Tips for women in a FIFO role...

Thanks for the info :)

Married but no children and I hear the 8 on 6 off is pretty cushy..

In regards to the roster do you normally travel to and from site in your own time..i.e during your time off or is that factored into the working time?

I think on most 8/6 it's fly in your time which for some airports can be disastrous. ie fly to Perth, fly to Brissie then get to GC. If you can't get the flights to line up then it can be 24hrs of travelling each way.

I think on most 8/6 it's fly in your time which for some airports can be disastrous. ie fly to Perth, fly to Brissie then get to GC. If you can't get the flights to line up then it can be 24hrs of travelling each way.

Thought so! I'm actually in Perth so not too bad.

I have been on both ends of the deal, some jobs have been fly on work days (before/after shift), which can mean a killer long day.
Other jobs have been fly in/out on separate day to shift. Which sometimes means an entire day wasted ie fly up at 10am as only flight "available".

I've always had travel time paid (from Perth airport onwards), but I know its not with every employer.

I do FIFO from Kazakhstan on 28/28. I fly unpaid in my own time. So lose 5days a hitch.
I manage this by not returning to Australia and traveling the world. My flights are pretty well fully paid for.

I've seen both, but if you are doing short rotations losing a couple of days each way can be terrible.

If you have don't FIFO and are married. I wish you all the best. I know for some families it works very well. But I think for most it makes things very difficult, especially if you are not used to long periods of separation. FIFO is hard on relationships.

Blacky.

Just an update! I've decided to take a role at Leightons but not FIFO, it's Perth based. Money isn't as good but I would rather go home to the hubby every night! Awwww!! ;)

Thanks for everyones thoughts and views! :)

Ems

Just an update! I've decided to take a role at Leightons but not FIFO, it's Perth based. Money isn't as good but I would rather go home to the hubby every night! Awwww!! ;)

Thanks for everyones thoughts and views! :)

Ems

Love is priceless :) Yay for the new job and being able to go home every night.

Ahh I only just came across this post but I hope you got my pm the other day and it was of some use.

For anyone else interested, I do 8:6 from Tassie to the Pilbara. Flights to/from Perth/site are on company time and the rest is on my time which takes about 15 hours each way. A lot of sitting around at airports.

As for women on site, as has been said, yes there's a gender imbalance but to be honest it's not something I even notice any more. There are a few "lifers" around but a lot of people are here to earn as much as they can in a short timeframe and then go back to a more normal lifestyle.

FIFO works for my family (for now) and I have a young son at home so it's not easy sometimes but we make it work. It doesn't work for a lot of people and I would say think about it really hard if you have a family before you jump into this. The golden handcuffs make it incredibly hard to leave for many, and that can cost you dearly in other ways.

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hack/stories/s3481427.htm

Listen to this.. twice. Exactly how it is being FIFO. So so so glad to be home for good!

Interesting listening. In general I agree. It is very hard on relationships. Family, friends, and mates. It certainly isn't for everyone. however, if it works for you it really is a wonderful lifestyle.

In my case earning a bucketload and having the best part of 6months a year holidays is fantastic. The hardest part of my life is trying not to spend too much money. I get to travel to world, save money and work occasionally. I call it semi-retirement.

However, if its not for you, its not for you. It wouldn't matter how much cash was on offer, if its not for you it isn't worth squat. If my position was different (i.e. if I had family/kids) I can't imagine how hard it would be mentally. I also can't imagine how hard it would be on the family, to carry on with a normal life while this guy (aka dad) randomly drops in for a week here or there, usually in a bad mood.

Each to their own. I like it so much I struggle to see myself going back to a 'normal' life.

Blacky

Back