Unreliable tradies!

It's important to remember that builders often have several projects on the go at the same time (by necessity to earn a living) and invariably there's going to be hiccups in timing along the way. After all, they're usually project-managing other tradies, and no matter how reliable, there are almost always unforseen circumstances that cause timing to be out.

Having said that, however, I also believe that common courtesy needs to be a higher priority as it's obvious that no-shows are unacceptable (and altogether too common!) I'm lucky enough to have a great builder :D but over the years it's been challenging when I've coordinated everything myself with separate tradies. My fav sparky just moved interstate this year so I've had to find another one, and yes it certainly takes time and effort to find reliable ones (who don't charge the earth!)

LOL.

As I said; a decent whack of past experience.

There are poor workers in every industry. The problem with building is people from another industry step in and presume they know best if they are white collar or tertiary educated, and get their panties in a knot when it isn't what they expected. An elitist view of sorts.

It is entirely unfair to generalise the whole industry because of your experiences in trying to manage building without actually being a building professional.

If you tried to manage a hospital, would you blame the staff for it falling to pieces, or realise you are not a medical professional and concede others know best?

There are poor workers in every industry. The problem with building is people from another industry step in and presume they know best if they are white collar or tertiary educated, and get their panties in a knot when it isn't what they expected. An elitist view of sorts.

It is entirely unfair to generalise the whole industry because of your experiences in trying to manage building without actually being a building professional.

If you tried to manage a hospital, would you blame the staff for it falling to pieces, or realise you are not a medical professional and concede others know best?
You need to reread my posts.

There are good ones (tradies).

Everyone has agreed to that.

This is a thread about unreliable tradies - why is that?

Last edited:
You need to reread my posts.

There are good ones.

Everyone has agreed to that.

This is a thread about unreliable tradies - why is that?

It is everyone's fault for hiring them. If you are having to use a trade that you cannot 100% trust, just stop, and get someone else to organise it for you. Hiring poor trades is no ones fault but yourselves.

I am a registered builder and manager for a luxury builder. If I attempt to bring in a trade and it backfires and they are unreliable, it is me who cops it on the chin.

Weekend warrior DIY folk need to take responsibility and realise they are not capable of carrying out all these works. This is everyone who is not a qualified tradesperson or a construction industry professional.

No other industry exists where people jump in with minimal experience (eg, not an industry professional) and just try do it. I would never try to build a computer, invest in shares or carry out laboratory testing. Building and trade contracting/management is no different.

Anyway, I will remove myself from the thread and self-moderate.

It is everyone's fault for hiring them. If you are having to use a trade that you cannot 100% trust, just stop, and get someone else to organise it for you. Hiring poor trades is no ones fault but yourselves.

I am a registered builder and manager for a luxury builder. If I attempt to bring in a trade and it backfires and they are unreliable, it is me who cops it on the chin.

Weekend warrior DIY folk need to take responsibility and realise they are not capable of carrying out all these works. This is everyone who is not a qualified tradesperson or a construction industry professional.

No other industry exists where people jump in with minimal experience (eg, not an industry professional) and just try do it. I would never try to build a computer, invest in shares or carry out laboratory testing. Building and trade contracting/management is no different.

Anyway, I will remove myself from the thread and self-moderate.

this is the elitest opinion you are talking about,

nobody is saying that they are experts, if we were experts, then we would be doing the work ourselves,

we are talking about courtesy, reliability, communication and manners,

this you dont need to be an expert in, and to expect this from someone you are paying is a common courtesy,

you do not need to be brain surgeon or an expert in trades to understand that if you tell someone you will be there at 12pm, not turning up, is going to F up their schedule and be a major inconvenience

nor is not informing someone that they will be 2 hours late or the scheduled finish date is 3 weeks behind because you decided to drink too much the night before

Tmnt, you are complaining that you can't get correct advice for DIY work, your DIY work is not up to scratch and you cannot get good tradies.

Seems to be only one common denominator with all your problems.

As usual there is two sides to a story.

Tradie bashing: valid or not?

