Tizzy's duplex development

that seven months from today, I will have paying tenants in our two new builds. Slabs get poured today so I'm quietly confident that progress will be swift from now on after a long year of slow progress with govvie red tape where seemingly nothing happening. :)

Same topic different thread eh ?

I gues you're excited ( like that big bloke in Qld used to say before he died...)

"I'm excited" ...Big Kev

kp

that seven months from today, I will have paying tenants in our two new builds. Slabs get poured today so I'm quietly confident that progress will be swift from now on after a long year of slow progress with govvie red tape where seemingly nothing happening. :)
Tizzy...

regarding the title of the thread- I wouldn't be making a public wee thing :(

Och why not?? Least you looked .

:D

Went and put my initials in the wet cement tonight . I didn't know that footings went down deeper than slabs. I thought slabs of concrete were just that, slabs of concrete!! I had no idea they were thicker at the edges because of the footings. They actually pour the slab in the morning.

Yes I'm excited :D

Good on you Dizzy,
Its always exciting building from the ground up.
Your wealth increases as the construction rises from the ground too.

After an initial start in 2001 with one property which we demolished and built into two, we are now planning to build at least 30 this year.

Its still exciting ....

kp

Hi Tizzy,

I am so excited for you! coz you are excited. Wished I could get that excitement back...instead, I can't even be bothered to go on site. I don't usually go until frame stage and then again once it's enclosed or if I need the tradies to do extra work after handover..

I actually received a call today to say that site works will commened on Tuesday morning. I am suppose to go to site, I don't know what for? I won't be going.

JaseH has never even seen his property yet....that's quite amazing.

Congrats Tizzy. I'd be over the moon if I were you. I like to visit my reno work site every day...just love seeing each little piece of progress...take a few more phots...ask a million dumb questions of the tradies...learn a bit more each day....give the lads a pat on the back for a great job. I also think the tradies get a fair amount of negative feedback and will do better work if they think their efforts are appreciated...and I genuinely appreciate the jobs they are doing for me.

Congrats Tizzy. I'd be over the moon if I were you. I like to visit my reno work site every day...just love seeing each little piece of progress...take a few more phots...ask a million dumb questions of the tradies...learn a bit more each day....give the lads a pat on the back for a great job. I also think the tradies get a fair amount of negative feedback and will do better work if they think their efforts are appreciated...and I genuinely appreciate the jobs they are doing for me.

I always thought it was the opposite. Which is why I try not to visit the site frequently as I think they will get annoyed? thought they work better on their own? I mean who likes their boss hovering over them at work? kinda thing.

I don't buy beer but I have bought lunch, coffee etc I think it's wasted efforts coz when I went back later, they hadn't even been touched.

I'm with sailor.
Show them you're interested in their work, treat them as persons and with some respect, and watch their faces light up with a smile.
Makes my day everytime.

My tiler in Perth enquired about buying in Karratha, we helped him get set, he just sold for a $156k gain on vacant land so he is definitely smiling.

Great karma points all around.

kp

I'm with sailor.
Show them you're interested in their work, treat them as persons and with some respect, and watch their faces light up with a smile.
Makes my day everytime.

No need for all that. PAY THEM RIGHT AWAY. Thats the trick and you'll get great service when you use them again. Tradies are sick of people paying late. Plus, your time (mine anyway) is far too valuable. I'd rather be out looking for deals.

Cheers :)

Oscar

I don't buy beer but I have bought lunch, coffee etc I think it's wasted efforts coz when I went back later, they hadn't even been touched.

Great idea to give them something as a token of appreciation. You'll probably get a better and faster job.

Have you thought of movie tickets of something?

Movie tickets ????
What have you got on site ???? girlie men or tradies.....
Carton of beer seems to work pretty well.
End of the day and stay back and have a yarn with them.

And as a tradie .... its a genuine gesture on my part, not a bribe.

kp

They've already started a bit of a rubbish dump. I must have counted ten choc milk and iced coffee cartons!! I dont think they drink beer, they're into milk :)

The same builders will begin building 2 more houses on the opposite side of the road next week. They'll probably schedule most of the trades at the same time. I'll have to figure out how to upload a photo or two into the gallery to show how it goes up.

Tizzy, I wonder if different types of tradies drink different stuff. My house lifters drink soft drink on the job. But they all drink rum and beer after work. I'll be checking out the plumbers tomorrow to see what their fav beverage is!:D

hahaha, only just read this . I think we'll definately be dropping beer off!! We just got back to Perth after a long weekend away and visited the building site on the way home and now have two beautiful cement slabs and all the windows have been delivered as well. Black metal framed windows for one house and white frames for the other. I guess the bricks will get delivered soon and they'll load the slab. Anyone know why the cement is lower and rougher in the laundry and bathroom areas??

I need to find a limestone retaining wall builder. Both houses are high off the road and the front yards will need retaining.

G'day Tizzy,
Anyone know why the cement is lower and rougher in the laundry and bathroom areas??
Lower - sure - so that any leaks don't make it to the rest of the house.

Rougher - not sure, but maybe these are the only tiled areas, and a rougher texture allows a better bonding (but I could be wrong)

Regards,

Thanks Les

Stopping water flowing the wrong way does make sense. They are the tiled areas and apparently the surface gets screeded towards the drain point before the tiles go down.

Dizzy,
Its just a concrete slab !
Formed up agregate on compacted sand is not something to get that excited about.
But its nice to see you're still excited about your property ....

Dizzy,
Its just a concrete slab !
Formed up agregate on compacted sand is not something to get that excited about.
But its nice to see you're still excited about your property ....
I beg to differ...when one is renovating, rebuilding or constructing, each minute piece of progress is something to get excited about. It's the progressions that show us where we've been and where we are going. It's tangible proof that change is occurring. It's another step towards the finish. I get excited about each step in my renovation as does Dizzy, JenD, Brenda, and many others.

Dizzy the slab is also symbolic of the basis of your house...not unlike turning the first clod of earth. So go get excited girl...I'll just sit here and bask in the warmth of your joy, and egg you on!

Back