Title deeds, where do the old ones go?

Just curious, when you purchase a property what is the vendor suppose to do with the title? Do they give it back to the titles office? If so can you request to view the archives, just thought it would be intresting to see the original title of my property and each subsequent one.

If you have bought it unmortgaged the title will come to you, if mortgaged the lender will have it. The titles office will have the origonal.

Yes i have the title but its not exactly what i expected its just a certificate showing ownership, do previous owners of the property give these title certifcates back to the titles office? If so are they destroyed or archived?
Im just curious...

Usually you can get the old type title as well as the new version, I have had them supplied with the new ones, and they often have some interesting history.

You could ask your solicitor or maybe the titles office.

For Torrens Title properties (99.9%), the title is not a physical certificate any more; it is just a record in the Titles Office register.

The certificate you got is just an official notification of the information the Titles Office holds about the property. As long as your name is there, you don't need to look after the actual certificate yourself.

The paper you get is only a certified copy; the originals always stay with the Land Titles office. Except if you lose that certified copy then you have to advertise etc before you can get another copy. Goodness knows why...

Back