Thoughts on Frankston South

Hi

I was wondering if the forum have any thoughts on Frankston South and the best streets in the area.

My wife and I have two young children and currently reside in Coburg. However we are thinking about a change and selling up and moving down the coast as we have always liked the thought of living near the water.

We have also been told that Frankston South is a nice place to live and that the local high school has a really good reputation and was recently given a grant by the state government of 8.5million to improve it further.

The fact that the school has such a good reputation and given that Frankston South has really good access to the peninsula and appears to be reasonably price that it might be a good place to consider.

Any thoughts ?

The Police statistics say that crime in Frankston is lower than that of inner-city Melbourne. The same with drug use. This doesn't stop people living, studying, investing and working in inner-city Melbourne.

The only negative about South Frankston is that getting subdivision approvals is a bit harder than in Frankston and Frankston North. Not a problem unless the OP plans to develop. So back to the topic - yes, Frankston South is lovely, much safer than the inner-city and also close to the beach (if you like that sort of thing).Peoples perceptions about Frankston will eventually change. The future is definitely positive.

To be honest not to concerned about the subdivision issue in Frankston South. As we are looking to buy a potential knock down and then rebuild as if we do move there we have intentions of staying there for a long time.

Grandad are you a resident of Frankston South yourself ?

Frankston South

Moving to an area is a lifestyle decision rather than an investment. However Frankston South is a good area and also suggest you look at Mount Eliza which is just a few minutes up the road.

Not everything is about money if lifestyle is what you are after these areas are fine. A lot of money is going into the areas and growth has been quite good.

Hi

Frankston South itself has a mixture of different pockets and demographics, it is not all nice and rosey but some parts of it is fantastic with magnificent bay views and large acreage style properties.

For instance you could find a property towards Foot Street (not my favourite area to live in but perfect as a rental) or you could find a property in Menzies Close or even Alicudi Avenue that I think you would like to live in.

Some streets you can buy into with a couple hundred thousand dollars and others you will need millions as some properties in Frankston South even have a 3 hole golf course and a 12 car garage.

Either way depending on what part of Frankston South you choose to buy in will determine the amount of exposure you have to the un-desirable crowd.

As a lifestyle choice you can buy in Frankston South and shop at Mt Eliza and you wont see much of the bad problems that Frankston has to offer and you will only venture into the heart of Frankston when you need to buy something that the local supermarket in Mt Eliza doesn't offer for example a bulky goods store or Myers.

The following 2 x web links of different properties for sale in Frankston South should summarise what I have mentioned:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-frankston+south-117200395

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-frankston+south-116534991

If you have any questions about a street in Frankston South feel free to contact me for no frills free feedback on it but please remember I am not a property expert and no property should be purchased based on my feedback.

Regards,

alicudi

Hi

I was wondering if the forum have any thoughts on Frankston South and the best streets in the area.

My wife and I have two young children and currently reside in Coburg. However we are thinking about a change and selling up and moving down the coast as we have always liked the thought of living near the water.

We have also been told that Frankston South is a nice place to live and that the local high school has a really good reputation and was recently given a grant by the state government of 8.5million to improve it further.

The fact that the school has such a good reputation and given that Frankston South has really good access to the peninsula and appears to be reasonably price that it might be a good place to consider.

Any thoughts ?
Frankston South is the better part of Frankston - right near Mt.Eliza, nice leafy streets, bigger blocks, near the good schools and so on.

We nearly bought a vacant block in "Rocklodge Estate" before we bought our PPoR in Drugmana.

The should probably rename it Mt.Eliza North - instant postcode upgrade and house value rise! :D

Don't be put off by any media stuff about Frankston.

Only criticism of Frangers South is it's walking distance to nowhere - drive to shops, beach and so on.

Frankston South is the better part of Frankston - right near Mt.Eliza, nice leafy streets, bigger blocks, near the good schools and so on.

We nearly bought a vacant block in "Rocklodge Estate" before we bought our PPoR in Drugmana.

The should probably rename it Mt.Eliza North - instant postcode upgrade and house value rise! :D

Don't be put off by any media stuff about Frankston.

Only criticism of Frangers South is it's walking distance to nowhere - drive to shops, beach and so on.

Hi Bayview

How are you going?

I love the Rocklodge area, in fact I know of a house for sale in Rocklodge Court right now that I was thinking of going to look at.

What an excellent idea you have by calling the area Mt Eliza North...that's brilliant! Can you please submit that idea to the local council.

I believe that some parts of Frankston South are very handy and within walking distance to the beach, such as all of Nepean Hwy in Frankston South and all the streets between Kars Street and Nepean Hwy Frankston South and those mega exclusive properties in Yamala Drive etc that have beach frontage.

