Tips for women in a FIFO role...

I have an opportunity of landing a 8 day on, 6 day off position at one of the mining sites in the Pilbara. I've never even considered the possibility of this kind of role and to be honest I'm not sure what to expect.

Are there any women out there that FIFO or wives and can give me a heads up on what to expect? The role is office based working in the finance sector.

Cheers
Ems

Sent a PM to natmarie as I believe this is the work situation she is in. (Not sure why her job is, but I'm fair sure she is in the mines in WA???)

Ems, also contact Of The Vultures. She does FIFO from Tassie to WA

If you have a good back2back person - ie they do actual work on their swing and don't leave it all for you - it can be an awesome opportunity.

Our daughter is a Human Resource manager with Rio Tinto, who does the FIFO scenario. She says, while the money is good, at times the isolation from family and friends is quite distressing. She now has a small network of friends with similar goals, and that is to get the money while it is on offer. She has a 5 year plan in place and is now 2 yrs into it. Obviously the workplace is male oriented, but she has commented that most are there for the same reason.

I have an opportunity of landing a 8 day on, 6 day off position at one of the mining sites in the Pilbara. I've never even considered the possibility of this kind of role and to be honest I'm not sure what to expect.

Are there any women out there that FIFO or wives and can give me a heads up on what to expect? The role is office based working in the finance sector.

Cheers
Ems

Heat
Flies
Heat
Flies
Dust

As you venture from one air-conditioner to the next :D

Actually, there's a list here on Starting FIFO? Here's what to pack

12 hour days can be hard, if you're not used to it.

I personally didn't like doing FIFO - I spent the time onsite looking forward to the days off. It was like I had sold half my life to a company for money - atleast normal work I can do things in the evening & have a life on the days I work.

As for female specific advice, it will depend heavily on if you have a family back home, single, ect. Be prepared for the high male/femal ratio.

Theres a lot less women on sites for sure but i think the gap is narrowing. the site I'm at is a camp of 1500 for the FMG mines. maybe 75 % male 25 % female. Its actually not as bad as most people think, of course you get your thugs and all that stuff but theres a lot of people up here that are pretty normal haha, just people trying to get ahead and suppert there families etc. and i think as time goes on mining companies really focus on making it a more welcoming environment for everyone.

I do 2 weeks on 1 week off, the last few days and first few take its toll but generally it goes pretty quick. 8 and 6 you will be laughing!!

Send me a PM if you have any questions I've been doing FIFO a couple of years now so might be able to help ya!

cheers
blair

ems, I don't know what you do for a living, but if you're able to off-site contract, then don't waste your time going on-site. Work off-site as a contractor and take advantage of the internet.

Be prepared. ....

Good laugh. Summer can be worse, swear standing in a sauna when outside.

Ems,
Wide range of site conditions depending on location. Some places I didn't mind, others glad to get the hell out of. Construction ie 2x3m donga vs permanent accommodation. Office work is at least air conditioned. I've worked with a few imports, ie Irish etc and its not the first time one has keeled over in a faint outside.

From my understanding most of the FIFO 8/6 schedules have all accommodation costs, maintenance etc taken care of for them.

As a guy I would say being a woman is less of an issue these days. Yes you will be a point of interest especially if on a high% male site, we get sick of looking at each others ugly mugs. However these days most realise a single out of order comment or action will get them on next plane out.
I've only really ever seen one person overstep bounds he was thrown out the wet mess and offsite next morning.

Personally if the pay is appropriate go for it. Spend a few years doing it and make some savings. You will have 4-6 days straight with significant other.
Young children then perhaps not.

If site happens to be seaport related, I have been to most in WA.

Good laugh. Summer can be worse, swear standing in a sauna when outside.

Ems,
Wide range of site conditions depending on location. Some places I didn't mind, others glad to get the hell out of. Construction ie 2x3m donga vs permanent accommodation. Office work is at least air conditioned. I've worked with a few imports, ie Irish etc and its not the first time one has keeled over in a faint outside.

From my understanding most of the FIFO 8/6 schedules have all accommodation costs, maintenance etc taken care of for them.

As a guy I would say being a woman is less of an issue these days. Yes you will be a point of interest especially if on a high% male site, we get sick of looking at each others ugly mugs. However these days most realise a single out of order comment or action will get them on next plane out.
I've only really ever seen one person overstep bounds he was thrown out the wet mess and offsite next morning.

Personally if the pay is appropriate go for it. Spend a few years doing it and make some savings. You will have 4-6 days straight with significant other.
Young children then perhaps not.

If site happens to be seaport related, I have been to most in WA.

Thanks for the info :)

Married but no children and I hear the 8 on 6 off is pretty cushy..

In regards to the roster do you normally travel to and from site in your own time..i.e during your time off or is that factored into the working time?

Back