trusting tradies in your house

Hey Guys,
I'm working away from home in hospital provided accomodation currently. Today the A/C maintenance guys came around as organised to service and check the split system. The hospital let them in as agreed with me.

When I got home my Macbook was on (asleep) and had been turned on at 0945h on the system log. I left for work at 0715h and it was not on! The bathroom light was also left on.

I'm generally pretty relaxed but this pisses me off. I'll be writing a few letters tomorrow........

Anyone else had similar experiences??

Cheers
Pulse

How rude for someone to invade your privacy like that. And how stupid for him to leave it on. I understand how you feel. Goodness knows what he was looking at, either your personal files or something else. Goodness knows what sites he may have been to. I'd keep a record of what has happened in case his tastes happen to be illegal. You don't want to have to explain anything to the police.

Interested to hear what response you get from the company who sent him round, when you do hear from them, if you do.

Makes me realise that being home while tradesmen are in my house is important. We know our plumber, sparky etc, but an air-con tech is not someone you call on regularly, and you really are letting a stranger in. If you work, you don't have much option though.

Good luck with your sleuthing. Please let the forum know the outcome.

Wylie.

Thought I'd update everyone, The guy stole someone else's laptop from a nearby unit. He also went through some drawers in another unit. Spoke to the owner of the company who sent him and he said the guy had worked for him for 2 months. A call yesterday evening to his last employer revealed that work tools and car keyless entry modules also went missing. No pre employment check it would seem. The company owner is pretty upset, the guy called in sick to work today. Everyone is getting evidence ready to pass on to police.

The funniest part is that when he dropped off the keys he said "that it was funny some people didn't lock their houses.... A laptop might go missing or something...!"

Cheers
Pulse

our body corporate has advised we are expected to be home, or to provide keys, for access to our units on thursday, between 830 and 330. or pay 95.00 call out fee.

its not our fault, its the builders fault, so i'm not paying a call out fee, and they will NOT go into my unit without my presence.
I'm a real stickler, and won't allow it under any circumstances.

A friend of mine had a similiar experience just recently. Front door was left unlocked all day with a unit full of valuables after a plumbing inspection by a tradesman.

RJ

Back