Thnings are slowing a lot quicker than I thought!

Mate, i'm talking about the eroding effects inflation has on a property value over time.

Mate, it is overcomplicated to me. I am not that bright.

First, can we agree that inflation is no longer worry. You can distrust me but you probably shall trust RBA, Treasury and Government who suddenly started to worry about deflation. They perhaps are better informed than us brought together.

Second. How long you are going to stick to your property? If you buy to sell in 12 months - yes, you should worry about "inflationary erosion".

If you are REAL RE investor, you never going to sell and then your CG over the time is always outperforming inflation.

Personally I am excited about "inflationary erosion" as it erodes my mortgage, thus paying off my properties even when I am on IO loans.

How will restarting the property market save the economy? .

it's mostly from the construction industry using localy produced products. There are also, retailers, real estate agents, banks, surveyers, pest and building inspectors, solicitors, office clerks, it's an army of people really and the government will also collect some money from GST and stamp duty (where applicable)

Urchin,

The property industry (includes buidling new homes) contributes to 35% of the GDP of Australia. And this also translates to follow-on to other part of ththe economy like Harvey Norman spend.

That is why the government is targeting this area.

Successive governments have used this trick everytime the economy slows! It is quicker than buidling infrastructure as this requires planning and approvals.

Cheers
Sash

How will restarting the property market save the economy? I really don't get this. Sure, it is important for the construction industry, it is important for real estate agents, it is important retailers such as Harvey Norman, etc. (you have to furnish your house and when you have just spent hundreds of thousands on a house a $3000 lounge looks positively cheap). And of coruse local governments need high rates and stamp duties in order to balance their budgets.

But otherwise is it not simply a matter of money moving from one set of hands to another? Nothing is produced as a result of the exchange. No service or product emerges out of the transaction.

I agree with you here. But it has a long, long, long time to go before that sort of ratio is achieved. Rents will have to go up significantly, interest rates AND property values will have to decline significantly.

How will restarting the property market save the economy? I really don't get this.

I agree with you here. But it has a long, long, long time to go before that sort of ratio is achieved. Rents will have to go up significantly, interest rates AND property values will have to decline significantly.

This is basics of the Aussie economy. Usually (but not in recent resource bubble years) GDP and "new house commencements" are tied together. If commencements go up, GDP follow it up within 3 months. If commencements go down GDP follows it down within three months.

Property values will no longer decline - forget it. Rents are now rising at the pace of 12% pa in capital cities. Rates will go down to alltime lows before Easter. Is it really long time?

Essence,

I agree, there won't be any selloff.

There is a big property shortage now and lowering interest rates will also put a stop to loan defaults so there will be a natural floor on property prices.

I am monitoring the numbers of listed properties in my suburbs of interest and the listings on a weekly basis are currently going down.

Anyone who believes that property prices will fall is dreaming.

IMHO

Cheers

Thanks BV,

May I also share my observations. I monitor Sydney's North Shore. Before changes to FHOG were announced, properties on average were getting 30 hits a day on realestate.com Yesterday on vacant land hits increased to 300 a day (10 fold), on lower end properties to about 150 a day (5 fold) and on middle-band to 100 a day (3 fold).
So much for property market crash.

IWe certainly won't be getting top US$ for our dirt and therefore some of the more expensive mining could be put on the back burner but the big miners will certainly be making good money.

look at it this way - our dollar has lost 20% against the US$, so the resources market returns can drop up to 20% before it makes an effect on the profit line.

Mate, i'm talking about the eroding effects inflation has on a property value over time.

If it goes nowhere in price for - lets say - 6 years. Its actually losing 4% of its value compounding over that time.

And if it loses any value in real terms (as you suggested) even @ 5% pa then the real loss of value added to inflation can add up BIG time. This is exactly what happened in the 90s.

Of all the risks in finance and investment, the one least mentioned and very real is called 'inflationary risk.'

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/inflationrisk.asp

It can erode your aealth without you noticing. Now, wheres my rock?

isn;t inflation your FRIEND when it comes to property valuations?

i thought inflation worked the other way against property - as in, 5% inflation just made your proerty 5% more expensive to replace, therefore 5% more expensive to purchase, therefore 5% more CG?

strange - i dont really feel things slowing at all. I have been thinking that we are suppose to be in this big recession but nothing seems to have changed.

Sounds like the recipe for a boom, Essence?

Ingredients for this recipe emerging at unbelievable speed. Before August we had tightening bias on interest rates, which stopped the boom from powering ahead. In September we switched to easing bias and now we have "cut and spend like mad" bias.
Till yesterday media was sceptical at best about property, yesterday we have seen the switch to "First home buyers storm market" and "Interest rates head to zero" hype.

It will take a bit of time to point the herd of mammals in the right direction, but this is definitely in progress.

My concern that there is not enough fuel (money) yet to start the property engine, but I think we have seen nothing yet.

For example, I have noticed persistent whingeing in the media about lost super, which tells me that Government is massaging the old Howard/Costello idea of allowing super to be used as a deposit for PPOR.

Essence,

I agree, there won't be any selloff.

There is a big property shortage now and lowering interest rates will also put a stop to loan defaults so there will be a natural floor on property prices.

I am monitoring the numbers of listed properties in my suburbs of interest and the listings on a weekly basis are currently going down.

Anyone who believes that property prices will fall is dreaming.

IMHO

Cheers

Dreaming. I don't think so. Its already started in many suburbs. In some cases prices are off 10% or more.

Which suburbs are you monitoring for listings? From what i'm seeing listings are only increasing

Dreaming. I don't think so. Its already started in many suburbs. In some cases prices are off 10% or more.
Perhaps they seem lower if you are looking at the previous quarter's statistics
but the sign is on the wall, PRICES ARE NOT FALLING FURTER and there will be upwards pressure. Wait a few months and you will see.

Which suburbs are you monitoring for listings? From what i'm seeing listings are only increasing
Don't worry, I am looking at Sydney, but the slight drop could be because vendors are waiting for the market to start moving before they put their properties on the market.
If properties in your area are increasing it's a good thing because you will have more to choose from.
It's still a buyer's market so if you are thinking of buying do it early while the competition is still low.

You're better off waiting until you see a sign of a market turnaround (not a dead cat bounce caused by a one off government grant to stimulate the economy)

You might pay a little bit extra but that's the insurance premium for the safety that you wont buy and the market keeps falling.

This one off economy stimulating package by the government wont turn the property market around. It should only provide a short term spike on the chart thats flat as pancake or falling.

The fundamentals of property wont change.....low yields, historically very high prices, huge personal debt etc

It's still a buyer's market so if you are thinking of buying do it early while the competition is still low.

Evand

Dropping IRs does change the fundamentals of purchasing a PPOR. People don't look at the sticker price they ask "how much can I borrow". With lower IRs that number is much higher.

Ill concede that is setting us up for another probelm down the track but that will be another day.

Dropping IRs does change the fundamentals of purchasing a PPOR. People don't look at the sticker price they ask "how much can I borrow". With lower IRs that number is much higher.

True. Whilst people may look around and decide to wait a bit etc. as investors we analyze the price market much more and in a different way than PPOR'ers do.

The young couple work out how much they've saved, what they can/want to afford with repayments and get a price range. They then go and search for a property they're happy with. Interest rates falling only makes this equation better for them.

They're more focused on things like where to live, what sort of house and all the other fun stuff. Not, 'oh we've got the money, we can buy now, we're getting married in 6 months, but let's wait another 2yrs cos the house prices may fall.'

Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but a vast number of home buyers are more concerned with the life decision of getting a house than debating whether to put off plans and bet on a 20% fall etc.

Back