Totally appauled of some people's behaviour

OO, I think you've missed the point. People aren't angry because she MAY have discovered some people who fly flags might be racist, they're angry for other reasons.

Then to add insult to injury she tells them they've misunderstood the study, like they're morons as well :rolleyes:.

I read about this a few days ago and saw it coming, and I suspect so did she.

For those that can't see why the specific interest area was chosen for the study, ask yourselves would she do a study on racism in other races, that live in this country as well? Racism isn't exclusively white Australian, right?

Why even choose to conduct that sort of study (with a token 517 people)? What good does it achieve?

The way some carry on would make you think only white Australian's can possibly be racist. This is what get's up people's nose's.

That said, there is a correlation between being a drunk obnoxious cretins and having a southern cross tattoo and wearing the flag as a cape.

Does that make Cathy Freeman a drunk obnoxious cretin? Or the young Aussies at Anzac Cove in Gallipoli?

A weak correlation maybe.

OO, I think you've missed the point. People aren't angry because she MAY have discovered some people who fly flags might be racist, they're angry for other reasons.

Then to add insult to injury she tells them they've misunderstood the study, like they're morons as well :rolleyes:.

For those that can't see why the specific interest area was chosen for the study, ask yourselves would she do a study on racism in other races, that live in this country as well? Racism isn't exclusively white Australian, right?

Why even choose to conduct that sort of study (with a token 517 people)? What good does it achieve?

The way some carry on would make you think only white Australian's can possibly be racist. This is what get's up people's nose's.

I think part of the reason people study controversial subjects is because they are easy to get funding for

Miranda Devine comments
http://blogs.news.com.au/dailyteleg...or_this_sort_of_nonsense_is_quickly_flagging/

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...sts-demand-abbott-apology-20120126-1qj0v.html

My biggest grievence is that it was at an awards ceremony honouring people that actually provide to society.

These people are an embarassment to the aboriginal cause and to Australia.
Just a media set-up that backfired,no matter what anyone thinks about our current PM,one would have thought that the people watching Miss Gillards back and around her would never have let this happen in the first place..

Last edited:
this behaviour just put their cause back 100 years.

Hmmm....given the time you posted this, by "this behaviour" you obviously mean the yelling, screaming at, intimidating and surrounding Australia's two political leaders.

What you couldn't possibly be referring to, was what they did the next day, i.e. filmed burning the Australian flag on the ground and then their young children fully encouraged to spit on it as it burned.

Pray tell - does anyone know, what exactly is 'their cause' ??

in some ways the behavior has demonstrated how some in the community really think about australia and the flag.

showing their true colours so to speak. its not pretty, but if thats how they think their actions are clear now for all to see.

not sure about what their motives are either.

for some of us the australian flag means a lot and its very sad to see this sort of behavior. its of a new time i suppose. we are old fashioned perhaps, we do not like to see the flag used as clothing etc.

it was disturbing too to see little children participating with the so called activists in that manner. education i suppose.

confronting stuff.

Yeah, maybe it does?

But then, if aboriginals resent being invaded, then really it's only the few full blooded aboriginals that still live at Alice Springs and Tannent Creek and Catherine and a few other places who can complain. I didn't see any full blood aboriginals in the protesters. There were plenty who were whiter then me after I've got a tan. So they all have white blood in them, some a bit, most a lot. Most would be mainly white, with a little bit of aboriginal. So it is a fact that if any non full blood aboriginal resents being invaded, it means they would rather not exist and would never have been born into this life.

Weird.

See ya's.

My saying is "there is a lot of cream in their coffee"

At what point does a person stop claiming they are aboriginal?
I know...when the benefits stop.

for some of us the australian flag means a lot and its very sad to see this sort of behavior. its of a new time i suppose. we are old fashioned perhaps, we do not like to see the flag used as clothing etc.

I think this gets to the heart of it for me. In recent years we've actually seen a lot more 'pride' in the Australian flag, and sometimes I think that 'Pride' is actually inappropriate.

For me, seeing people with an Australian flag sticker on their face at a sporting event, well, thats ok.

But then a few years ago I was at the burial service for some servicemen at Polygon Wood, and there were some Aussie backpackers there wearing the Aussie flag as a cape. Other than that, they were were well behaved.

That year I also went to the ANZAC Services near Bullecourt, and after at Diggers Corner (near Villiers-Bretenaux). After the minutes silence, some Aussies, again wrapped in flags, did the 'Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi' thing. (whilst wearing fuzzy orange wigs....)

