Thriving on Minimum Wage

Ok so our minimum wage is $15.51, plus holidays, sickies, super and anything else so probably looking at about $22.00 per hour for an employer to hire an adult worker, not cheap is it !

Edit : Boy that is a battle to get a figure, obviously designed by a bureaucrat, the rate for a basic casual adult checkout person is $21.24 ph. I imagine that you would get super on that once you go past the minumum monthly earnings

I worked with a guy who had a number of units, then himself and his girlfriend lived in a unit owned by his mother which gave her long term tenants who paid well and caused no issues

He used "The Quokka" to advertise his units and self-managed the properties, he also ran a business doing high pressure cleaning from the back of his ute cleaning everthing from windows to driveways

He also had alternate investments such as gold and specific perth mint coins

From memory he had 7-8 units in one complex and 3-4 in another, some units were purchased around $60 -80k, he was well on his way to being a millionaire back in early 2000 and I can only imagine what happened when Perth hit the 2006 boom, I last saw a unit in the complex for sale at around $360k

10 units at $100k cap growth equals an esay $1M, however, he was doing better than that

Harking back to the fact that Kathryn had several replies to her Gumtree advert I just want to share my frustration with that site.

I have had an item listed for $50, large and bulky, had a few people email me but the only one who actually went further than "i want it call me on xxxxxxxxxx" was someone who wanted me to take over her organising of a courier to get it to Townsville. I took it on because she sounded desparate, but it was mad so I said "sorry this is too much hard work for $50". She didn't bother doing it herself so I listed it again at $50, then down to $30.

Two nights ago I put it up for free. Got six emails within half an hour and then took the advert down. NONE of those people have bothered calling the number I provided. All of them "really, really want it, can I come right now, I'm in the area, please, please, please..."

First one I sent our number and gave a 5pm deadline to. Whole day... nothing.

Next one I gave until 8pm. Nothing.

Next one I gave until this morning, by email and text. Nothing.

I've listed it again at $20 really just to see how much interest it gets at "almost" free. Tonight it goes on the footpath.

It is not mine, or I would have put it on the footpath weeks ago, but I have the blessing of the owner now to do that.

Gumtree is great, but it really is a tyre kicker's heaven.

I secured my next rental on gumtree. Lease break unit.

Meant I didn't have to fight for an inspection. First one in, liked it, paid money. All good.

We've had success from Gumtree finding tenants, but have also had our advert hijacked and at least one person lost money over it through their own naiveté.

I just know that there will be tyre-kickers. It gets tiresome.

Since the item relisted at $20 dead silence *sound of crickets*.

We have used Gumtree with success.
We wanted free plant pots, for growing a veggie garden last year.
A woman contacted us, and we picked up 30 pots.
Great for her, and great for us.

After we had too much compost left, we put an ad on gumtree, trying to sell the excess. No takers. We were at Sam's and someone was buying bags of potting mix. We gave him our address, and said he could have it all for $10. He came and picked it up the next day.
He was happy, we were happy.
Sometimes, you just need to do more than one thing. (advertise in more than one place)

It is like anything.
Sometimes, you need to put a lot of effort in, and other times they are falling out of the sky.

I haven't used Gumtree, but I have used Ebay.

I have listed stuff (skates) that are absolute garbage and they have walked out the door at nearly new prices. I have listed new stuff that sits there for ever. The mind boggles sometimes at what others perceive as value.

I can list something that nobody wants one week, relist it the next and have a huge amount of bids taking it to stupid prices.:confused:

Evaporative air cooler. Almost as useless as a big TV :D.

And most electrical (if not all) cannot be used at Vinnies (?) some op shops....something about they need to be certified by an electrician.(I read this somewhere)

Here, in the local thrift shop, there was an electric heater..and they gave it to the person asking how much it cost.

Back