Unquestioned belief - Cars

Rolf Latham said:
Hiya

Old Benzes and Pugs get my vote for long lived reliability.

Just have a look at any middle eastern country and there will a squillion old benzes, same as in many parts of africa the old 403s, 404 and 504s are very common

ta

rolf

I can't say I noticed any benzes, but in Egypt it was Renaults, they were everywhere.
Personally I've always been a Toyota fan, I had two Toyota Crowns (1968 and 1972 from memory) followed by a Toyota Corona (1977) and honestly, you'd have to run over them with a truck to kill them. I only ditched the Corona because I figured it really didn't inspire confidence in people buying wrap houses from me (my car was usually heaps worse than theirs!) and it did start to have rust issues.
Nowadays I have a Mitsubishi Lancer (1987) and it's been a good little car, but still not as good as the old Toyotas.

Wow - stacks of responses.

Do we have an answer though? =)

Of course I know about novated leases, commercial hire purchase etc etc

Still doesnt mean a new car doesnt drop big $$$ when you leave the showroom (unless you and Mr Stooge do some work)

I like quick cars - the insurance company loves me, under 25, turbo, highly modified, engine conversion.

Its good fun pulling upto (on private roads) stock M3's NSX's Esprits, Countach's Diablo's and watching their reaction and the "whats in that" qn's

The GT series Porsche would still leave most in its wake.

Those cars might just win over in class (just :p)

sorry guys - I have been very busy and never had a chance to respond to my initial comment. It is based upon my frustration with my extended family... example 1 "we can't afford a new car!" - fair enough. next time I see them they have a demo Astra. demo - great. save much? well not in my opinion, they could have gone to a broker (private fleet for example) and saved that much on a brand new car. the mileage on this demo? 38,000kms. you what? ok... so cousin takes this Astra on a country trip, something about the front wheel struts collapse or whatever, upshot is its a big job and in the process it stuffed the tyres up and they need replacing too. Then my father, example # 2, again "we cant afford a new car" - strewth not again, so I sent him out to get his best deal on a second hand Patrol. Mean while I went to private fleet and knocked $8,000 of the RRP for a 4.2l turbo patrol... brand new, no half worn out tyres, no thrashed engines, no ex mining company cars, no repaired panels... nope, the full 3 year warranty with aussie wide roadside assistance, own colour selection and that great smell. Then, example 3 is my other cousin in her lancer - she saved maybe a grand by buying someone elses cast off. she had to buy that car as a friend had sold her a hyundai 6 months before for $4000 but the gear box exploded and needed $2k of work, so I think they begged someone to take that away. Example 4, another other cousin, got completely ripped with his 'SS' - thats in quotes because when he got it home it wasnt actually an SS and when he took it back to the yard the next day, they had lost the paperwork!! wonder what his interest rate is, if its south of 15% I'd be surprised. They did eventually swap it for sone other over priced commodroe. All I am saying here is: shop hard on the retail price, finance with minimal interest rates and in a tax effective manner, enjoy it, thrash it and sell it at a residual that other countries don't enjoy, simply because there are millions of people in Aussie that hold it dear to their heart that the best deal is second hand! I think that is great compared to driving a bomb and having to fix it all the time - and bombs do depreciate too unless you have something thats very old. There are other factors: fuel efficiency, reliability, safety and the final one - lifes too short!

Damn and I was hoping for a magic answer =)

Thanks for the reply Ausprop I appreciate it.

NRMA provides costs over 5yrs of most new cars, compare those to your current budget - you may or may not be able to save money on a new car.

Once again, its all about crunching the numbers.

yeh sorry to get your hopes up there!

in a nutshell, something like a new mazda 6 should cost about $25 a week after tax. Compared to the price of beer these days I think it's pretty good!

Back