Unlucky numbers

Are there cultural issues that can effect real estate?

I know that some asian cultures have a reluctance for certain house numbers. Can we compile a list of these from our forum experts to better inform ourselves when purchasing IPs?

Are there any other?

Scott

Scott,

Don't forget the number of high-rises without a 13th floor - a nice western superstition :)

Also who'd want to live in unit no.666 (the number of the beast) or for that matter numbers 665 and 667 (the neighbours of the beast).

Numerology aside, many people with families from the middle-east have a preference for tiles over carpet - easier to maintain, etc.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

scott said:
Are there cultural issues that can effect real estate?

I know that some asian cultures have a reluctance for certain house numbers. Can we compile a list of these from our forum experts to better inform ourselves when purchasing IPs?

Are there any other?

Scott

I don't know of unlucky numbers although 13 springs to mind. When I was leasing out an ip number 99, there were prospective tenants who thought the number was very favorable. I have no idea why. :)

I was told once by a property manager that I lost prospective Asian tenants when they discovered the IP had the number 4 in its street address.

Cheers
Ellie :)

leapyeah said:
I was told once by a property manager that I lost prospective Asian tenants when they discovered the IP had the number 4 in its street address.

Cheers
Ellie :)
I've just leased a unit in street number 44 to as Thai couple.

No. 4 in chinese is the word 'si' this word also means dead/death hence it being unlucky. Historically a lot of mission organisations bought up properties with the number 4 cos they were cheap.

I can confirm 4 is the baddie. 14 is worst.

3 and 8 are goodies. esp 8. even moreso 28.

other Asian superstitions to respect are:
- never give a clock as a present. this is associated with attending a funeral.
- white is a colour of mourning, so if you are renovating for the Asians, get a feng shui consultant in as well as a geomancer.

Hi ALL,

4 is bad, anything adding up to 4 or 14 or 34 and so on, like street number 239, 2 3 9 ands up to 14

A flight of stairs directly in line with the front door is bad.

Being able to see thru the fronmt door straight thru to the back door is also bad,

GG

When my parents were selling their house about 20 years ago, a Vietnamese family were interested but only if they removed all the trees in the backyard first. I'm not sure if it was the amount of tress, the type of trees or just trees in general, but they didn't like them.

I still don't know the significance, but I live in an area heavily populated by Vietnamese and their own houses are usually surrounded by concrete - not a tree in sight, although they do rockeries and shrubs in pots.

Olly

Magic numbers...

Hi,

Here's a real estate agents persepctive...

4 means death
14 is instant death
24 is double death

Many australian are now using Feng shui number principles when they buy.

8 is eternal good luck and good fortune (8 and 88, etc)
9 is also a lucky number (i.e. 9 and 99, etc)

I've done a house contract with an asian family at... $ 888,888.88

By the way.... my street number is 29 (29 = double wealth ???)

Ross for Property
Ross on the Gold Coast

Aceyducey said:
Scott,

Don't forget the number of high-rises without a 13th floor - a nice western superstition :)

Also who'd want to live in unit no.666 (the number of the beast) or for that matter numbers 665 and 667 (the neighbours of the beast).

Numerology aside, many people with families from the middle-east have a preference for tiles over carpet - easier to maintain, etc.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Yeah but Acey

There was an article in The Age this week that British hospitals have reported something like 27,000 cases in the last year where people fell in their own homes on shiny floorboards. Prioer to the 'latest decorator craze' when everybody had carpet, falls caused injuries to around 2,000 people each year (on average and seasonally adjusted!!)

What's that old saying?? 'You make your own luck'!

Perhaps polishing floorboards is not so lucky after all

Kristine

Kristine.. said:
There was an article in The Age this week that British hospitals have reported something like 27,000 cases in the last year where people fell in their own homes on shiny floorboards. Prior to the 'latest decorator craze' when everybody had carpet, falls caused injuries to around 2,000 people each year (on average and seasonally adjusted!!)
Hey Tibor - got a product for this yet?

(only half tongue-in-cheek)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Olly said:
When my parents were selling their house about 20 years ago, a Vietnamese family were interested but only if they removed all the trees in the backyard first. I'm not sure if it was the amount of tress, the type of trees or just trees in general, but they didn't like them.

I still don't know the significance, but I live in an area heavily populated by Vietnamese and their own houses are usually surrounded by concrete - not a tree in sight, although they do rockeries and shrubs in pots.

Olly

When I was younger and they started moving in their theory was trees gave cover to attackers and double brick walls were better for stopping bullets. Thet have eased back on that position now and look for 5+ bedrooms.

bundy

Back