So, mixed feelings there obviously people taking an interest in our heritage is a good thing, but somewhere along the lines there has been a failure to communicate some of the deeper aspects of that heritage.

So when bogans attach huge flags to their cars, along with racist slogans on their cars, then suddenly the flag starts to become attached to identities that others may disagree with. That disagreement then gets expressed against the symbol.

Its not right, and I'm not condoning it, but I think we should careful how we use our flag. Its represents all of Australia, and that's a pretty broad swathe of society. Its not an item of clothing, or decoration, or a beach towel.

I don't think we should go over the top in revering it, but we should respect that it stands for something, and we should be careful what we let it stand for.

Murphy

Well said Murphy could not agree more.

The idiots who think they are more Australian because they wrap themselves in the flag is silly.

Charlie Teo's speech gave a very balanced view on the realities of modern Australia.

The Australian of today comes from all backgrounds...to take a saying from Martin Luther King. It is not the color of a man's skin but the content of their character. ;)

I think this gets to the heart of it for me. In recent years we've actually seen a lot more 'pride' in the Australian flag, and sometimes I think that 'Pride' is actually inappropriate.

For me, seeing people with an Australian flag sticker on their face at a sporting event, well, thats ok.

But then a few years ago I was at the burial service for some servicemen at Polygon Wood, and there were some Aussie backpackers there wearing the Aussie flag as a cape. Other than that, they were were well behaved.

That year I also went to the ANZAC Services near Bullecourt, and after at Diggers Corner (near Villiers-Bretenaux). After the minutes silence, some Aussies, again wrapped in flags, did the 'Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi' thing. (whilst wearing fuzzy orange wigs....)

So, mixed feelings there obviously people taking an interest in our heritage is a good thing, but somewhere along the lines there has been a failure to communicate some of the deeper aspects of that heritage.

So when bogans attach huge flags to their cars, along with racist slogans on their cars, then suddenly the flag starts to become attached to identities that others may disagree with. That disagreement then gets expressed against the symbol.

Its not right, and I'm not condoning it, but I think we should careful how we use our flag. Its represents all of Australia, and that's a pretty broad swathe of society. Its not an item of clothing, or decoration, or a beach towel.

I don't think we should go over the top in revering it, but we should respect that it stands for something, and we should be careful what we let it stand for.

Murphy

Excellent post Murphy.

On a side note, is it weird I'm more upset by people dragging a flag on the ground at musical festivals than those trying to be outrageous and inflammatory by burning it?

Hmmm....given the time you posted this, by "this behaviour" you obviously mean the yelling, screaming at, intimidating and surrounding Australia's two political leaders.

What you couldn't possibly be referring to, was what they did the next day, i.e. filmed burning the Australian flag on the ground and then their young children fully encouraged to spit on it as it burned.

Pray tell - does anyone know, what exactly is 'their cause' ??

Aboriginal Tent City

Do you seriously belive this ?

I mean it, seriously you actually beleive it is like that ?

I don't see what you peole seem to see in this, I don;t feel under attack and I find it really strange that you people do.

Yeah, maybe it does?

But then, if aboriginals resent being invaded, then really it's only the few full blooded aboriginals that still live at Alice Springs and Tannent Creek and Catherine and a few other places who can complain. I didn't see any full blood aboriginals in the protesters. There were plenty who were whiter then me after I've got a tan. So they all have white blood in them, some a bit, most a lot. Most would be mainly white, with a little bit of aboriginal. So it is a fact that if any non full blood aboriginal resents being invaded, it means they would rather not exist and would never have been born into this life.

Weird.

See ya's.

Sorry TC I have to make a comment here.

In 2011, Andrew Bolt was found guilty of the breaching the Discrimination Act for commenting and conveying offensive messages about fair-skinned Aboriginal people, by saying that they were not genuinely Aboriginal and were pretending to be Aboriginal so they could access benefits that are available to Aboriginal people.

To argue that 'light-skinned Aboriginals' have by virtue of the skin pigmentation, would not rather exist is ridiculous, offensive and not becoming of the SS forum. Freedom of expression is not absolute.

In Justice Bromberg's findings he found

I have taken into account that the articles may have been read by some people susceptible to racial stereotyping and the formation of racially prejudicial views andthat, as a result, racially prejudiced views have been reinforced, encouraged or emboldened. In the balancing process, I have also taken into account the silencing consequences upon freedom of expression involved in the Court making a finding of contravention.

The only difference between the comments made above and Bolts is that he had his blog & were published by the Herald-Sun.

Back