Three vs Vodafone reception

I am currently a customer of Three. In fact i have used them for nearly 6 years. But eventhough I live in Sydney city, in many areas of the city I cant get a proper signal. So each month I get charged for roaming.

I am on a $49 cap each month, which gives me $300 worth of calls each month, I never use up the $300 worth, but my bill payable will sneak up to $79, or $89. Sometimes over $100. It has become so ridiculous that I have stopped paying bill in protest. I have complained to Three before, and their reply is, "there's nothing we can do. If you see your phone is in roaming, dont use it". But I tell them, I live in the city of Sydney, (in Pyrmont just next to Darling Harbour), and in the area near my office, (also in Pyrmont), in that area the signal for Three is really weak. People will call me and the line will cut off after a few seconds. Also, when people call me, my phone could also be on roaming.

So I complained to the Ombudsman and they confronted Three to make good for me. THe THree representative guy called me, saying he will give me a bit of $ credit to offset the roaming charges that they've been charging me for months. But I tell him, this doesnt fix my future bills. How about each future bill you waive any roaming charges? He refused to do that. And with the Ombudsman harrasing him at the back, he offers me a free cancellation of my current Three contract. But, he says I have to pay them $120 for the iphone which I am paying $10 a month.

His 2nd option for me is, to switch for free to Vodafone network. I have heard from one friend that the Vodaphone network is also shiit in that area, especially in the afternoon when the kids finish school and hoards of them start calling their friends and family, the Vodafone and Three network just gets crowded and you cant make any calls.

Anyone is on Vodafone at the moment? How is it compared to three? Good reception?

Should I switch? My problem is none of my friends are with Vodaphone. so no free calls.

My wife just moved yesterday from 3 to vodafone since her phone stopped working.

I guess ur friends are on 3. Vodafone (V) to V and V to 3 is free unlimited. Regarding reception please try a prepaid sim from vodafone. That is a safer option or go in a 12 month contract. We live near hornsby and have no issues with either 3 or vodafone

Cheers
Steve

I have only been hearing bad things about Vodafone lately (people who live in Sydney) with poor reception and dropouts. The option they were looking at funnily enough was to go to 3, who must have a special deal going back the other way.

I would pay out the $120 and go to Optus or Telstra, whichever could offer the better deal.

I have used both (personal and work phones) for the last 10+ years and have never had any sort of roaming charge while in Australia ...let alone Sydney CBD, that is ridiculous!

Woohoo......don't switch to Vodafone. They and Three are the same company. I can't wait for my contract to expire in a few months and Telstra will get me back as a customer. After hearing of your plight (roaming in Pyrmont.....insane), my dropouts and lack of reception at home look trivial.

Nevertheless, I will not go with anyone but Telstra. Their call costs and data are becoming more sensible. Not as cheap as the cheaper ones however the cheapness ends up costing you in lack of reception and other roaming add-ons.........I have learnt my lesson :cool:

I had no problems at all with 3 when we lived in Lethbridge Park. Moved to St Clair, about 15 minutes away, and I drop out all the time. Really poor reception, but I've never been hit with roaming charges. Although it is a nuisance, it isn't such a big issue for me that I'd bother changing carriers. I don't use the phone enough to be bothered.

I stupidly went with voda about 12 months ago. Cannot wait for my contract to finish. Dropouts all the time, internet doesn't work properly really bad coverage in melb CBD and western 'burbs.

I was with virgin (optus) for 3 years prev to voda. Not an issue at all. Back to virgin I go.

I was with virgin (optus) for 3 years prev to voda. Not an issue at all. Back to virgin I go.

My understanding, and I'm prepared to be told I'm wrong on this, is that there are really only two wholesalers of line coverage in this country - Optus and Telstra. All the others are really just re-sellers - for instance, we are with Virgin, but they sell Optus coverage (if that makes sense?).
We are so annoyed with their dropouts and lack of coverage that we have just started moving the whole lot - home phone, internet and mobiles - over to Telstra.
My theory is that Telstra is still the national carrier, and seems to have coverage where no one else does - Daintree and Freycinet Peninsula being two examples. That might not seem significant, until you're trying to run a business with a mobile phone as a major point of contact.
Telstra's prices seem to have become a lot more competitive recently too. Not sure about trying to get any sense out of their call centres in Manila, but they're not alone with that :rolleyes:.
I'm not sure which 3 would be, but if it's Vodafone, I think they use the Optus network. Which might explain some of your issues. (just my 2 cents ;)).

Vodafone is terrible. I think they use their own network with 3. I have Vodafone internet, inner city, drops out all the time. It's useless. I use virgin for my phone. The odd drop out, but its cheap, uses the optus network and has free unlimited calls virgin to virgin.

the only network with decent coverage even in capital cities in telstra

they suck as a company and they r more expensive but at least the reception is good

would you guys recommend Optus?

