Tony Abbott talking about mandatory drug testing for dole recipients

• All of Labor's $ 96 Billion in net debt fully paid off.
  • Over $ 22 Billion in cash sitting in the Bank, earning the country huge interest.
  • Over $ 60 Billion in cash locked away in the Future Fund so Labor couldn't spend it.
Not interested in a history lesson. What part of 'The Liberals enacted policy that leaves a massive ongoing, unsustainable hole in tax revenue' don't you understand?

Your "all political parties" line is popular with the uneducated masses but without rigour and well wide of the mark.

It is? Of all the people I have told that I don't vote, because all politicians are bottom feeding scumbags, the total amount of punters who've said 'Yeah, you're right. Voting is a bit of a waste of time, innit.' is exactly zero.

It's interesting all the people who are die hard supporters of either party, Labor or Liberal. They just won't listen to the other side on this and other subjects. Firmly entrenched.

Personally I pretty much hate them all equally, but Abbott is too much like George Bush for my liking.

One of my mates made a good point. What about someone who grow's and smokes weed and loses their job? To me it would be unfair if they didn't get the dole while they looked for work. They aren't using taxpayers cash for drugs, and a bit of weed with an otherwise law abiding person is a non event for me as long as they aren't a serial dole bludger.

It's interesting all the people who are die hard supporters of either party, Labor or Liberal. They just won't listen to the other side on this and other subjects. Firmly entrenched.

Personally I pretty much hate them all equally, but Abbott is too much like George Bush for my liking.

One of my mates made a good point. What about someone who grow's and smokes weed and loses their job? To me it would be unfair if they didn't get the dole while they looked for work. They aren't using taxpayers cash for drugs, and a bit of weed with an otherwise law abiding person is a non event for me as long as they aren't a serial dole bludger.

Theres a qualifying period on dole anyway following loss of a job. If they were good at their chosen field, they wouldnt need to go on dole anyways. Or, how about stop being crap at your job and getting yourself fired? Or if it was redundancy you would have seen the place go downhill and lined up new potential gigs and/or got a payout so that you wouldnt need dole whilst finding a new job.

Basically, I cant find any scenario where theres a justification for giving welfare to anyone other than the disabled or destitute; much less to a stoner.

Hey D.T., you know who used to get baked? Abraham Lincoln. While he was the President. A stoner ran an entire nation. While we're on the subject of stoner Presidents, Barack used to get on the wacky tobaccy as well.

Judging by some of his photos, I wouldn't be surprised if he still partakes.

Hang on a sec DDT, there is justification in giving welfare to young school leavers and the mature age worker who finds themselves out of a job. This welfare is necessary because of the discriminatory mentality that exists in Australia and is fuelled by the likes of Abbott.

I'm not saying everyone is entitled to welfare but its more than just the disabled or destitute.

Fabulous - firstly, you told me off for comparing to america a few posts ago, but you're allowed!. Secondly, hes earning a salary and not asking for handouts. I dont understand why people think handouts should be unconditional.

Datto - Firstly it isnt discrimination its just a condition. Much like you must submit criminal history for an overseas passport, financial history for a home loan or medical history for life insurance.

Secondly, run me thru a scenario where your so called "young school leaver", should be eligible for welfare.

Guess who said this? ;)

"The change to Newstart, in particular, is the most vicious, unjustified and utterly policy-idiotic measure I have ever seen a government take anywhere, anytime in my public policy career. It denies support upfront to the most vulnerable labour market group at the very time they need it.

It's policy loved by the angry older conservative brigade; tough love from the "you kids get off my lawn" crowd. But just cutting benefits for younger Australians would be a little obvious. The generational engineering goes deeper, with the pension age being raised to 70 and the real cuts to indexation and that's not to mention the impact of the changes to Medicare and the long term impact of the cuts to education.

On the other hand, the most obscene piece of generational warfare goes untouched: the top end tax concessions for superannuation. Labor's measures in our last budget to claw these back over time were abolished.

Hockey carried on in his budget speech about the age pension becoming unaffordable, but within three years this top-end superannuation concession will cost more than the age pension.

Little wonder Australians reject this budget for what it is: an assault on social justice in the short and long term. Abbott and Hockey need to remember one thing: the generations now being victimised are considerably larger in electoral terms than the generations doing the victimising. In a compulsory voting system this cannot stand. Stay tuned for their assault on the Electoral Act. It's straight out of the Tea Party playbook".

Secondly, run me thru a scenario where your so called "young school leaver", should be eligible for welfare.