I have little sympathy for homeowners who use second rate tradespeople, then tell the world about how bad all tradesmen are. The question I?d like to ask is what criteria are they using to make decisions about hiring the right tradesman?

I am a tradesman and can say unequivocally ?professionalism? is something few people are prepared to pay for when selecting a tradesperson. Qualifications, reputation, skillset, past knowledge and experiences stand for very little when it comes to comparing quotes. Ultimately, it comes down to who is the cheapest. As a result the industry continues to fail on delivering reasonable standards in workmanship and customer service.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/small-busines...alid-or-not-20140122-31868.html#ixzz36OW7LCEW

Last edited:
the unreliable tradies are usually the cheapest ones. the ones that are great communicators, reliable and are punctual are usually NOT the cheapest and are in demand so they can choose their clients. TMNT do u think tradies enjoy dealing with you?

the unreliable tradies are usually the cheapest ones. the ones that are great communicators, reliable and are punctual are usually NOT the cheapest and are in demand so they can choose their clients. TMNT do u think tradies enjoy dealing with you?

you may not believe me on this one, but every person who ive asked why I have so many problems with my people, has told me Im simply too nice and accomodating.

and if you are suggesting that I might have been rude, unappreciateive, demanding, selfish, arrogant , condescending, I can assure you that is not the case,

I know that if I stuff them around they will leave/quit and will cause me more headaches in finding a replacement,

this is even harder when im interstate or have a deadline.

Sometimes I buy them lunch, sometimes, ill take them to a few drinks at the pub, hell some of them I pick them up from home because its convenient or they dont have a car,

in fact a few people have said I have to be harsher on them, ie no show, you are fired, 3 sickies, you are fired, none of this buying them lunch stuff,

It's pretty simple. Here's what to do:

"Brrrp,brrrp....brrrp,brrrrp..." (phone ringing)

"Hello?" (Mrs. Smith answering her phone - she has a blocked sink)

"Hi, Mrs. Smith; this is Paul Jones from A-Plus plumbing here. I'm supposed to be coming out to your house this morning to look at a blocked sink for you, but this job I'm working on at the moment is taking longer than I thought."

"Oh, I see; when can you come then; I have to go out later for a doctor's appointment."

"I should be about an hour and half late. Is that ok? Sorry to muck you around."

"That's all right Paul; I'll call the doctor and see if I can change my appointment. Thanks for letting me know."

"Thanks Mrs. Smith. I'll get there as soon as I can."

TA-DA!

That's not what the dispute is here.

Here's one little anecdote for ya's:

When we built our current PPoR, they had to excavate a decent chunk of earth as we are up on a hill on a sloping block.

Our garage is on the boundary of next door's block. There is a wooden slat fence that separates our neighbor's front yard from the back yard and it ends on our boundary.

So, the excavator manages to clip one slat and break it off. He doesn't give a sheet and continues on, finishes his job and buggers off to next one.

A few days later the neighbor calls us (she is a friend) and mentions the broken bit.

I say; "No worries; I'll let the builder know and he'll get it fixed." It's about half an hour of his time and a piece of treated pine half a metre long.

So I'm on site with the builder a few days later and show him, and he says he'll get on to it.

The house gets built, fence doesn't get fixed, we move in, and the broken section is hidden behind our garage and lots of her trees.

Since then, we have had the neighbor at us to get onto the builder to fix the fence. We text him, and he texts us back, and on, and on it goes...

Several late night texts (no doubt fuelled by a few wines) from our neighbor about this broken fence, and a whinge every time she comes over for a wine and a swim, etc. Starting to get tiresome. We text the builder again; "Yes; I'll get on to that".

Eventually she gets fed-up and gets it fixed herself - $100 to get someone in.

We weren't told, and I could have done it for her for nothing, and had a laugh and a few wines with her and the wife as they watched me fix the bloody thing...nice pleasant hour on a Saturday afternoon, most likely.

But; the builder was promising and promising; so I stayed out of it. Now she's at us to get the builder to pay her back the $100.

He won't pay. The house cost almost $800k to build, and the friggin' dude won't cough up $100 for the lady (a widower). The wife sends him a semi-rude text along the lines of; "Stop being a tool and pay the lady her money, FFS."

