thoughts on ashfield, sydney

looking to buy a unit in sydney for under 300k
i've identified ashfield as a potential candidate, with it being a well established suburb, with good shopping and access to fast trains into the city
prices have not yet taken off as much as some other inner west suburbs along the same train line.

does anyone have access to sites with future CG predictions for this suburb? or perhaps anyone with their own take on the suburb?

thanks in advance,

j

Hi,
Have not researched Ashfield as an area so definitely take this as opinion only but I live in Croydon, next suburb.

You are spot on about the train line and it's position - v.good access to the city.
I think the main thing holding Ashfield back is the council (very disorganised and lacking direction is what I've gathered from the local paper - someone wants to develop Ashfield Mall but there are problems - might be worth checking if you can find more info.....) and the fact that little has been/is being done to 'gentrify' it. The main shopping strip along Liverpool Rd is shabby.

I personally would look at a smaller block, perhaps 'Art Deco' or similar. There are some nice tree lined streets within walking distance to the station....

Again - I'm new to this game so this is really just my opinion as a resident of the general area for the last 5 yrs...

Cheers!

I actually work at Ashfield. Alot of Chinese people live there. I dont know what is it about Chinese people because wherever they go property prices go BOOM! Maybe you should follow them wherever they go.

Ashfield has arguebly the oldest and ugliest properties in Australia. If someone gives me a bulldozer, I'll flatten Ashfield. But like I said if the Chinese live there then there is probably some great potential for growth. We might have a new project there soon.

Dajackal

It is the most under valued suburb in the Inner West. You are able to buy 2 bedder unit from 250k. And house from 500k.

Good potential over the longer term. :D

I'd think Marrickville is. Hugely undervalued imho.

Dajackal

It is the most under valued suburb in the Inner West. You are able to buy 2 bedder unit from 250k. And house from 500k.

Good potential over the longer term. :D

Being an established surburb.....how much can Ashfield go by?
Yes....maybe a little bit....but as investors you wouldnt make much.
Go for parramatta or medowbank

Ashfield has had an oversupply in units over the last few years.
Agree, the main liverpool rd is shabby, and congested. Just be careful of jay walkers when driving through! :)And yes a strong Asian community.

Ahmad, ugliest properties? are you serious? i don't recall federation and queen victorian type houses ever been called ugly. These style types houses hold there value very well.

Back