

As for free to air issue, the A League will never get there. Recall what Channel 7 did at the end of the old NSL which stuck them on at midnight, treated the game with total contemot. Given the mix of AFL & NRL games on free to air, do they have the air time they wish to dedicate to the number 3 national competition. In fact some of the figures I have been told anectodally, is that there are more viewers for One HD NBL than the A League.

It was a fantastic game last night and the atmosphere was amazing. In a way it was similar to a finals match at the MCG however, the noise seems more amplified at Suncorp Stadium. The majority was wearing orange which added to the spectacle.

For those of you who had the privilege of watching the Roar-Mariners A-league final yesterday, let me tell you this is a match that many will never forget. And this is what football is all about, something that you can't compare with state of origin, AFL finals, etc. This is another level people, and I know that many people out there (specially those who were at the stadium) that were skeptics, now understand why everyone loves this sport so much. The atmosphere, the passion, is at another level..

Agreed; last night's game was a great spectacle. The Mariner's arguably put on the best defensive performance of any team of the season for the first 116 minutes. The dramatic climax, was both exciting, and at the same time a bit saddening (really felt for the Mariners, what a way to lose it).

However, I will disagree that no other sport comes close. I remember at the end of last September the AFL Grand Final had a similarly tense and dramatic conclusion.

Nil all at the end of regular time. Decided on penalties. Yawn!

Yeah I dont like golf beacuse of the boring walks

That makes teh whole game and everything about it crap :confused:

Obviously the post is about excitment about a particualr game in a particualr sport, big surprise those who have not interest or repsect for the sport don't like it and have a go about it being boring, fans of this sport in Austrlia are well aware of what their detractors think....

By that logic, how dumb must golf be ? where you actually TRY to get a low score, like on purpose :confused:

Last edited:
I'm not a big Rugby Union fan but there is no contest on a sports arena like a Rugby scrum. If you (as a pack) lack either the strength or skill necessary to match your opponents someone could break their neck. I saw it once when one pack was so depleted the Ref called for "uncontested scrums" to prevent serious injury.

Whenever the packs crunch together I am enthralled.

Hi Ed

I agree. I don't normally watch A League games but it was a very exciting game. I'm sure your comments are going to open a massive can of worms - but I do agree. I'm an NRL supporter - and you don't see that sort of atmosphere at a Raiders game :( Even whey they packed out Canberra stadium in last years semis.

Cheers

Jamie

You can't even compare the level of skill of soccer in Australia to other Countries. The skill simply isn't their. A -league bores me to death but in saying that i did watch the ending and it was spectacular to watch such a come back. I much prefer EPL or Serie A etc...

I'm not a big Rugby Union fan but there is no contest on a sports arena like a Rugby scrum. If you (as a pack) lack either the strength or skill necessary to match your opponents someone could break their neck. I saw it once when one pack was so depleted the Ref called for "uncontested scrums" to prevent serious injury.

Whenever the packs crunch together I am enthralled.

That's great, but what has that got to do with you calling soccer a boring sport cause it's different to union?

By your very words, rugby union is different to all others sports. So what would that say ? about whichever sport you actually may be a fan of :p

I'm not a huge soccer fan, but the A League GF was fantastic. I'm glad Brisbane won, as they were undoubtedly the bestteam all year.

I like most sports, but Rugby Union bores more senseless. Heads down, bums up, whistle. Heads down, bums up, whistle.

Lather, rinse, repeat for 80 minutes.

I'm not a huge soccer fan, but the A League GF was fantastic. I'm glad Brisbane won, as they were undoubtedly the bestteam all year.

I like most sports, but Rugby Union bores more senseless. Heads down, bums up, whistle. Heads down, bums up, whistle.

Lather, rinse, repeat for 80 minutes.

Easiest putdown there is, demeaning a sport, because they are ALL more than a little bit silly don't you think?

Aus V NZ netball is always a good contest

Easiest putdown there is, demeaning a sport, because they are ALL more than a little bit silly don't you think?

Aus V NZ netball is always a good contest

Perhpas the only reason anyone did that was due as a repsonse to your first comment which we felt did the same to soccer ?

It is interesting that in many countries where they have multiple choices of "mainstream" pro sports, soccer rates well down the poularity list. Australia, US, NZ, Ireland, Canada, India etc as examples.

Does this mean that wherever there is a decent choice, soccer struggles?

So you have justified one school-boy response with another. Whatever floats your boat.

What's the matter man ? Have soccer fans, or I upset you ?

You come on a thread where people are excited a obout a game, put it down, get a resonse about it & now you whinge about it...

What's wrong with people -? It's a spoort, some people like it, get over it.. I dont walk past shops that serve ham & Pineapple pizzas and tell them what I think of the taste & therefore the people who eat them.

Back