Fast-forward to this week - 2.5 years later - he finally pays her the $100.

What a dikk-wad. And he wants folks to recommend him.

Last edited:

"Hello?" (Mr. Smith answering her phone - she has a blocked sink)

"Hi, Mrs. Smith; this is Paul Jones from A-Plus plumbing here. I'm supposed to be coming out to your house this morning to look at a blocked sink for you, but this job I'm working on at the moment is taking longer than I thought."

"Oh, I see; when can you come then; I have to go out later for a doctor's appointment."

"I should be about an hour and half late. Is that ok? Sorry to muck you around."

"That's all right Paul; I'll call the doctor and see if I can change my appointment. Thanks for letting me know."

TA-DA!

here is another example of a recent problem, that some have suggested it may have been my attitude.

Put ad up for someone to clean my roof, this guy replies, used to be a roof cleaner in a previous life, I say its not a hurry as long as its done in two weeks, im not fussed

comes over to do the job, uses my machine, gives it a try and says, your machine isnt good enough, we have to spray it to loosen it up,

me: ok, ill go buy some,
I buy it give it to him, he sprays it, and says he'll be back in three days to do it,

he comes back to do it with my machine, and says still cant do it, your machine not good enough, you'll need to hire a proper one, and there is a company down the road that hires them, I can pick it up tomorrow morning

next day no show
I call him, and he says he had some problems and he will do it tomorrow,
he turns up tomorrow with the machine,
does the job,

as he is cleaning up, I clean the machine, fill it up with petrol because the shop will charge me for petrol,

I say I dont have cash so Ill go the ATM and get it , Ill meet you at the ATM (he has packed the machine in the trailer to take back to the shop).

I meet him at the shops, give him a bit extra because he is driving the machine back plus he had to make a few trips

All was good until the week later I get an invoice for a full tank of petrol and an extra day $140 of rental

so he has kept the machine, used it for something else and returned it empty, and has not returned my calls

What did I do to deserve any of this?

Another recent case:

Me: hey mate, as promised, ive got a day of painting for you to do tomorrow, did you want to do it?
him: sure, what time?
me: 9am start, Im going past your house at about 8am because I have to pick up some stuff, did you want me to pick you up?
him: sure

8am, pick him up,

845am: hey is it ok if we go pick up some cigarettes and a red bull
850am: oh can you give me an advnace for a few hours work cos I have no cash
me: ok, here is $50,
we buy the stuff,

near the end of the day,
him: what time are we finishing? you want me to do 8 hours right? so start at 8am, finish at 4pm?

me: im like "WTF"
youve worked for me many times before, you dont get paid for lunch breaks, its always been like that , and you know it.
also, youve got to be joking that im going to pay you for me driving you to work? im doing you a favour and you expect me to pay you to do a favour
him: rant rant rant rant rant rant, I quit

So, if I hire a tradie to do a job for me, and I am not a construction industry professional, I should not complain if my tradie turns out to be shoddy.

We had a case last week where I sent off accurate mud-maps to four plasterers to quote a job. At the time, the house wasn't settled and so we didn't want to gain entry four times, nor did we want four plasterers all measuring at once. (I called for three quotes via a central website, but received four replies.) I would not have wasted the time of four plasterers, but having accurate measurements, I figured it was easy for them to give ballpark quotes based on my accurate measurements, and then we would choose one to come and measure up and give a firm quote.

When all four "ballpark" quotes came in (ranging from $3,800 to $10,900) I arranged entry with the vendors for the cheapest chap to quote. He came and measured. The "actual" measurement was accurate but two rooms I didn't have one wall measurement. I had over-estimated, so the "actual" measurement was less than what I had estimated for these two rooms. I thought the quote would stand. I didn't expect it to rise, but it went up by $1K. Even with that extra, his quote was still slightly less than the next quote. He seemed nice, knew his stuff, but I believe he saw the young client (our son) with us as back up and possibly thought "I'll increase the quote and see what happens".

