"Unhealthy Economy" - ??????

Hey all

"Starting Development during an 'unhealthy economy' can be suicide.

The above is a quote from "Real Estate Development, Work Book & Manual".

I really have no clue about economy, i am just learning about this IMPORTANT factor.

Can any one advise or comment on the Brisbane / Australian / World economy, is it 'healthy' or 'unhealthy' at the moment.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Sarah

Sarah,

It's probably best to get the opinion of all different Banks ie ANZ
Maquarie, CWB. reports.
I think they're on the forum.

Justin

%%
Basil: Well, of course it's a rat! You have rats in Spain, don't you?
...Or did Franco have them all shot?
%%
Manuel: Is hamster.
Basil: Is not hamster. Hamsters are small and cuddly. Cuddle this, you'd
never play the guitar again.
%%
Basil: Can't we get you on Mastermind, Sybil? Next contestant Sybil
Fawlty from Torquay, special subject the bleeding obvious.
%%
Basil: I'll put an ad in the papers. Wanted, kind home for enormous
savage rodent. Answers to the name of Sybil.
%%
Sybil: No! I cannot abide cruelty to living creatures.
Basil: Well, I'm a creature. You can abide it to me.
Sybil: You're not living.
%%

Not very helpfull is it dare I say it is stating "bleeding obvious" (Basil Faulty) a pointless waste of paper and ink, unless it is then followed up with some meaningful facts and figures. I might as well write a manual saying "Dont pay too much for your investment property", "Avoid selling at a loss", "Dont invest when everything is going down the toliet".

Naturally Australia is going very well well near a golden age for Australia and Brisbane is better than the average. Has there ever been a better time in the Australian economy?

So here are my tips.

• Make sure you get your finance "rock solid", the last last last thing you want to do is run out of money at the end of a development project.
  • Make sure you know your market you are developing for, are you building what is in demand at a price range that is selling well.
  • If you are developing, everyone comes out of the woodwork offering services etc, be very carefull about making sure the whole thing doesnt end up being a excuse for a "profit sharing exercise" but with you taking 100% of the risk and sharing 100% of the profit. Many people are thinking this Mr X is going to make a whole bunch of $$$ from this development so I should ask for a bit more, do less and make a show and dance about how much I am helping him. To much "profit" sharing and the thing ends in a disaster!
  • Speed is important than saving a few $ on consultants, keep everyone on their toes, before a deliverable is due phone them up ask them how is it going, whats happening? If they are making excuses for others being late ask them what they have done to push them? Have frequent review meetings at regular intervals to keep everyone's eye on the ball. Then if anything is 5minutes late pounce on it a like a tiger on steriods! Remember they made a commitment to you to complete on a certain time for a certain cost, you cannot be a nice guy/girl about this, hold their feet to the flame of their own promises.
  • Keep it small and manageable, so even in the event of a problem you can keep your development yourself. You can always do it again!
  • Your profit margin is your insurance policy, if you are making a 10% margin and everything falls 15% you are in deap "doo-doo", if you have a margin of 25% and everything falls 15% you will still be OK. Dont say well I am new to the "game" so I will accept a lower margin to get experience. Because you are inexperience you need a higher margin (for error)...this is one of my mistakes.

Sarah,

That's a big question and the commentators often disagree on the answer...

First to verify what the question means...Does the book provide more detail on what it regards as a healthy vs unhealthy economy? I'd even recommend you contact the author to get their personal view.

The following is all my view from keeping an eye on economic indicators, papers, markets & talking with people:

Looking firstly at the global situation - which significantly influences Australian prospect:

Generally,
Interest rates are rising in a controlled manner
Unemployment rates are stable or falling
Inflation is low
Property cycles are or have reached their peaks in many developed countries
Resource / Primary Product prices are rising (resources had a 20 year dip)
Economic activity is increasing
Stock markets are rising slowly but steadily

Much of the western world is recovering from a downturn, excluding Australia which rode it out...we also kept our interest rates higher than did other developed countries.