I dont like Telstra because in the past i used to have Telstra home phone line and they keep charging me local calls that I never made. Once they even whack me with a long distance call to the UK. I challenged them and said I dont have anyone in the UK to call, but they said its in my records. What can you do against these companies.

I am on a $49 cap each month, which gives me $300 worth of calls each month, I never use up the $300 worth, but my bill payable will sneak up to $79, or $89. Sometimes over $100.

I have complained to Three before, and their reply is, "there's nothing we can do. If you see your phone is in roaming, dont use it". But I tell them, I live in the city of Sydney, (in Pyrmont just next to Darling Harbour), and in the area near my office, (also in Pyrmont), in that area the signal for Three is really weak. People will call me and the line will cut off after a few seconds. Also, when people call me, my phone could also be on roaming

I'm on the same cap, with Three. My bills in total should come to $79 as I also have a mobile broadband connection with them, but my last few bills were at about $200 because of the lack of reception. My broadband is the worst though, sometimes it won't connect at all and I still have to pay for the thing!

They wouldn't let me out of my plan (not even to just pay for the phone, but all the fees for the minimum spend) or offered I go to Vodafone, which I know are just as useless. Can't wait 'til the end of this plan, I'll probably consider Telstra too.

I have no problem paying for what I commit to if I wish to leave a contract early, but if the service that I pay for is not supplied I shouldn't have to.

Woohoo, I was with Optus a few years ago, so I don't know if anything has changed. Aside from their bad customer service line, the reception was not too bad.

I'm on three and have been roaming non stop for the past 18 months as I now live in central west qld. Not sure why you're getting charged to roam? Also Optus/Telstra will be pretty similar for coverage. Both good. In fact here, Optus has greater coverage than Telstra.

I am with Optus for mobile, home, mobile broadband, TV, cable internet........ have been for years and have had almost no problems with reception/ service. (I had a bad time recently trying to get help with mobile broadband... but that was the first problem I've had). Some problems with reception on the gold coast, and not as good as telstra in regional areas.

arent vodafone and 3 the same network? I know lots of people with problems with both.

I'm on the same cap, with Three. My bills in total should come to $79 as I also have a mobile broadband connection with them, but my last few bills were at about $200 because of the lack of reception. My broadband is the worst though, sometimes it won't connect at all and I still have to pay for the thing!

They wouldn't let me out of my plan (not even to just pay for the phone, but all the fees for the minimum spend) or offered I go to Vodafone, which I know are just as useless. Can't wait 'til the end of this plan, I'll probably consider Telstra too.

I have no problem paying for what I commit to if I wish to leave a contract early, but if the service that I pay for is not supplied I shouldn't have to.

Woohoo, I was with Optus a few years ago, so I don't know if anything has changed. Aside from their bad customer service line, the reception was not too bad.

Hi, for those of you with problem with Three reception and going on roaming and get charged roaming, I advise you to go to the Telecommunications Ombudsman and lodge a complain.

I've been complaining to Three for many months, they took me for granted and didnt want to do anything. In the end, I told the Ombudsman and they were on Three's back and Three's representative had to call me up to give me a resolution. He agreed to let me cancel my contract and go for free (but have to either pay the remainding owing on the phone set, or send the phone back to them). I am gonna send that phone back to them and switch to Optus.

Also, I demanded that the roaming charges are waived for the past few months, and they gave me an offer to credit my account.

I told them that "Is this a scam Three is running, charging people living in the city for roaming cost? If this is the case, I would say your marketing and advertising is very misleading if you do not pre-inform the consumer about how crap your reception is! Do you want to get sued or do you want me to go to a internet chat forum to inform thousands of australians about how bad your reception is and how you're ripping me off each month?"

UPDATE:

3 has agreed to let me cancel my phone plan with them for free, and all i have to do is send the phone back to them. Initially they wanted me to pay off the remainder of the phone, but I refused that.

Also, i am able to port my number to another carrier, no fees.

So for all of you who are having reception problem with 3 or Voda, complain to the ombudsman is the first step to start this process. Then make a big fuss about how 3 or VOda is ripping you off with roaming charges each month. THey will start with their proposal for you to switch to 3 or Voda, but you should refuse that too, since we know each of them are sending dissatisfied customers the other way.

Woohoo

I'm looking forward to ending my relationship with Vodafone in a few months when my current 24-month contract ends, it's been 4 years too many. Especially horrible the last 18-months or so in Canberra.

I think I'll give Telstra a go, consistantly poor coverage from Vodafone is not acceptable to save a few $ a month.

I'm on three and have been roaming non stop for the past 18 months as I now live in central west qld. Not sure why you're getting charged to roam? Also Optus/Telstra will be pretty similar for coverage. Both good. In fact here, Optus has greater coverage than Telstra.

That's what I thought. My daughter is in Ayers Rock and she pays no difference from when she lived in Sydney.

We ring each other regularly for free.
I've never had a problem with reception anywhere and their service has been wonderful.

Back