Umina Beach - Central Coast NSW

How long have you lived in the area? And by that i mean on the Woy Woy peninsula?

There are many, many areas on the central coast with a population density similar to the Woy Woy peninsula that dont appear on the maps as a crime hot spots. So your point is flawed.

Here is the explanation to my links.

When crime incidents are
dispersed over a large area,
the area will have a low
crime density. When many
incidents are clustered
within a small area, the
area will have a high crime
density. Areas with a very
high crime density relative
to crime concentrations
across NSW are considered
to be crime hotspots.

To calculate crime density across NSW, the State is divided
into hundreds of thousands of 50m by 50m grid cells. A
single 50m by 50m grid cell is chosen and the incidents
within the surrounding 500m are weighted according to
how close they are to the centre of that grid cell. Incidents
at the centre of the destination cell are weighted ‘1’, while
incidents outside the search radius are weighted ‘0’. The
sum of these weighted crime counts, the ‘density score’, is
calculated and assigned to the centre grid cell. The density
score for each 50m by 50m cell is then compared with all
other cells across NSW. If the cell has a high crime density
relative to other cells, it becomes a hotspot.
Umina is the MOST populated suburb on the Central Coast, the Woy Woy Peninsula is the most densely populated area in Gosford LGA. The council regularly says this when planning happens in the area, which is the reason they gave recently for a new Mcdonalds being built in Umina 4 KM's from the one in Woy Woy, due to the large population in the area. Although it is common in Sydney for multiple venues like this to be located so close to each other, you'll find that it is not common place on the Central Coast, outside of the city like shopping area of Erina.

This is albeit one trivial example. Regardless of this the per 100,000 population charts show a different story. Funnily enough the per 100,000 population charts do show that the area has a higher crime rate than say Ryde or Canada Bay as they are actually below the state average for almost everything while the Woy Woy Peninsula is pretty much equal to the state average on everything. The other links I posted with the other maps showing crime hotpots in good LGA's which do not relate to the per 100,000 population (Which I myself recognise are much higher socio economic than Woy Woy) would show how good areas can show as hotspots on those other maps, which means they can be misleading.

I assume the rest of my post must have been ok, because it didn't get a response? I'm not here to argue. I respect your opinion, and there is definitely truth that I've seen to some things you say. It is known here that Umina Skatepark is a no go zone on a Saturday night (Not that I know why anyone would want to go there anyway) and that there is a problem with drunk kids roaming the streets some Saturday nights. Gloria Jeans in the outside area can be a bit sore on the eyes sometimes and God knows it, I wish there were more decent places to have a drink in the area. But honestly, there are also so many good things I've encountered here too. I've met great people, never myself experienced crime and I'm out around here all the time, I use the beaches and waterways to fish and swim all the time and they are awesome.

The places are cheap which means those on a lower income can afford to actually have a life if they buy a property, and the train is very centrally located to get to Sydney. In the whole time I've lived here, I've heard of one or possibly two assaults on the Peninsula which made the news in four years.

Having inlaws which work as security at Deepwater Plaza, I hear more about petty vandalism than I ever truly hear about things that would make me fear for my safety. I will say we indeed live in a very good country as all in all I've never felt unsafe really anywhere in Australia.

Hi Billijoe, where in Umina would you look to buy (or buy again) and which streets would you avoid?
Hi Sahi, In Umina I would look at Umina Heights if you have a good budget of say $500,000 plus as that part of Umina up on the hill has great views and is overall a very nice place. Much of South Umina is also very desirable, which generally seems to be the area closest to the bush and hills on the south side of Mount Ettalong Road. I also like the side of Umina on the Ettalong side of Trafalgar Avenue. I would personally avoid (I don't mean to upset anyone it's just my opinion) anything between Ocean Beach Road and Trafalgar Avenue in Woy Woy/Umina and pretty much anything in South Woy Woy around the railway station and Shoalhaven Drive/Railway Street. I'm sure there are very nice people there but there is a rough feeling around those parts due to predominately housing commission properties being there.

I like pretty much anywhere in Ettalong and Booker Bay and most of Blackwall too. With these three suburbs you will get a very good idea just driving down the street. Most look quite clean and well represented and some not so much. I've walked around all these areas at night and never had a problem. I would probably not walk around most of Umina though in the middle of the night by myself.

Last edited:
If I had 500k to spend and wanted to live on the central coast there is no way Umina would get a look in.

I grew up on the coast, used to live there and still have property there.

500k would get a decent place in a nicer area that doesn't have a negative stigma about it.

If I had 500k to spend and wanted to live on the central coast there is no way Umina would get a look in.

I grew up on the coast, used to live there and still have property there.

500k would get a decent place in a nicer area that doesn't have a negative stigma about it.
In another thread though, you whined about the commute from Lisarow, Blue Bay, Avoca etc. The Peninsula is the only area on the coast you would avoid this on the train. You are looking at 10-15 minutes more than commuting from Penrith or Campbelltown if you work in the city CBD. Less on the Northern Suburbs. I know as I do this everyday from Woy Woy. Many areas of Penrith and Campbelltown have equally negative if not much more negative stigmas about them than Umina. Most people who move to the Peninsula do so as for the same price they would either be living in the outer west, and/or if they do have more money because they want to be a commuting distance to Sydney, while not living in the city and living near the water.

If you didn't have to work in Sydney than yes many seaside towns are much better than Umina and just as affordable. Killcare would be a great place to start in my opinion.

If you are looking at a 500k+ purchase it is more likely you are making the lifestyle decision to live and work on the coast (or live and commute) and will be more picky in where you live.

And even if you go slightly up the Peninsula you have Tascot, Koolewong which are nice areas. With very little extra commute.

There are plenty of people who work on the coast and live on the coast who are not priced out of the Sydney market, but instead want to live in the area. That is the market I was referring too.

ETA by the time you get to Woy Woy the extra 10 minutes on the train to Gosford is pretty much irrelevant.

If you are looking at a 500k+ purchase it is more likely you are making the lifestyle decision to live and work on the coast (or live and commute) and will be more picky in where you live.

And even if you go slightly up the Peninsula you have Tascot, Koolewong which are nice areas. With very little extra commute.

There are plenty of people who work on the coast and live on the coast who are not priced out of the Sydney market, but instead want to live in the area. That is the market I was referring too.

ETA by the time you get to Woy Woy the extra 10 minutes on the train to Gosford is pretty much irrelevant.
Fair enough, you have a good point. People who buy waterfront in Woy Woy/Umina/Ettalong and areas like South Umina and Umina Heights are generally not the entry level market but I understand most of the rest of the Peninsula is that way. I live in Blackwall so I'm only a few minutes drive from Woy Woy so I don't see it being that far. With the new carpark in Woy Woy as well, getting a park here is much easier than Gosford in the morning as well.

You are right though that Tascott, Koolewong, Point Clare etc are regarded as better areas. They also aren't that much more expensive than a lot of the Peninsula these days though, which is why I don't know how the demographic can be so different. Remember though, one of the worst child murders in Australia's history (and which made international news) happened in Point Clare years ago.
http://www.abc.net.au/pm/stories/s239408.htm

So just because a suburb is generally seen as good, doesn't mean bad things don't happen everywhere, and wont happen.

Building Inspector?

Im looking a purchasing soon at Umina/Blackwall area and am after a reliable Building Inspector.

Has anyone got any useful contacts?

I dont need cheap, just good.

Thanks

I just checked out umina today. I get the feeling that the stigma will soon be priced out and gentrification will start.

That's just a gut feeling, let's see if I was wrong in choosing NOT to invest there... Won't be the first time :rolleyes:

Back