Ugly ceiling

I am looking to render this ugly celing and just wondering what you think rough costs would be..?

I attached before pic and what i'd like it to be after. I roughly have about 65 sqm of this ceiling.

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• ugly ceiling.JPG
    ugly ceiling.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 131
  • after.JPG
    after.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 119
Why render?

options
- scrape off and paint
- board over
- styrofoam ceiling tile over

Hi WM, I didn't exactly mean render but the normal flat look, getting rid of the popcorn ceiling. Your suggestions are great.

Which one would you think would be the cheaper option?

Cheers

Its called vermiculite and was an common 50s-70's fire and sound proofing feature of units in that area.

Not stable enough to skim coat over, so your best bet is to have someone batten and install a gyprock drop ceiling. Use the cavity to put in downlights to compensate for reduced ceiling height.

I would also suggest another carpet colour besides red :D

Its called vermiculite and was an common 50s-70's fire and sound proofing feature of units in that area.

Not stable enough to skim coat over, so your best bet is to have someone batten and install a gyprock drop ceiling. Use the cavity to put in downlights to compensate for reduced ceiling height.

I would also suggest another carpet colour besides red :D

HI Dave,

I'm trying to avoid at all costs reducing the height of the celling as this unit the ceiling is already kinda low...What about the options WM suggested.. ?

Whats wrong with the red carpet! :cool::D

Is this 1 or 2 story home?

If its a 2 story with solid cement slap ceiling the cheapest way is to scrape of the popcorn ceiling and then paint with a textured paint.

The best way is to install batons and then install gyprock onto the batons. You will also need new cornice. You will only lose about 40mm of ceiling height.
But your ceiling will look higher because of the flat surface

Is this 1 or 2 story home?

If its a 2 story with solid cement slap ceiling the cheapest way is to scrape of the popcorn ceiling and then paint with a textured paint.

The best way is to install batons and then install gyprock onto the batons. You will also need new cornice. You will only lose about 40mm of ceiling height.
But your ceiling will look higher because of the flat surface

1 storey unit

Slight deviation, can I suggest mirrors on the roof in the bedrooms instead? Will go well with that red, passionate carpet!

Hi Leo

You might want to have a look at some info in this post

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85266&highlight=Vermiculite

Cheers

HandyAndy,

Thanks so much mate!! I saved the contact (LJ Interior Works) and will get in touch. I agree with you. you cant beat the Asians most of the time. I lived in Taiwan for 8 years, so I know their work ethic and how they think. They will just kill any market because their philosophy is if the other guy will do it for $5, we'll do it for $3, and with a smile.

Thanks again! Just curious..do you have any before and after pictures?

Back