Then there are other parts of Frankston South along Frankston Flinders Road that are across the road from the Towerhill shops, so really it depends exactly where in Frankston South one buys that determines on what they are within walking distance to.

Funny though as my favourite street in Frankston South is within walking distance to nothing!

Regards,

alicudi

To be honest not to concerned about the subdivision issue in Frankston South. As we are looking to buy a potential knock down and then rebuild as if we do move there we have intentions of staying there for a long time.

im a resident of frankston and I must say you have definitely picked an area that is on the up very dramatically. things have changed so much and so much more is happening!!!!

frankston sth is a nice area. having said that. someone was talking about location. if you want to be close to everything central frankston is much better

im a resident of frankston and I must say you have definitely picked an area that is on the up very dramatically. things have changed so much and so much more is happening!!!!

How so?

Supporters of Frankston were going on and on about how underrated and undervalued it was 5 years ago when I bought there. Well guess what, I'm still waiting for it to "boom" like the rest of Melbourne. Luckily I have property elsewhere to make up for Frankstons lack lustre performance! Very disappointing investment - will it catch up some day? Maybe, but gee I'd wish I'd put my money elsewhere 5 years ago. That's the thing with property though, you got to take risks. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Regardless of suburb, paying too much for property usually leads to eventual disappointment.

IMHO the best deals in Frankston are in the cheapest decile of what's for sale. If you want sizzling hot capital gain, chasing overpriced homes with flash kitchens and swimming pools is never a good idea. Buy the cheapest of the cheap - its the only way to ensure guaranteed capital gain. If you look hard enough its still possible to buy brick homes on dual occ blocks in Frankston for less than $300,000.

Obviously, people chasing a PPOR home may well buck the above rules.

To Bludger: 4 years ago, after a few months of hunting, my cousin bought a crappy brick house in Frankston for $195,000. Today its worth around $330,000. Its on a dual occ site BTW. Yields around 5%. Not so bad at all.

How so?

Supporters of Frankston were going on and on about how underrated and undervalued it was 5 years ago when I bought there. Well guess what, I'm still waiting for it to "boom" like the rest of Melbourne. Luckily I have property elsewhere to make up for Frankstons lack lustre performance! Very disappointing investment - will it catch up some day? Maybe, but gee I'd wish I'd put my money elsewhere 5 years ago. That's the thing with property though, you got to take risks. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Seems to me a few impatient peeps here.

Now I'd like to point out that I'm not here to "promote frankston" nor am I spruiker but I do know the area very well and I have lived in the area and surroundings too. so for a member to say im just an investor in frankston is clearly wrong. Also I'd like to point out there are many future benefits in buying in frankston/sth, which im sure people do know about mentioned many times by other members that have done so.

Frankston is up 14%. Yes 14%!!!!! On last year.

That being said with all this apartment development that's about to happen it will ONLY push up house prices in the area.

Apartments push up House prices. hence why a lot of people say "land appreciates, building Depreciate." which is true in itself. and I know for a fact of a lot members will agree with this quote that you see before you.

Last edited:
Hi

The way I looked at the land sliding issues was if you can afford to buy a property in Frankston South that is prone to land sliding well then you can afford to lose that property in a land slide.

The majority of properties that have the issues are built right on the cliff edges and simply by looking at them you can establish that land sliding is always going to be a problem, building on a cliff edge that has been eroding over hundreds of years will do that. They are big dollar properties and some of the newer ones have had to spend up to and over $1million before the concrete slab was even poured just on things like retaining walls and that sort of stuff.

However my problem was not having the $$$'s to buy or build one of these properties so I wont have any issue of land sliding to deal with. The part of Frankston South I will live in will have other issues like burglary, theft, vandalism, drugs, hoons...that sort of stuff to keep me worried!:mad:

Regards,

alicudi

How so?

Maybe you did not but at the right price. I have 2 properties in Frankston 1 bought for 320k 6 years ago in Gould st, renovated it now worth close enough to 1m. The other on 2/3 acre in Frankston south bought for 390k 6 years ago now valued at 850-900k. I don't see these as bad growth figures.

Thanks all for the replies most appreciated.

We currently live in the inner north but are looking to move to an area which offers us a better lifestyle and where we can also provide our children with a good education.

Given what I have read and Frankston Souths proximity to the rest of the peninsula it makes it very attractive. The added bonus is that Frankston High School has a really good reputation.

Although I work in the Melbourne CBD and commute daily by train. It wouldn't bother me that the journey from Frankston South would be longer that what I currently undertake.

I think I would enjoy spending our weekends down there

Back