The US situation is still a little unstable, massive debt, fallout & costs from the war & insecure economic management politically, though Greenspan is a ROCK.

China & India are booming & this looks to continue barring some catastrophic event, though the pace is likely to slow over the next ten years as they develop. It's slower to grow off a developed base than an undeveloped one.

Europe is on the upturn, but might be held back by the new EU entrants - many of the poorer and near bankrupt countries - though this could also provide them with cheaper labour. Russia is terminally sick but limping along with crutches as no-one wants anarchy there - they still have a lot of nuclear weapons.

Japan, well, the sick man of asia.....may be recovering, but it will be a slow process IMHO.

The Tigers, particularly South Korea, are doing well and are now experiencing more of the issues of the developed world than the developing.

South America is improving for the most part, but has had some recent shocks.

Africa - well.....who knows. We are all hopeful.

In my thinking we're in the cusp between a recession & a boom.

There's some downside risk led by the US & energy supply concerns (just takes a few bombs placed on key pipelines to cause a major panic).

But most of the world is economically improving & the stability of governments has been improving. Stable government is a key requirement for economic upturns.

Locally interest rates have more upwards than downwards pressure. The rising rates of our trading partners is likely to divert more dollars out of Australia, but our resource sector has been buoyed by world prices (though local investors still seem very pessimistic about Australian resource companies...there are a number of decent take-over targets for o/s interests).

Property has finished it's boom without a significant bust - others will argue, but if it's generally acknowledged that the boom ended in the last half of last year, we've had a six month period where there hasn't been a significant across the board collapse, just a plateau with some small adjustments & some continuing to decently perform regional markets - even major metros.

The rationales for why a collapse would start tomorrow when it didn't start, say, 5 months ago are, IMHO, growing quite weak.

Our business cycle is turning up, consumer sentiment is high & unemployment is still trending downwards.

There are no immiment political or social disasters on the horizon....we managed to survive an unpopular war without significant social unrest - it doesn't get much worse than that.

So on balance I reckon that Australia is doing well economically.

THere's significantly more likelihood of continuation of 'the good times' rather than the beginning of 'the bad times'.

However everyone has their own view on this - and the situation can look quite different from differing standpoints.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Sarah,

Short Answer: If the DEAL stacks up (being clear 25% profit after costs and risk) then go for it. Even if it is only 10% that still a lot of $$$$$ in developer figures.

However... being in the development game I have NEVER seen anyone sell a site with DA approval if it did stack up.

You make money on the land I was taught. Buy the land well and a almost a fool can make it work. Buy it too high and Einstein will struggle.

Private post me if you want more specific comment.

Peter 147

I pretty much agree with all that has been posted thus far.

Check, double-check and re-check your figures and conduct a sensitivity analysis to see what happens if, for example, costs go up by X%, the sales price of the finished development falls by Y%, and so on. You want to see how robust your profit margin is.

As for the state of the economy - for what it is worth my advice would be to focus on your market - which is Brisbane and SE Queensland. IMHO, the national / international situation is of most relevance to the extent that it affects interest rates and so on.

Queensland Economic Update - Qld State Treasury

Talking to people (bank managers, builders, retailers, etc) will also give you a feel for what is happening.

I hope it all goes well.

Mark

Wow, Aceyducey, how do you get to know so much (that's not meant to sound sarcastic!). Do you not have a day job, or is this it?

I would like to ask a related question. Research (and intelligence) are obviously the key to cutting through the 'bull' and hype that is out there. But what are the main criteria used to establish the true state of the housing market, within the context of the overall economic and social conditions. Some obvious ones spring to mind (median prices, vacancy rates, new build rates, mortgage applications, auction clearance rates). Or put differently, if you only had 5 indicators available to assess the market (current and future trends), what would they be?

nickshinner said:
Wow, Aceyducey, how do you get to know so much (that's not meant to sound sarcastic!). Do you not have a day job, or is this it?
It's all my opinion...based on reading a lot.

Investing IS my day job, but that does include a lot of different stuff. Though I am thinking about stepping back into the job market for a bit....for a holiday you could say :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Sarah

You may find the following - particularly the demand side factors - of interest.

