Trip Melb/Victoria

From Melbourne you can do a round trip through the wineries and north to the Alpine region, Bright, Mt Beauty and Beechworth, then across to Bendigo and Ballarat. We went all the way west to Warrnambool but you can get to the Great Ocean Rd via Camperdown without going that far west. From Torquay you can go back to Melbourne via Geelong and the Werribee Zoo or catch the ferry from Queenscliff to Portsea. Then you will get to experience Dromana and Frankston for yourself. There is a lovely caf? on the waterfront at, I think, Mordialloc. We found an awesome Vietnamese restaurant in Richmond but I don't remember the name. It was very crowded.

One of my favourite days out with foreign visitors is to drive round the bay, stopping off at points of interest, for example Point Cook Homestead and Port Lonsdale lighthouse on the western side, Arthurs Seat on the east. If you're lucky you get to see dolphins close up from the ferry.

One of my favourite days out with foreign visitors is to drive round the bay, stopping off at points of interest, for example Point Cook Homestead and Port Lonsdale lighthouse on the western side, Arthurs Seat on the east. If you're lucky you get to see dolphins close up from the ferry.

Agree - either way around the bay and take the car over on the Sorrento-Queenscliff ferry.

http://www.searoad.com.au/

Very long drive to do in one day so maybe stay over on either peninsula.

The Y-man

That looks good, it will be on the list as a goer.

I am budgeting $300 per night accommodation, B&B, 2 rooms.
$300 per day spending money

I hope I am allowing enough

My picks:

Out East - The Dandenongs (as previously mentioned) -> Yarra Valley (+ drive the Black spur, checkout Bruno's Sculpture Garden in Marysville and enjoy a Buxton Burger!)

Out West - Also the Grampians (Halls Gap) and Dalyesford Spa region.

Last time we went to Melb we stayed at the Langham, very nice, but a tad expensive, as we are taking the family would like to cut back on the accommodation, but still reasonable place to stay

http://melbourne.langhamhotels.com.au/

The Langham's about as expensive as you're going to get along with the Sofitel, Hyatt and Crown.

If you want to cut back maybe check out the Novohell...oops Novotel (Ibis if you are seriously budget:p). Alternatively a serviced apartment might be better, but they may require more nights to be booked.

The Y-man

The Langham's about as expensive as you're going to get along with the Sofitel, Hyatt and Crown.

If you want to cut back maybe check out the Novohell...oops Novotel (Ibis if you are seriously budget:p). Alternatively a serviced apartment might be better, but they may require more nights to be booked.

The Y-man

Geeeeeeez, but the Langham was so nice;), OK, back to reality, let me check out the Novotel and Ibis.

Its in a good spot .. the "Paris End" of Flinders Lane,. near Parliament Station, easy to catch the free sightseeing tram, that you can hop on and off.

Plenty of restaurants, cafes and coffee shops.

Near the Theatres and the parks.

Happy travelling

Chris

Well, feeling ignored :confused::(

But because I'm such a nice gal, I'm going to add to the wonderful suggestions you have received already.

If you have school-aged children or older,
look into

The Edge - at Eureka SkyTower
(standing in a glass cube many many stories above the city - freaking scary but exhilirating and what a view!)

and

Bounce
(wall to wall trampolines, what kid (fit adults too) wouldn't love this)

Cheers :)

Meatball & wine co, chin chin, mamasitas are great Cbd eats. Just go at senior citizen time so you are not queuing up for hours! I'm food queen in Cbd.
Make sure you check out le petit gateau (not open weekends) and cafe vue (wagyu burger win) or bistro vue (French) if vue de monde is too $$$$.

Get on swanston street & Lt Collins. There is a crepe shop in a defunct magazine booth on the pavement. Amazinggggg and $5 for a chestnut or salted caramel crepe.

Tight a$$ dumplings place off the beaten trek on la trobe and Russell is my go to place for dumplings. Except they are closed on Sunday. Steamed xiao long bao, fried rice cakes and a dumpling noodle soup for less than $30 for my family of 4!

Yell out if you want specific cuisine recommendations.

Oh oh I have another one. Operator 25 Wills Street off the beaten track too for breakfast. And Wellington street near MCG Italian restaurant called Geppetto trattoria.

Right no wonder I'm poor. I eat out a lot!

Back