Tips to neg reno with body corporate

Hi All,
I'm not new to the forum as I have been reading for quite some time now, saying this, this is my very first post here.

I'm after some tips to get my reno plan accepted by the body corporate.

I ve just bought a unit, tenanted, with the idea to live there once the agreement finishes.

A really small bedroom has a common wall with a big laundry. This laundry has then a small wall common with what is being used as a cupboard.

My idea:
Remove the built ins
Remove a small section of the wall where the built in was
Remove a small section of the wall to open a door for what will become the second bathroom (previously the laundry)
Close a small portion of the laundry for what will become the new built ins
Move the laundry and if possible the water system into the cupboard

Few people told me that I should start by:
- Introducing my self as the new owner and tell that I may renovate in the future
- Call an extraordinary meeting, as less owners are likely to join
- ...??

Thanks !

Personally for something that small, I wouldn't bother. Its not a huge value add in comparison to the things that need to be dealt with.

Stick with a cosmetic reno, kitchen, bathroom (keep things in the same location), paint, floors, door handles etc.

I don't think creating a new bathroom / toilet will be easy due to plumbing.

Thanks both,

Very usefull links Propertunity indeed. Learnt a lot.

Thanks also neK for this. I'm not really renovating to add value but also to gain some space. It would be good to live in there as it is but would be nice if I could add space with these reno.

The best way to have your reno approved is to have detailed plans drawn up and present these to the body corporate for approval at a meeting.

You will have to show how any alterations will affect other units, i.e., removal or re-routing of drainage etc. If you are adding a second bathroom, this will affect sewerage and water piping and existing plumbing lines.

You will be responsible for all costs, and full maintenance for any issues that arise in the future to any work you have done. Forever.

This responsibility will pass on to any future purchaser of the unit, which may affect resale value.

We owned a unit in a complex where an owner altered part of the unit. These were the conditions of approval, so I would expect most body corporates to be similar.
Marg

Back