tradie recommendations for bathroom reno Melbourne

Hi there,

I'd like to get some quotes for a basic bathroom reno in a 70s unit that's currently our PPOR but most likely soon to be IP. So looking update to something newer, but not too flash. I'm in Ringwood East, Melbourne.

It's functional at the moment, but with loose tiles above the bath, which need to be replaced, and possibly some past leakage issues beneath the shower base (the base doesn't seem to sit flat, and water doesn't flow easily towards the drain - maybe something has sunk??). In addition this, probably looking to replace the vanity, taps, shower base, toilet and tiles (floor and wall).

Does anyone have some recommendations for reliable and reasonably priced tradies for the job/s? I suppose I'll be needing a plumber, tiler and well, not sure who else??

I've attached a couple of pics of the bathroom (toilet is separate)

Attachments

• DSCF4426.jpg
    DSCF4426.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCF4427.jpg
    DSCF4427.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 145
We have recently renovated a bathroom similar to yours, Tried to leave all the inlets & outlets in the same position to save money our biggest issue which was not really much of a proplem was that we had a concrete floor & shower base so the outlets had to be lowered, this involved removing some concrete under the shower.

We removed almost everthing ourselves to reduce costs, only thing we found was asbsetos sheet behid the wall tiles & had a professional remove those

Had the plumber come in to do the shower & other minor work cost about $400 (he also installed shower base)

Built a new frame for bath, & fitted new bath

Tiler next as we like to tile under most things (except Bath) uses a few more tiles but reduced amount of work for tiler.

Fitted new vanity purchased off ebay cost $255 plus taps

Got rid of bulkhead so we could use standard 900x900 frameless shower & base, frameless shower cost was around $900 supplied & fitted, used a new shelf at other end of bath to replace bulkhead

New large mirror fitted & new window glass supplied & fitted around $300

Paint & fit accesories

Used local paper to find tradies but were very specific about what we wanted & for quoting comparison we tend to choose tradies who quote in the middle range.

Attachments

• P1000898.jpg
    P1000898.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 196
  • S6300297.jpg
    S6300297.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 220
  • S6300298.jpg
    S6300298.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 201
North 211 Bathroom

hi North 211,

We have almost an identical bathroom to what you had, except without the asbestos (tiles straight onto plasterboard).

You've mentioned a few of the costs, but would you recall the all up cost (excl. asbestos removal).

You mentioned that you have a concrete floor and shower base. Did you remove the concrete floor or just the tiles and how difficult was either to do. Also, was your bulkhead concrete or cement sheet.

hi North 211,

We have almost an identical bathroom to what you had, except without the asbestos (tiles straight onto plasterboard).

You've mentioned a few of the costs, but would you recall the all up cost (excl. asbestos removal).

You mentioned that you have a concrete floor and shower base. Did you remove the concrete floor or just the tiles and how difficult was either to do. Also, was your bulkhead concrete or cement sheet.

Haven't got all costs close to hand but from memory

Replaced old protruding old mirror around $300 (including removing old)

Vanity $255, Mixer for vanity $85

Can't remember cost of taps but were cheap, purchased off a guy in knoxfield(ebay)

Bath $120 we made up the new frame ourselves copying the original & leaving enough room for the cement sheet & tiles to go under lip of bath

Acrylic shower base $90, we removed the old concrete base as was leaking & by time had it fixed & retiled was better to replace base, plumber had to smash some of the concrete under shower base to relocate new outlet

Screen fitted around $900

New extractor fan $?

After room done realised how bad original windows looked so replaced the glass couple hundred $ I think

Can't tell you cost of tiling as all wet areas were tiled, also hall & kitchen tiled.

Cement/asbestos sheet was behind all tiles inc shower so replaced the cement sheet in shower can't remember cost of sheet

Bulkhead was a timber frame with cement sheet, we did not put that back as was going to cost too much for custom shower & although we have a bit of an empty spot where the bulkhead was, the room looked bigger & with cleaner lines

we tried to leave all the inlets & outlets where possible in their original positions

Just a reminder must use waterproofing & I had the tiler do that

Bit long winded but hope it helps

Hi north211

Can you give me the contacts of Tradies whom you used?

I just prepare renovating bathroom, toilet and kitchen

buy so far:

Vanity 900mm: $350
Mirror: $85
Shower base: $176
Shower Screen incl install: $590
heated towel rails: $84
bath resurfaceing: $440
floor tiles: $130
wall tiles: $450
toilet: $130
tap: $65