Pitt St said:
What follows are some of my notes from a unit I studied years ago on Urban Economics.

NB - the unit (and these demand and supply factors) was focussed on LAND (not property in terms of houses, etc), however many of the factors would seem to be applicable to the latter.

Possible determinants of the demand for urban land (not property).

1. Income - the disposable (after tax) income of prospective buyers. "Demand" means desire backed by purchasing power, not just desire alone.

2. Price - the term "demand" should always be considered "the quantity demanded at a given price".

3. Cost and availability of finance - high interest rates will reduce the amount of borrowings that purchasers can afford, thus depressing the demand for land (not comments re: supply of land).

4. Demographic features of the population - The size of the population (in relation to a given area of land), age distribution, rate of household formation, rate of natural increase, immigration and emigration, geographical distribution, internal migration, etc., will have an effect on the demand for land.

5. Physical characteristics of the site - size, gradient, sub-soil, vegetation, prevailing winds, views, etc.

6. Proximity to amenities - Schools, shops, parks, sporting facilties, transport facilities, etc.

7. Proximity to employment opportunities

8. Rental opportunities - A thriving rental market might raise the value of land above that which could be obtained in a predominantly owner-occupied area.

9. Multiple occupancy - if planning laws permit higher density housing, then the land value may increase

10. Inflation and the expectation of inflation - the expectation of future inflation (or capital growth) will make people less unwilling to pay higher prices

11. Government grants, eg. FHOG, etc. The actual outcome (whether or not it is better for buyers) depends on whether it is a buyers' market or a sellers' market, eg. on the elasticities of supply and demand.

12. Re-zoning or the prospect of re-zoning - Huge increases in land values often occur when land is re-zoned from a lower to a higher use, eg. from farming to residential or from residential to industrial. The expectation of a future re-zoning will promote an upward trend in land values, accelerating as the actual re-zoning approaches.

13. Zoning restrictions - the value of land will tend to rise if the amount of land zoned for a particular purpose in a particular area is less than the amount required for that purpose in that area.

14. The state of the economy - land prices, like the prices of other commodities will be affected by the general state of the economy, eg. by the affluence of the population, employment (and unemployment), CPI, and wealth and income factors.

15. Superannuation and retirement schemes - Lump sum payments can boost the market for land as such money is often invested in real estate.

16. Neighourhood effects - Surrounding developments etc. can affect the value of a property. For example, the construction of a busy road, an airport or a factory could reduce land values. Conversely, the construction of a bridge, development of a recreational park, or the closure of a street to through traffic could raise land values.

Possible determinants of the supply for urban land (not property).

1. Physical features - the supply of land is affected by phyisical features such as rivers, mountains and land gradients.

2. Density of development - physical limitations on the supply of land can be offset to tome extent by more intensive development

3. Time period - any talk of the "supply" of land must occur within the context of a time period. In the very short run the supply of land coming onto the market is relatively fixed. Over a longer time period there will be some flexibility in the supply of urban land, and the supply will tend to be more responsive to changes in prices.

4. Substitution between uses - even though the total supply of land might be fixed, the supply of land for one particular use (eg. residential) could be increased by transferring land from other uses (eg. recreational and industrial).

5. Allotment stocks - the rate at which the supply of residential allotments can be increased in response to an increase in demand will depend on the size of the current stock of vacant allotments and of the motivations of the owners of those allotments.

6. Speculation - On the one hand it is argued that speculators, by withholding land from the market or by only allowing it to 'trickle through' in small quantities, force land prices up and expolit the end users of land. On the other hand, it is argued that speculators perform a useful role in the urban land market: they assist in the operation of the price mechanism by ensuring that sites are allocated to the highest bidder and thus put to their 'highest' use, and by investing funds and taking risks they faciltate the development process.

7. Monopolies and restrictive practices - the supply of urban land coming forward onto the market at any given time, place and price (as distinct from the quantity of zoned land already in existence) can be affected by the degree of concentration of ownership and / or by restrictive agreements (explicit or implicit) between owners.

