Tsunami' to hit Australian real estate

BINGO! That's why we get these wild claims. Even people like Stephen Keen are guilty of it too. They focus in on a narrow set of variables and don't take the full picture into account.

IMO there are several factors, which TOGETHER make up the strength of the property market.

1. Interest rates
2. Bank's desire to lend, and financial products created to allow this
3. Unemployment
4. General strength of the economy
5. Rental yields
6. Supply of new property
7. Demand - Number of potential entrants to the market
8. Government regulation (negative gearing, stamp duty rates, etc)

One of these factors cannot destroy the market. One factor going against you will reduce growth a bit. A whole lot will affect it more.

I think at the moment we're thumbs down on 1&2. Neutral on 8 and thumbs up on the rest. To varying degrees of course.

Think back to the boom times a few years ago. Every single factor was going in property's favour.

So coming in and only talking about debt levels is simply not taking enough factors into account. It's a complex market. More complex than many realise.

We're probably not much stronger on 5, 6 and 7. And these will feed 3 and 4.

Problem with Dent is his past performance has been poor. I used to subscribe to his newsletter but he was soo wrong most of the term I cancelled.

he once predicted the DOW would reach 40k. In my view he makes some good points but personally I like Gerald Celente much better.

Today read an article on cnbc where he is predicting DOW to fall to 3000 by 2013 :eek:

Cheers,
Oracle.

IMO there are several factors, which TOGETHER make up the strength of the property market.

1. Interest rates
2. Bank's desire to lend, and financial products created to allow this
3. Unemployment
4. General strength of the economy
5. Rental yields
6. Supply of new property
7. Demand - Number of potential entrants to the market
8. Government regulation (negative gearing, stamp duty rates, etc)

One of these factors cannot destroy the market. One factor going against you will reduce growth a bit. A whole lot will affect it more.

What about the elephant in the room: sentiment?

Haha I must say I'm not sure if I would consider some academic the "most influential" thinker... bring me a billionaire and I'll listen.

Would a dozen multi-millionaires count?

I could present them, unanimous on a topic, and you would reject their advice.

John Maynard Keynes once said:

“When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?”

I'm one of the old farts here and one of the few who understands change. You younguns think "change" is a better mobile phone. I know that "change" is life changing and happens regularly during a long life.

There is a lot of talk, specualtion, predictions and so forth on property values falling but what about rents falling???

If you are cf nuetral or positive and property values fall while rents remain steady or have a slight dip, you can ride out any correction with out too much hardship.

Or am I missing something?

Would a dozen multi-millionaires count?

I could present them, unanimous on a topic, and you would reject their advice.

John Maynard Keynes once said:

“When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?”

I'm one of the old farts here and one of the few who understands change. You younguns think "change" is a better mobile phone. I know that "change" is life changing and happens regularly during a long life.

Not really.

I could check my phone list and call up another 50 if it helps.

Point is - multi-millionaire doesn't mean much. But if you must, you could always ask me. I'll listen when Buffett or Lee Shau Kee says it.

There is a lot of talk, specualtion, predictions and so forth on property values falling but what about rents falling???

If you are cf nuetral or positive and property values fall while rents remain steady or have a slight dip, you can ride out any correction with out too much hardship.

in countries that had a bubble pop rents have fallen.

No, you are right.

If you are in the bottom market, then rents are mostly supported by the Gov pension. These tenants have no other option.

Keen & Dent will say to this, consider the extreme issues. They say comments like Families Homeless living in CVan parks were used to justify where tenants will end up.

If this is true then we are all stuffed.

Interesting Dent suggrests we all invest in US Realesate and ride the rise there in value and then take more cash when the Aussie falls against the US $. Risky strategy needing a lot of things to line up if you ask me.

And then the US gov will simply tax non citizens with property sale tax and your strategy is stuffed.

Peter 14.7

Can someone please give me a rational explanation HOW propertry in australia will drop 40%?
Cheers

Depending on which suburbs they use for the study, all it takes is for them to quote a median and it could occur. No sales at the top end, and mostly (a small total number of) sales in the bottom end can give this result. Does it mean houses have crashed? No; but the media quote medians every week.

They can also (and do) trot out a high-end house/s in places like Brighton/Toorak etc, where some dude with a serious cash amount to spend has bought up when the state of euphoria was high, and then has to sell after the fragile finance empire he/she has been dwelling in collapses.

It's not that uncommon to see an $8 mill house sell for $6mill and so on in those areas, just as it is also not uncommon to see someone pay top-dollar for an OTP unit somewhere, and then discover a year later that they need to sell for whatever reason and voila! a big loss.

We all know this is not the wider reality though, so just disregard the hysteria.

Problem with Dent is his past performance has been poor. I used to subscribe to his newsletter but he was soo wrong most of the term I cancelled.

he once predicted the DOW would reach 40k. In my view he makes some good points but personally I like Gerald Celente much better.

Mind you I dont think the economy is glowing so Dent and I would agree on those points.

He also said yesterday that had been predicting the drop in US REA for 20 years. Taken on face value, that is an admission for 19 years he has been wrong.

Peter 14.7

i've pre-ordered Harry Dents new book.
Prepared to keep an open mind, and curious to read his insights.

But a couple of points to highlight:
(a) this guy gets his money from writing books, giving seminars, subscription fees to his site, so he needs 'something important to say'.
(b) his potential 3000 dow forecast, i have only seen the cnbc brief. I need to read the book to obtain a better understanding. But i think its a very low probability event (but note low probability doesnt mean it can't happen, if terrorists blow up a nuclear bomb in each of the major financial cities around the world it might provide the catalyst).

Why am i reasonably confident in (b), go through the components of the DOW30, ie each individual stock in the index. Now with the dow at 11,000 odd lets look at the fundamentals of those companies at 3000. Do you really think it will get there?????

Back