Update to squatter/friend saga

I've posted 3 previous posts about my tenant going back to NZ and moving his friend in and how the PM wasn't doing much about it.

Last Thursday I saw the principal of the agency. I told him I wasn't happy with the way PM was handling the situation. Principal said to give him a couple of days to see if friend knew where tenant was so they could get a letter from tenant terminating lease.

Why didn't PM do this????

I gave principal written instructions about going to tribunal but he said this would be quicker. I also gave him 2 pages of notes about the situation.

Didn't hear from principal until Monday. Friend got letter from tenant and provided NZ landlord references and they would ring me on Tuesday.

Didn't hear from them so rang them this morning (Thursday). Had to speak to PM about it. He hadn't checked references yet but would do it right now.

I said if I take him I want to put the rent up to $195 per week ($5 increase). He immediately said you can't do that. I said why not if it's a new lease. He goes, I don't know, I'll have to find out. :eek:

He rang me back about 30 mins later. Yes, you can put the rent up to $195 on the new lease. I CAN'T BELIEVE he didn't know that!!!!

He said probably on Saturday he can do the outgoing inspection, then ingoing inspection, sign new lease. The friend doesn't have a phone but is getting a mobile today or tomorrow. The old tenant sent a letter asking for the bond to be transferred and PM said he rang the rental bond board to check if he could do that and they said yes since they've got his signature. And friend will have to pay an extra $20 for the bond since I'm putting the rent up.

I'm seriously considering managing it myself since PM doesn't even know you can put the rent up on a new lease! UNBELIEVABLE!

On Tuesday it will be 3 weeks since I told PM about this situation and it's only getting sorted out now! :(

jennyn said:
On Tuesday it will be 3 weeks since I told PM about this situation and it's only getting sorted out now! :(

Gosh, it goes from bad to worse.. Even if you dont end up self managing I'd be changing agents when the issue is resolved.

I've been self-managing my own portfolio for a while now and I sleep much better at night now.

The process might seem intimidating at first but in my experience (for SA at least) the Residential Tenancies Act is quite straightforward and backed up with good support and advice by the Government Body that manages it.

One of our very own forum contributors has even produced a book on self managing properties that available from Choice Magazine "The Real Estate Rookies Guide to Property Management".

http://www.choice.com.au/viewProduct.aspx?sku=REMP

Cheers,

Duncan

Jenny
It annoys me that you have to pay for incompetent people and their mistakes...if this was my property I would start interviewing new PM companies today....good luck
Ecogirl

Ecogirl said:
Jenny
It annoys me that you have to pay for incompetent people and their mistakes...if this was my property I would start interviewing new PM companies today....good luck
Ecogirl

Jenny could even use the scenario she has just gone through as a great interview question..ie: "How would you handled this situation......" and gone on to describe her squatter situation..

Jenny is now very well qualified to assess their responses!

You've been treated badly by an inept PM. In view of their inaction, delay and extra risk to your property, it would be reasonable for the PM to take responsibility and complete the changeover of tenant, lease etc at no cost to you. The principal doesn't want the Tribunal to know about their negligence. Hope you find a better PM real soon after things settle down.
good luck
crest133

Hi All,

I didn't think about the principal not wanting the Tribunal to know how crap they were when he wasn't keen to go to Tribunal. :(

The PM rang me at lunchtime today (Saturday). He did the inspections and everything was fine and the unit was clean. Then he said he signed the new tenant last evening, BUT as far as I understand from what he said, THIS MORNING WAS THE FIRST TIME HE'D SEEN THE UNIT since the abandoning tenant moved in just before Christmas!

Now I'm going to post a new thread about how to change PMs :)

I'm checking out that Choice link. Thanks for that. :)

Back