Thriving on Minimum Wage

Being able to take a job like this depends on your circumstances. In my own situation, childcare options limited my working to a standard Mon-Fri 40 hr week... in which case, having a boarder was the easiest and best option and worked well for me.

Other options may suit other people - we are all different.

Of course, they were examples of some of the other jobs that people can choose to move to, but not an exhaustive list of jobs. I think many of us just put up other alternatives cause we found the hard & fast rules too tough to do, or at least a bit harder to do for most people than doing a couple of extra shifts etc for some people.

Being able to take a job like this depends on your circumstances. In my own situation, childcare options limited my working to a standard Mon-Fri 40 hr week... in which case, having a boarder was the easiest and best option and worked well for me.

Other options may suit other people - we are all different.

Exactly my point! Once again, for those that didn't hear it.

WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT!

We have different qualifications and circumstances. Even physical traits make a difference in what kind of work you can do. I mean, how many 50kg female brickies labourers are there?

There is nothing wrong with taking in boarders, the same as there is nothing wrong with a second job. People need to look within themselves and do what works for them in their personal circumstances.

WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT!

We have different qualifications and circumstances. Even physical traits make a difference in what kind of work you can do. I mean, how many 50kg female brickies labourers are there?

There is nothing wrong with taking in boarders, the same as there is nothing wrong with a second job. People need to look within themselves and do what works for them in their personal circumstances.

I think you will find, if you do actually read the posts, that no one said that there was anything wrong with taking in boarders.

Almostbob "suggested" everyone who didn't like the method presented by kathryn for reasons they explained, called her method "impossible".

Again, if you do actually read the thread, you will find the only person who used the word impossible was Almostbob (and me when I replied saying no one actually said that.

Anyway, best of luck to those who really need it

WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT!

We have different qualifications and circumstances. Even physical traits make a difference in what kind of work you can do. I mean, how many 50kg female brickies labourers are there?There is nothing wrong with taking in boarders, the same as there is nothing wrong with a second job. People need to look within themselves and do what works for them in their personal circumstances.

This is being silly and is ignoring my other suggestions, I did have those roadworks stop/go people in there, Id suggest close to 40% are females now and most of the work is done when council workers work, those who want extra $$ work weekends

I think it would be good it we remembered that people have different ideas, opinions, goals and priorities.

If someone wants to live like a pauper so they don't need to work, fine by me. But it's not how I choose to live my life.

There is nothing wrong with taking in boarders,

skater, no one was saying that there was anything wrong with taking in boarders. People were questioning Kathryn's NUMBERS. As I stated in one of my posts, based on actual experience, there is virtually zero chance of getting anyone to board at the amounts Kathryn was suggesting.

Not only that, but again, speaking from personal experience, getting boarders and doing everything around the house as required by what Kathryn was suggesting AND holding a full time job is nigh on impossible. As I said in one of my posts, my ex's mum did what Kathryn suggests doing - and it was a full time job in itself. Doing this PLUS holding down a full time job is doable... only if you don't actually sleep (literally) and your job is night shift, when all your boarders are asleep.

You can wax lyrical about being disgusted with peoples' attitudes and what not, but as someone who has been there, done that, it can't be done - at the level Kathryn suggests - by a normal human being. It just can't.

Agree Mark.

Even I, who didn't believe the numbers would work 'in many places', and at best thought it wasn't 'such a great money spinner', also happened to say it was a no brainer for those buying a house to get a boarder in to help pay the mortgage.

Much the same with the $25 shopping. Yes it can be done (I'm sure it can be done for $15) but no it's NOT much like what everyone else eats but pays more for, regardless of what K says.

If you're going to give figures/projections and make statements that people are going to disagree with based on experiences and facts people know to be correct, then you've got to be prepared for a response.

I don't know why that's so wrong in this particular thread.

The reason I got so disgusted is because you making the thread about me.
This is not my life story.
I have never taken in boarders.
I do not live on $25 week groceries.
I do not reuse toilet paper.

This story was about a HYPOTHETICAL minimum wage earner.

You don't like my numbers (or the ratios) too bad.
I still stand behind them.
Just because you wouldn't be willing to do what it takes to get ahead in life, doesn't mean there isn't someone else who is.

Looking after boarders, consisted of washing/sweeping the floor in the kitchen and bathroom. Possibly wiping off countertops and wiping out sinks/bathtubs.

It's funny. How many times have we heard on SS, how young people are not willing to sacrifice in their early years. Yet, if someone was to actually do it, look at the abuse/ridicule you are willing direct towards them, for doing exactly that.

