Townhouses in Kingston council, VIC

Hello all,
we are currently looking for a land/old house somewhere in Kingston city council, Melbourne (i.e. in between Aspendale and Mentone) that we can subdivide and build 2-3 townhouses on.
However, I have spoken to one of Kingston town planners and he said Kingston city council does not like two-storey houses built at the back. He did not elaborate on this
To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing in current regulations that says "we don't allow people to build two-storeys at the back".
If you walk around Mentone-Mordy, you will certainly see modern two storey townhouses but yes, one-storeys prevail at the back.
It has nothing to do with zoning; it's the same picture both in RZ1 and in RZ3.
Of course I find it much easier to do a decent size house on two storeys than one.
What do you suggest we should do in order to be sure we can do two-storeys out there?
For the worst case, how exactly VCAT would look at the "council does not like two-storey" thing, which is not part of current planning regulations?

However, I have spoken to one of Kingston town planners and he said Kingston city council does not like two-storey houses built at the back....What do you suggest we should do in order to be sure we can do two-storeys out there?

My suggestion HelenS, FWIW, is that you take notice of the town-planner. If they don't like something, they will do all they can to resist you - at every step of the way. Could you force it through - probably. Are you ready for the fight and all the emotional drain? Can you afford the inevitable delays (along with associated holding costs) that they can put in your way?

Generally, you'd want the town-planner on your side. Find another area to do what you want to in. Take the town-planner out to lunch to discuss your ideas. That way you'll get some inside info that might help you.

My suggestion HelenS, FWIW, is that you take notice of the town-planner. If they don't like something, they will do all they can to resist you - at every step of the way.

I probably did not make myself clear...the town planner likes the idea, but said that "Kingston in general does not like two storeys".

Hello all,
For the worst case, how exactly VCAT would look at the "council does not like two-storey" thing, which is not part of current planning regulations?

if there's nothing in the planning scheme that says 'council does not like two-storey', then it doesn't mean anything at VCAT
check the local planning policy section of the scheme to see Council's policy direction relating to medium density housing...

Back