We are taking a chance on whichever plasterer we accept, because we don't have a plasterer in our stable of regular tradies we use. Are you saying because we don't know a good plasterer, we should not be getting one in, but should be going to a "construction industry professional", i.e. get in a builder who would probably know a good plasterer, and we pay the builder his profit margin as well?

I don't think so...

"Hello?" (Mr. Smith answering her phone - she has a blocked sink)

TA-DA!

As a retired tradie myself that is exactly how I used to conduct business and that was before the convenience of a mobile phone.

There is no excuse for the pathetic behavior of trades today in most cases all you get is poor quality work, rip off prices, bad manners and bad attitude.

So, if I hire a tradie to do a job for me, and I am not a construction industry professional, I should not complain if my tradie turns out to be shoddy.
That's right.

And; make sure you buy him some beers so you get a decent job done - that doesn't come with the normal monetary incentives, apparently.

To not do so might incur a "go slow" and/or sub-standard result.

Generalising, of course.

TMNT

What were the qualifications, references, reputations, professionalism, experiences of these two tradesmen.

What checks did you carry out before employing them?

To me each raised red flags before they started the job.

Your roof cleaner was an ex roof cleaner with no equipment.

Your painter, no transport, no money.

TMNT

What were the qualifications, references, reputations, professionalism, experiences of these two tradesmen.

What checks did you carry out before employing them?

To me each raised red flags before they started the job.

Your roof cleaner was an ex roof cleaner with no equipment.

Your painter, no transport, no money.

please dont tell me you check the qualifications for some guy to clean the moss off your roof for a set fee which is done in 3 hours. I dont believe anyone that would check for a roof cleaner

you'd never get anything done in life

please dont tell me if you get someone to mow your lawns , you are going to check and call references, to see how good they were at checking the quality of the cut grass

in saying that, I understand what you are getting at, for large jobs I would check, this was by far a large job

so you'd never hire my dad who might have been in the trade for 30 years, but has recently retired and sold all his tools and decided to look for some side work because he was bored at home?

please dont tell me you check the qualifications for some guy to clean the moss off your roof for a set fee which is done in 3 hours. I dont believe anyone that would check for a roof cleaner

you'd never get anything done in life

please dont tell me if you get someone to mow your lawns , you are going to check and call references, to see how good they were at checking the quality of the cut grass

in saying that, I understand what you are getting at, for large jobs I would check, this was by far a large job

so you'd never hire my dad who might have been in the trade for 30 years, but has recently retired and sold all his tools and decided to look for some side work because he was bored at home?

Firstly your roof cleaner is an ex roof cleaner with no equipment, it's not hard to get a cleaner with eqipment and references.

That would save you time.

Why would I hire your dad to to a job when he hasn't the eqipment to do it,
Surely you can see the time and money you wasted by hiring an ex roof cleaner without the eqipment.

Tell us again about the time and money you wasted on hiring the equipment for the ex roof cleaner.

If you aren't professional in the way you employ tradesmen don't expect to employ professional tradesmen.

Would you advertise for an Accountant and then employ a person who was an ex Accountant and supply him with a computer because he didn't have one?

If you aren't professional in the way you employ tradesmen don't expect to employ professional tradesmen.

Would you advertise for an Accountant and then employ a person who was an ex Accountant and supply him with a computer because he didn't have one?

dont worry about it, its no use debating, you are like those people that say because you were doing 1km over the limit you are responsible for killing a drunk driver who was doing 60km over the limit and should be sent to life in jail

im sure you do full criminal checks, credit checks, veda checks, 15 references, to get someone to collect your mail as well

this thread was about personal courtesy and a degree of professionalism, and not about whether a guy who doesnt tell me he doesnt have a pressure cleaner and turns up to a job

you seem to be those people that think two wrongs make a right,

as far as im aware I wasnt raised to not be courteous to people unless they were courteous to me

Hi guys

My bus went past a guy wearing cardboard signs advertising this website this morning.

http://www.bathroomsavers.com.au/

I dont have much experience in renovating so can't really gauge the reasonableness of pricing.

Has anyone on ss used them? Any comments on their pricing?

Thanks in advance.

Back