Young Joe was picked on at school for being overweight and having a mild intellectual disability. He didn't do well at school and was always in the lowest class. As a result , he left school at the first opportunity.

Joe didn't qualify for the DSP and tried to look for work but without success. He and his friends occasionally pull cones in his parents back shed when they're at work.

Come on DT, young Joe deserves welfare not a smack behind the ear from Abbott.

Last edited:
may i politely point out that a surplus is over-taxation? i mean, 20bil surplus is 20bil of confiscated taxes not being put to good use.

No, you may not. It's a nonsense suggestion.

Future Budgets are set prior to the final published result being known. It is prudent and wise to run a surplus. It is foolish and reckless to sail too close to the wind and risk a deficit.

By the same twisted logic, seen only from an individual's point of view instead of for the good of the country as a whole, you would conclude that the horrendous 09/10 Budget where Labor delivered a massive $ 54.5 Billion deficit is somehow a real bonus for taxpayers ??

The twisted logic of that statement is overwhelming, and only matched by the very common "what about me, me, me" approach that seems to dominate people's thinking rather than "what is best for the nation".

Come on Aaron, you're a good bloke and we've shared time together. You're capable of much higher thinking than the common baseline of just 'what's in it for me'.

In the end, you don't need to listen. All you need to do is study the impartial published Govt data and confirm the results. Don't listen to what they say. Watch what they actually do. Even blind Freddy can see a long term pattern.

Personally I pretty much hate them all equally

How one takes the giant leap from managing the economy and studying published national figures and boiling it down to personally hating individuals....even to the point of throwing a blanket over everyone involved and hating the lot, is beyond me.

Come on DT, young Joe deserves welfare not a smack behind the ear from Abbott.
There I have to disagree, its exactly what he needs.
I was routinely picked on, even bashed a few times for being poor and geeky, so I should get to spend rest of my life on dole?

"Joe" can afford to miss a few meals, or buy some food with what he's wasting on cones. People are too picky about what jobs they take and seem to have this expectation they should get top $ from day one.
Digging trenches, fencing, pick fruit, apprenticeship electrical, nursing home maintenance, security installer, industrial electrical. I've had to do some **** things over the years for crappy wages but they were jobs.

I was routinely picked on, even bashed a few times for being poor and geeky, so I should get to spend rest of my life on dole?

Agree.... but I thought datto meant he should be on a DSP which is almost twice the dole amount.

If anything it's the DSP that's more disabling... and I don't mean just because he'd have more time on his hands to smoke cones and get fatter through excessive sitting.

Datto I can't believe that you think that's a good thing :confused:.

Last edited:
DavidMac,

Or just someone who cares about our rights like privacy. Most might be happy to give theirs away, but I'm not (and I don't do drugs, except for a double shot coffee every now and then).

I just have to ask.....:p

How do you see your "fitness for work" as an invasion of your privacy? Seriously like to know.

ciao

Nor

(Disclaimer........I had a D&A test today........)

Just wondering :eek:

If they were good at their chosen field, they wouldnt need to go on dole anyways.

Dave, have you heard of 'structural unemployment'?

Or, how about stop being crap at your job and getting yourself fired?

Holden, Toyota and Ford workers are darned good at their jobs. Holden and Toyota produced magnificent cars. Still, come 2016, they will be 'fired'

Shoemakers and sewing machinists were good at their job, textile and footwear industries still went overseas for cheaper labor costs.

Typists and Stenographers were stellar in their work, they were phased out with the advent of the computer.

Or if it was redundancy you would have seen the place go downhill and lined up new potential jobs and/or got a payout so that you wouldnt need dole whilst finding a new job.

Dave, have you heard of the term 'being put on performance management' or being 'performance managed out of a job' so you are ineligible to receive redundancy pay?

D.T., with all kindness, if you have ever lost a job, was it because you were 'crap' (not good) at your job and therefore fired? Could you arrange a payout for yourself beforehand? When you saw the writing on the wall, did you manage to line up a job for yourself before the job was pulled from under you?

BG

In the same order as your comments:

Heard of structural unemployment? Yes i have.

Car manufacturers - I have relatives at Holden in Adelaide. They aren't being fired. Those who want to take a redundancy package can do so, those who want to stay on can do so. The longer ya stay on the higher ya package will be. So, they'll get their mortgages paid off (significantly reducing their stress in finding a new job straight away) and the good workers are getting new factory or plant jobs and the stoners are not. Surprise.

Sewing machinists: My mums a sewing machinist :) She was in a factory that got shipped overseas. So she got a setup at home, and has multiple simultaneous contracts and makes three fifths of stuff all but she's happy and crosses things off her bucket list.

