UPS recommendations

My current Belkin UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply) has finally carked it.

Time for a newie.

Whats trending out there and what are peoples recommendations?

I use the Eaton Powerware units across most clients these days and they are good units. Used to use UPSonic but after a string of failures I dumped them.

What sorta size load you got on it? How was your current one connected?

I like eaton power ware or apc smart ups. Generally get them with the network module so that the ups software can control multiple devices on the network. But depends on what you're doing :)

Thanks for the replies, cheers.

Running:
Imac 20inch
External HD
Bigpond modem
Multi USB port
Phone
few other bits not so important.

Was using Belkin 800VA

Now thinking of Eaton 5S1200AU
or the 5S850AU..?

Should do for another 6-10 years with replacable batteries...what do you guys reckon?

We have very unreliable power supply here with interruptions that can occur anytime any weather, like this morning perfect day and a 5 second power cut.

I assume you've looked into resolving the unstable power issue there already?

Please tell me you don't have a laser printer on the UPS?

If you're using a mac (then I'll save comments about you for another time :mad:), just check on the vendor's website that their management software is supported.

I assume you've looked into resolving the unstable power issue there already?

Please tell me you don't have a laser printer on the UPS?

If you're using a mac (then I'll save comments about you for another time :mad:), just check on the vendor's website that their management software is supported.

Ah, ok not sure if you are being facetious or not but I will answer honestly and forthrightly with no smart **** remarks, just truth.

I cant control the power supply we have here, that's up to Country Energy (now Origin Energy). It's rural and totally unreliable, not up to me mate.

I dont have a laser printer or any printer on the UPS. I put the printer on it's own power point as it's not a "must have" power supply item, but surely It could go on one of the surge outlets...?

Whats this crap about getting back to me about having a Mac...?
The Belkin I had was supported, or should I say the Imac already knew how to handle the UPS and was able to shut down (if I was not in attendance).
I should imagine it will be the same with any new UPS.

Thanks for your critisisms and no help.

It's actually been helpful...;):)

Thanks for your critisisms and no help.

That's a bit rough mate. I was being facetious about the mac because I don't like them, but I feel all 3 points were valid. I was only trying to help, but to clarify:

1) Wasn't accusing you but some people do try to bandaid their situations by buying additional gear without resolving underlying issue.

2) Printers can damage or reduce lifespan of ups, not everyone knows that so thought it was worth mentioning. If that's what happened with your previous one, knowing that will save your new one.

3) Lots of software isn't compatible with macs, so definitely worth checking that out before the outlay. It'll probably be fine but no harm in checking :)

I cant control the power supply we have here, that's up to Country Energy (now Origin Energy). It's rural and totally unreliable, not up to me mate.

If you have noisy/peaky power then ensure you get at least a line interactive or preferably a dual conversion (online) ups. A cheaper standby unit wont last long in the environment you are talking about.

Thanks Dave, I am looking at Line Interactive only as I think it's what killed the last one.

However it did last for many years.

Only thing Im not sure about is what size to get?

Im not techie so please go easy.

Back