You keep saying it is fine to take in a boarder to help pay the mortgage.(first they need to qualify for a mortgage) Without being aggressive or creative in acquiring the downpayment,
explain how many years that person, on minimum wage, is going to need to save, while paying rent, having a car, mobile phone,entertainment budget, take away food,unrestricted grocery budget. Then combine that with property prices could rise faster than they can save, for a deposit.

As stated many times, taking in boarders, was only 1 option.

I no longer have any financial worries.
What I do need is challenges.
Yes Jaycee, helping people does make me feel better.
I used to make fun and ridicule people when they said "they couldn't".
I now focus on ways to show them they can.

The best part is, I have encouraged someone.
It is not exactly as written, but they are adapting it to their situation.

Thank you for the nice posts Skater.

Just because you wouldn't be willing to do what it takes to get ahead in life, doesn't mean there isn't someone else who is[/B]

Looking after boarders, consisted of washing/sweeping the floor in the kitchen and bathroom. Possibly wiping off countertops and wiping out sinks/bathtubs.

It's funny. How many times have we heard on SS, how young people are not willing to sacrifice in their early years. Yet, if someone was to actually do it, look at the abuse/ridicule you are willing direct towards them, for doing exactly that.

You keep saying it is fine to take in a boarder to help pay the mortgage.(first they need to qualify for a mortgage) Without being aggressive or creative in acquiring the downpayment,
explain how many years that person, on minimum wage, is going to need to save, while paying rent, having a car, mobile phone,entertainment budget, take away food,unrestricted grocery budget. Then combine that with property prices could rise faster than they can save, for a deposit.

And that's why we were so surprised that myou ghot so offended *And offensive ?!) when we said, yoeah it might soudn good in theory but not actually be able to be pulled off exactly like you said - meaning, that the savings you suggeted woudl not be ahceived - m,eaning it would take longer mthan you suggested to "get there"...

Then I think bob same and told us what he tought of us and suggested that you guys have already done THIS :confused: so how dare we call it impossible :confused:

he also RIDICULED the idea of someone getting a better paying job instead when some suggested it as an alternative way of achieving the same thing, by saying this thread was about minimum wage earners not anyone else :confused:

Just because you wouldn't be willing to do what it takes to get ahead in life, doesn't mean there isn't someone else who is.

this is what we've been saying

Your written list we don't agree with cause it';s probably not accurate

Jaycee,
I can't/won't try to control what Rob aka AlmostBob writes.

I will leave it at that.

Whether anyone agrees with the list,
that is up to them to decide.

I still stand by my numbers..or at least the ratios of rent paid/rent collected

Jaycee,
I can't/won't try to control what Rob aka AlmostBob writes.

I will leave it at that.

Whether anyone agrees with the list,
that is up to them to decide.

I still stand by my numbers..or at least the ratios of rent paid/rent collected

And all we did is disagree & discuss with your numbers

I've said it's hot today and people have disagreed with me cause they thought it was just warm...

What's the big deal ?

You did not even realise, therefore could not take into account, by your own admission, that something like a simple get, get not skills required job at PIZZA HUT pays more than minim um wage.

Yet you adamantly stuck to your way is better than getting earning more money via a job (without explaining why, even though everyone who proposed an alternative to your suggestion did).

Being a discussion thread, that caused people to discuss what you said...

How dare they do that?! It's an outrage! Someone turn on the bat signal!

Anyway in all seriousness, if you just wrote "hypothetically" before you said something in a discussion thread, perhaps people wouldn't get so miffed. :rolleyes:

And all we did is disagree & discuss with your numbers

I've said it's hot today and people have disagreed with me cause they thought it was just warm...

What's the big deal ?

You did not even realise, therefore could not take into account, by your own admission, that something like a simple get, get not skills required job at PIZZA HUT pays more than minim um wage.

Yet you adamantly stuck to your way is better than getting earning more money via a job (without explaining why, even though everyone who proposed an alternative to your suggestion did).

I requested on more than one occassion of a job that pays minimum wage, and no one provided me one.
In Canada, PH is a minimum wage job.

Geez what a crap-fight..

I'll chime in with some more info.

Earned $400p/w, lived with GF's parents, we drifted wayyy apart and still stayed together for a few more years cause she didn't have a car and I hung around. Paid $50p.w rent. We broke it off, I moved in with a mate paying $120p/w (still good) by that time I already had one place, bought the second at mates place, bought third there too, then met my now wife, rented at $440p/w for a year or so, moved into that place, bought another one, and so on. You only really need sacrifice once, but the more you do it, the faster yo can break into the next property ofcourse. Especially if you land a high paying job, things will probably move quicker and I'd bet you'd get more tax back too.

Can you buy property on a minimum wage? Only if you want to, yes.

Back