Typists: Have you heard of data entry?

Shouldn't all of the above take some responsibility for themselves? Or is it better just to whinge and resign to life on welfare. Have you been handed everything your whole life? Do you know what its like to go through dark or difficult times?

Have i ever lost a job? Yes, a couple times, and yes because i ****ed up. And I've learnt from that and am well loved by clients and peers now.

I've also seen the writing on the wall you speak of. I was at my last company for 3 yrs and saw that they were doing poorly, so put my notice in and spent my notice period lining up interviews and finding a new gig. As it happens, now 8 months in my new job, the previous company has shut down so it turns out i can read walls well :p

You're really starting to strike me as the kind of person who'd complain about everything at every opportunity. You find something to whinge about at every turn instead of playing the hand you're dealt?

Reactions: weg
Heard of structural unemployment? Yes i have.

Sewing machinists: My mums a sewing machinist :) She was in a factory that got shipped overseas. So she got a setup at home, and has multiple simultaneous contracts and makes three fifths of stuff all but she's happy and crosses things off her bucket list.

your mom is probably fantastic at what she does and has given her all to be an independent contractor at home- bless her!
But the truth is, she was structurally displaced and now makes 'three-fifths of stuff all'. Her factory and other textile factories disappeared off the face of the Australian island to cheaper countries. The textile industry she was in, no longer exists even to support independent contractors like your mom. Someone who has ended their structural unemployment would be in a different industry, trained for a different job but with same pay and benefits. If not for your father and you supporting her, she would have had to rely on government benefits while she retrained as a mature worker. That's what the welfare benefits system is for, to support retrenched workers like your mom who lost her job due to structural changes. It's also there to support workers who are 'no good' or 'crap' at their job to give them 77 X 7 chances to 'get good' at their job. Everybody 'grows' into their job or profession. No one gets it right first few times around.

Have you been handed everything your whole life? Do you know what its like to go through dark or difficult times?

No, I've not been handed everything my whole life and yes, I know what it is like to go through dark and difficult times personally and professionally. I've been financially anxious and worried, that's why I don't wish it on anyone.

Have i ever lost a job? Yes, a couple of times.

Me too! :D
3 in a row :p in the space of 2 years - 1. casual position 2. let go at end of 3 month probation 3. walked out of 3rd job after 1 year because I would not do the wrong thing
All were traumatic but memory heals as time passes

I've also seen the writing on the wall you speak of. I was at my last company for 3 yrs and saw that they were doing poorly, so put my notice in and spent my notice period lining up interviews and finding a new gig. As it happens, now 8 months in my new job, the previous company has shut down so it turns out i can read walls well :p

D.T. you've omitted to mention that it took you weeks to find a new job in spite of being well versed and competent at your job and able to read the writing on the wall.

I quit my job last September and didnt have another lined up. I spent 1st week doing a cert to refresh my skills and had interviews the next week scheduled in. I end up being out of work exactly 4 weeks.

With this rule in place only thing id do differently is have next one lined up.

You were in your late 20s when this happened, if the proposed newstart changes had been in place, back then, you would not have been able to receive 6 months of newstart benefits no matter how long it took you to get another job. What if your job loss had occurred in the middle of a recession? What are you supposed to survive on if you had no supportive parents and no savings? If someone like you with tertiary education, training and experience took weeks to find a new job, how about someone with less qualifications/experience? How long will it take them?

You're really starting to strike me as the kind of person who'd complain about everything at every opportunity. You find something to whinge about at every turn instead of playing the hand you're dealt?

Now, that's a tad unfair Dave, as well as being unfounded. You've got no proof I whinge about the hand I've been dealt with.
You've not seen me play cards :)

On a more serious note, Deets, I'm the sort of person who extends my help freely to all who ask. 12-15 people have sought my advice on buying property in Logan. I'm pleased to say most of them found their own deals either with direct advice from me or indirectly (they read my past posts). Some of them let me know they've bought property only after it went unconditional. I'm always very happy to hear of their successful purchase.

In spite of not knowing you from a bar of soap, I was also one of the first to respond with a sympathy message to you on the passing of your biological father.

Your dad obviously cared about you that he didn't want to bother you with his illness. Rest easy, he is at peace now from sorrow and pain. He wouldn't want you to grieve.

I bother because I care, if I didn't care, I wouldn't bother.
Our welfare, health and education system is not perfect but it's not bad either and I think it's worth fighting for. If you think I am 'complaining', I am not, I am simply speaking up for those who find it difficult to make their voice and thoughts heard.

Last edited:
Back