Urgent asbestos question

Does asbestos look like it's got hairs through it? Ceiling of a 1972 house that I'm renoing has it and I've been sanding the crap out of it. How do I find out?

Not sure about the testing options, but I reckon it's more likely to be fibrous plaster i.e. no asbestos.
You obviously need to get it checked, though.
Scott

Fibro (asbestos) sheeting is very hard. Fibrous plaster will be rather soft by comparison (looks like it has horse hairs in it).
In fact, the older stuff DID have horse hairs in it!

We have various sheets of fibro here. Some labelled hardie's villaboard, some just plain stuff that is kind of white and fluffy when you break it. I don't trust any of it.

Sounds like it is horse hair plaster,can you take a photo of it and someone here can identify it.
The plaster should be around 15mm thick,asbestos is a lot thinner and harder,

I would say its plaster, a couple of photo's would be helpful as well. However getting it tested will give you peice of mind. In QLD its done by QLD labs and cost about $150 and a full report is given. Not sure about WA but give your Master Builders Association a call I'm sure they will point you in the right direction.

Brian

Thanks i think it is the "horse hair" plaster one. I stopped sanding it anyway and sealed it. I did take photos but they are not clear.

Thanks for your help

Back