Totally appauled of some people's behaviour

And I suppose banging on the glass of the restaurant, trying to jump in front of the PM/OP's car and trying to use the PM's dropped shoe as political leverage is considered respectful?

Abbot is a leader of a major political party in Australia. His voice represents lots of people. It's not his job to stir the people sentiment on the indigenous population, especially on Australia Day. It has been a long road to get where we are today as Australian and it is still a long way to go.

The Liberal party leader & his team comment on Australia day did not represent all Liberal party voters, as the behavior of the protesters did not represent the behavior of the indigenous of Australia.

Our local primary school has this little ceremony each week in the beginning of the assembly (after national anthem and school song), to acknowledge the people who originally own the land.

it's a shame that skin colour was even discussed in this Landlord forum.

It's not his job to stir the people sentiment on the indigenous population, especially on Australia Day. It has been a long road to get where we are today as Australian and it is still a long way to go.

If you've followed this story at all, you would know that the stirring came from the Labor party, NOT Abbott (he was misquoted by a Labor advisor and the aboriginals now say they reacted to the misquoted version).

Other high profile Aboriginals thought that the passage was sensitive, and didn't have a problem with it.

I actually disagree...at least it gave both Juliar and that Abbott a wake up call.

The way the Aboriginals are treated in country is a disgrace.....at least that would have given them coverage around the world.

Before making judgements....just look at how poorly Aboriginals are treated....politicians ignore them...the police treat them badly. :mad:

They are not treated badly at all.

They get given many, many concessions that I don't. I grew up in a country town which had its own Aboriginal community....free everything pretty much.

Hardly a word of thanks, and gave everyone a mouthful to go on with, often times. Good one.

In fact, they are treated very well, but there are still those who continue to live in the very distant past, can't move on and embrace the world we are in NOW.

To see those Aboriginal "leaders" burning the Australian flag while (Aboriginal) children looked on was appalling. What sort of progress are they going to make (I assume they want to?) with displays of behaviour like that.

I reckon they put their cause back 30 years with that stunt the other day.

As for the Police treating them badly; Police don't treat anyone badly as a general rule; until they are treated badly themselves.

I know quite a few cops, and for the majority they are decent human beings like any of us. Just doing a job, and it's a tough one. But nowadays, they are paper tigers, have no comeback or ability to retaliate.

Too right Bayview agreed with all you've said above, and that's coming from my own experiences as well. Living in a country town very close to aboriginals of all dillution (but none full blooded) of which some are my friends.

I'm sure none of them would have condoned what has occured and I know they are happy with the apology by the Govt. and have resolved to move on with their lives and live in harmony.

Sash, you need to pull your head in mate and get up with the facts surrounding reconcilliation. What you're bleating about happened years ago and has since been reconciled. Give it up.

Geoff,

How in the world is apost saying "Sure, now we all know" considered "personal " enough to warrant censorship more than the 2 replies to Dazz's posts ?

Thanks buzz for the link,

These demands were rejected by the Govt in 1972.

Can anyone confirm whether these are still the demands and form the root of their cause, or have they changed in 40 years ?? If so, what are the new demands ??

I'd imagine if they were asking for 6 Billion back in '72, that figure would be multiples of that by now. What percentage of gross national income were they demanding ??

I'd imagine the areas around all capital cities would have changed enormously since back in 1972. Where is the demand line today ??

Does anyone know what "their cause" is today ??

I don't know - seems like a reasonable list of demands to me......

Please don't tell me what I am aware of or what I probably know.

If you don't know what they have been protesting for, just say so.

I've already said I don't know. My question was, does anyone here know what they have been protesting for, for over 40 years now ??

So you bothered to find out yet ??

Back