8. Development costs - The costs of development and of the projected profits to the developer can affect the supply of urban land. Developers will, of course, attempt to pass these costs onto consumers but their success in doing so is limited by the price elasticity of demand.

9. Administrative delays - Developers frequently argue that a major contributing factor to the high price of developed sites is the time taken to obtain the required approval from many departments. It is also the case that in some instances the requirements of departments can (and have been) contradictory.

10. Taxes and land rates - As an example, high levels of land tax and rates have the potential to discourage people from holding large amounts of land and could therefore encourage them to bring that land onto the market.

11. Interest rates - needless to say, high interest rates tend to reduce the demand for land and hence reduce land prices. However, high interest rates tend to raise the cost of financing development - thus forcing prices up. The net result is difficult to predict as it will depend upon the relative strengths of opposing forces. Depending on the ability to raise rents, higher interest rates also have the capacity to decrease the value of rental property because, if rents cannot be increased, the higher interest rates will reduce the present value of expected rents; and lending money at high interest rates could become more profitable than investing in rental property.

12. Government charges - eg stamp duties. Owners and developers will try to pass these charges on to the buyers, thus tending to raise the supply price of land, but as in the case of taxes the precise incidence (who pays in the end) is not clear (it depends upon the slope of the demand curve, among other things).

13. Death duties - With no death duties in Australia, the need to sell land to pay a tax liability is greatly reduced.

Last edited:
nickshinner said:
What are the main criteria used to establish the true state of the housing market, within the context of the overall economic and social conditions. Some obvious ones spring to mind (median prices, vacancy rates, new build rates, mortgage applications, auction clearance rates). Or put differently, if you only had 5 indicators available to assess the market (current and future trends), what would they be?

How microeconomic do you want to take it?

As an example, Herron Todd White publish National (capital city) and Queensland (towns and cities) Market Reports.

The variables they report on are:

- Rental vacancy situation
- Rental vacancy trend
- Demand for new houses [units]
- Trend in new house [unit] construction
- Volume of sales
- Stage of the cycle
- Are new properties sold at prices that exceed their potential resale value?

At a more national level

Housing Market Indicators

Home loan affordability indicator

Owner Occupied Housing Finance

Lending Finance / Purchase of Houses for Rent or Resale

Building approvals

General Economic Indicators

Consumer Price Index

Cash & Housing Interest Rates

Prime Interest Rate / Real Prime Interest Rate

Business Investment

Unemployment

Last edited:
Pitt St,

Thank you for that.

Would I be right in thinking that the Market Indicators you list are the key factors that affect the housing market, rather than indicators of the state of the market itself?

nickshinner said:
Would I be right in thinking that the Market Indicators you list are the key factors that affect the housing market, rather than indicators of the state of the market itself?

I may need to get you to clarify what you mean when you say "the state of the market" itself.

What specific "market" do you refer to?

If it helps, what I meant was this:

- the Herron Todd White variables are indicative of the strength of the real estate market within any defined location (eg. Brisbane, Sydney, Rockhampton, etc)

- the Housing Market Indicators are also indicative of the strength of the real estate market - albeit at a national level (remembering that these would be largely influenced by the major capital cities)

- the General Economic Indicators are short list of national macroeconomic variables that illustrate the strength, and possible future direction, of the Australian economy. Of course, these then have the capacity to impact on the other 2.

However, if you were looking for a list of local (eg. Rockhampton) economic variables, then my list would be:

- household income

- unemployment

- industry structure. A diverse employment base implies a more stable local economy. Towns / cities that only have one or two major industries or employers will very much find that their fortunes rise and fall on the back of that employer. Of course people will say - "look at Newcastle" - it has thrived since BHP pulled out, but as the latest API says, Newcastle is arguably now more economically stable than at any other time in recent history as it has a diverse employment base.

- population (numbers of persons, projected growth, whether that growth fuelled by internal factors or new arrivals, demographics - such as age, persons per household, etc)

MB

Last edited:
Back