time between inspections

Another one of those quick questions. :)

Just out of curiosity I was wondering what would happen if at an inspection one room couldn't be entered for one reason or another, usually because someone was sleeping in there. Would the PM be allowed to come back another time to check out that particular room, say in a few days, or would they have to leave it until the next allowable inspection date?

Umhh, over 150 views and no replies. No one knows? Neither do I, no mention of such a scenario on the RTA website, not that I could see anyway.

We have actually had this happen in the past. No big problem in the grand scheme of things and at the time I never even thought to ask the PM whether or not it was followed up, just assumed it would be checked out at the next inspection, which of course was at least three months later, and by that time I had probably forgotten all about it.

Once again, it's only something I was thinking about, not a problem for us at the moment but it occurred to me that if this happened a couple of times in succession (especially if the tenants were only on six monthly inspections) it could mean more than 12 months going by with a part of the premises not inspected.

I guess one could always just not renew the lease, and then break into the locked room to have a squiz. That's what we had to do. Everything was fine, no problems, they had just changed the lock on the bedroom door to one that locked with a key (on the outside) and taken the key away with them. Actually that happened twice with two different tenants. Very strange.

Yep, that's what was ticking over in my mind too, drug lab. Geez I wouldn't have even given that a thought way back when we first started on this IP merry-go-round.

When we had the 'locked room' thing happening we had shift workers in the place, so didn't really even question it. We were new to the whole thing too so were a bit too soft and trusting.

Throw in a couple of 'difficult' tenants who know all the rules and you toughen up pretty quickly. We were discussing it yesterday and decided we wouldn't give too much leeway these days, back in the room in a reasonable time or chuck 'em out - but - is it legal to do that? That's the question.

Arrange an inspection with the correct notification advising the tenant that all areas to be inspected.

If the tenant is asleep so what. Switch on a light.

no inspections are very scary.

we do between 2 and 4 but most get 3.

the good tenants that look after the property like its there own we do 2 per year the ones we need to keep an eye on 4 and the rest 3.

but never none. and always with photos.

We have been tenants in our current rental for 14 months. No inspections, no rent increases, no correspondence from agent, have heard absolutely nothing from them. Some agents are definitely lazy...

We have been tenants in our current rental for 14 months. No inspections, no rent increases, no correspondence from agent, have heard absolutely nothing from them. Some agents are definitely lazy...

Time for a new agent me thinks? Otherwise it isn't just the agent being lazy!

14 months is a long time to not even hear from the agent. One would expect a lease renewal request at least, unless of course you have a two or three year lease.

I guess one could always just not renew the lease, and then break into the locked room to have a squiz. That's what we had to do. Everything was fine, no problems, they had just changed the lock on the bedroom door to one that locked with a key (on the outside) and taken the key away with them. Actually that happened twice with two different tenants. Very strange.

Legally, the agent cannot enter the property again for a 'routine inspection'.

If I had done the inspection, I would have demanded access to the room. If it's locked with a key, then the agent should have a key. If it's not supposed to have a key locking bedroom door, then the tenants have modified it, and should be breached. They then have 7 days to rectify the breach, and you can re-inspect after the 7 days is up. That's how you get around the inspection time frame rules.

It's very common for tenants to try and refuse entry to certain rooms in a house due to tenants sleeping etc. The agent shouldn't be falling for this, as the tenants have had 7 days notice and they should be awake. I have no qualms doing inspections with sleeping tenants, and many of my owners get photos of rooms with people in beds.

Matt

One would expect a lease renewal request at least, unless of course you have a two or three year lease.

6 month lease which expired 8 months ago. We had never dealt with this RE before this property so had no history with them either, they're just lazy

Thanks for that Matt, good to know for the future, in case it ever happens again.

Mogar ... Yep, sounds like they are asleep at the wheel. Let's hope you never need an urgent maintenance request carried out.

Back